16" Tom build

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by wackjob, Mar 9, 2019.

1. wackjob

wackjob Well-Known Member

Hey,

I am going to have a 16"tom shell built for me until i can find a matching drum to my 1990's genista in terraverdi green. Shell is going to be birch 16"x12", 10 ply, 6mm and the manufacturer has told me he can undersize the shells by 6mm just like the 1990's genista. Original genista shells are 7ply 5.5mm in baltic birch i believe so my new shell will be similar and the most important thing is it will be undersized like the originals.

I will have to finish it myself which will be a challenge. I am not looking for perfection but would like to do the best job i can. Lugs will be a problem. I have some old speedboat style premier fittings that i could use or i could use a free floating idea i have. I have some round brass bar that could be cut to length, drilled and tapped at the ends to accept tuning rods. Only problems are (apart from not looking like the originals) that the two heads will have to be at the same tension and it wont be usable at lower tensions (thankfully i tune medium to high ).

I have no idea which hoops to purchase - anyone got any ideas ? 1.6mm or 2.4mm ? Also mounting method is yet to be decided. I want it to be a hanging tom and don't want to drill the shell if i canget away with it.

Any advice gratefully received, Stu

2. Tmcfour

Tmcfour DFO Veteran

I'd check ebay for lugs. I just looked and there are some Premier lugs on there. I'm not familiar enough with Premier to know exactly what you are looking for though.

3. cworrick

cworrick The BIG Bunny on the block

Start a post in the market section under wanted. You would be surprised at what everyone here has hidden in their parts bins.

4. CherryClassic

CherryClassic DFO Veteran

As for mounting; that's a big drum for hanging with lug style mounting but you might want to contact INDe Drum Lab. INDe has some nice mounts that replaces the lug so you don't have to drill extra holes. Ludwig also has a nice ATLAS mount that works the same way. With either mount you could install three at the bottom and use legs, although I wouldn't recommend ATLAS for this purpose because they are heavy and a bigger case will be needed plus it will kill some resonance with three mounts. Pearl Air Feet will help fix that problem.

If your really bent on hanging the tom I would recommend a RIMS mounting type system.

I think first I would call Josh at INDe Drum Labs and see what he would recommend and I think he will be honest with you.

sherm

5. fibes3

fibes3 Well-Known Member

Stu,
    Do you have a photo of terraverdi green?
    Is it a wrap, paint, or a stain?
    Gauger percussion also offers a rims system.

Good luck with the project and post some photos of your progress.
    Dave

CherryClassic likes this.
  6. CherryClassic

Thanks Dave, I couldn't remember the name Gauger Percussion.

sherm

7. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

This is a kit of Genistas in Terraverdi Green stain.
    [​IMG]
    Wack, what are the other sizes in your kit? I'm curious why you are going with the 12X16 size. Was that available in the Genista series?

The Terraverdi Green should not be a hard stain to match, especially if you get some help from a vendor who specializes in mixing custom stains. The delicate part of your build will be finishing the tom in the beautiful glossy finish. If you have a friend in the auto repair business, now would be the time to use that friendship and have him to do the clear coat finish with an automotive two-stage clear. If you don't have a friend in the business, I'm sure any shop will be happy to spray the clear coat for you, and at a very reasonable cost. All the shops will have the clear coat paint on hand as a matter of doing cars every day. Spraying a tom will be a fast, easy project for them. Just have your shell taped off and ready to spray, and all they will have to do is hang it and spray it.

Or, you can do the finish work yourself with some patient, time involved labor. You can do this in several ways, but the two most common is to either use multiple coats of spray can lacquer interspersed with sanding between coats and final polishing, or doing the same with a brush-on polyurethane: apply, dry, sand; apply, dry, sand; repeat several times, then finish with a final sanding and buffing with buffing compound.

I would not waste my time with non-Genista lugs. As noted, post a wanted thread here and buy the Genista lugs to start with.

GeeDeeEmm

8. CherryClassic

After seeing the lugs above I'm not sure the INDe or ATLAS mounts will work, they require two holes. Do the Genista's have one or two holes for mounting?

I would use the rim style mounting as seen above or the Gauger RIMS mounting system if I were you.

Nice looking drums, BTW:

Just a thought,
    sherm

9. wackjob

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Genista lugs seem to be available as they are back in production now (but not made in England and only 3mm undersized now). The lugs are expensive though - £6 each (not sure what that is in USD). 16 x 8 = £128.

Why 16 x 12" ? - dont know really. The toms i have are 8x10, 8x12 and 10x14. 12x16 seemed a logical progression for hanging toms.

Does it have to be hanging ? - not necessarily. My 10x14 is hanging in the position that a floor tom would be. I use a rack and it would be easy to hang a 16" as well. I am after maximum resonance so if going down the floor tom route i dont know what to use for attaching the legs.

The genista lugs need two holes so inde thingy will work.

Many thanks, Stu

10. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

Wack, your current tom sizes are all (what used to be called) "standard" sizes, and the next size up the list for a floor tom would be 14X16, and that's what I would go with. One of my kits has a 14X16 tom on it, and it's an aggressive little beast that is one of the favorite floor toms I've owned.

The Genistas are some of the prettiest and best-sounding drums Premier ever made (or, at least that's true of the older drums - I don't know about current production. )

1 pound = 1.3 US dollars, so the Genista lugs are approximately $7.80. That is a little pricey, but you need them, so just swallow the cost and get on with it - that'd be my recommendation. You'll buy them once and maybe use them for the rest of your life. And, you may be able to convince your local drum shop to sell them to you at a 20% discount since you will need 16 of them. (You can be fairly confident that the shop is paying roughly 3lbs for each lug, maybe even less. See if you can make a deal.)

Suspending your new tom with a RIMS mount just makes sense in your situation - so no worry about tom legs.

GeeDeeEmm

CherryClassic likes this.
  11. wackjob

Thanks all.

I am in no rush with this project so will ponder over it for a while. 14x16" is probably the depth they were made originally. I will see if i can find any genista lugs cheaper than what i have already found.

The finish is what gives me the biggest headache though. Might pass the high gloss work to a vehicle body shop as it seems like a skill i might not possess.

Thanks, Stu

12. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I just did a refinish using Varathene full gloss - it was surprisingly easy to use and did a pretty good job. I will be doing another kit soon and do it by hand (no sprayer here!)......I applied with a foam brush. Since it was over a textured finish, I could not sand it, but it turned out okay anyway. It would be much nice if I could sand.....