18” bass drum

Discussion in 'General' started by Eabmoto, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Eabmoto

Eabmoto Member

i just got an 18” Yamaha stage custom. I like the idea of playing it without a riser. I’m happy with the sound I’m getting but when I burry the beater in the head I can’t prevent a “buzz roll” type rebound before resting on the head. When I lean a big pillow up against the front head it stops but no other type of muffler, inside or out, works. Plus I like a little more open sound then that. Any suggestions? Is this just what happens when hitting the head farther out away from center?

2. Tornado

Tornado Very well Known Member

Might need to port the head if you want to bury the beater on an 18.

ludwigfire likes this.
  3. JDA

JDA DFO Master

Take the heads back down to zero and bring them back up -not as tight..
    Start the whole process over again (plus gives something to do !
    Take em off and start over.
    Don't have to be tight especially the batter. Front can go up pitch.

mlayton likes this.
  4. spazapproved

spazapproved Well-Known Member

try loosening the two top claws on the batter side.

Mongrel and mlayton like this.
  5. Eabmoto

Eabmoto Member

Thanks for all the info. I’ll try it all and let you know.

6. mark2456

mark2456 Well-Known Member

I’ve had the best sound on my 18” bass by using an Aquarian SK1 batter and setting the lugs at 71 hertz and a Remo Abassador lugs set at 107 hertz. I burned a 2” diameter hole about an inch up from the bottom of the head. No muffling inside the drum at all no muffling on either head. That 2” hole stop the beater flutter and let the drum sing a nice resonate note.

Monty likes this.
  7. CherryClassic

CherryClassic DFO Veteran

I have a 16x18 with Fiberskyn PS3 heads on both sides; a small bath towel touching the batter head; the reso head has 4" port just inside of the PS3 ring betwen 4 ans 5 o'clock; and it's tight enough to get a nice tone with the reso tuned a little higher than the batter. I'm getting a nice full mellow tone that can be controlled with the pedal and the amount of muffling you have inside. There are times when you want to bury the pedal and times you will feather it depending on the style of the song.

I don't know if it matters if it's on a riser or not, some people like them and some don't. Mine is on a Dixon riser with Pearl Air Feet on the spurs.

Actually all of the above is personal preference so experimentation is your best tool.

Enjoy,
    sherm

8. Eabmoto

Eabmoto Member

I will be getting some new heads at some point but for now I’m hoping some tuning and a port will do the trick. I’m liking the sound when I let it ring but need to be able to bury it at times. I also am really liking the feel of the rebound when doing doubles. It’s much different then my 22”. I’ve wanted a 16-18” kick for years so I’m having fun with this.

9. musiqman

musiqman Well-Known Member

You can also do with out a port. I had the PHX kick without a riser and didn’t use a port. Only a Powerstroke Pro as a batter and a regular Powerstroke on the front. Both ebony models.

If I wanted a muted sound I used a thick hanckerchief-like mini towel rolled up and placed outside, between the pedal and the head.

I could go very high in tuning when needed.

10. CherryClassic

Yes that works to; I'm using a small towel like that with my new 20" bass drum only because I haven't cut in a port at this time. If you can put it inside it'll be one more thing less to deal with. Actually if you don't want a port remove the head drop in a towel and re install the head. All you have to do is tilt the drum back so the towel will fall to the batter head when setting up. It's DONE. The only reason I use a port is for a sound system if one happens to be used at a specific location.

sherm

musiqman likes this.
  11. Neal Pert

Neal Pert Very well Known Member

One thing that hasn't yet been mentioned: Sometimes the angle of the drum itself can make the bass drum harder to control. Try raising and lowering the height of the bass drum spurs-- it can change where in the stroke the beater hits the head.

12. musiqman

musiqman Well-Known Member

In this case I had put the towel on the outside between the pedal and head and only when it was needed.

On my new kit I do have ports on the two kicks because it came with it. Otherwise I wouldn’t have it.

CherryClassic likes this.
  13. Eabmoto

Eabmoto Member

I’m going to try a port cause I want new heads anyway so I can experiment with the one that came with the drum. The drum is angled slightly back but my beater head is shaped with an angle so it hits flat.

14. Stickclick

Stickclick Well-Known Member

I put a paperback book under my 18 inch bass drum near the kick pedal. The drum is up off the floor, I like the sound better.

15. Eabmoto

Eabmoto Member

The pedal holds the drum off the floor. Are you saying it sounds better because of where the beater is hitting the head? And also, I would think the drum would then be holding the pedal off the floor.

16. CherryClassic

I'm not too sure, it could be possible that a petal clamp would dampen the sound to some degree. But what I do know is the drums seem to sound better on a short riser. Maybe the angle makes it sound better from behind the kit, I don't know but it does. LOL

sherm

17. jtpaistegeist

jtpaistegeist Very well Known Member

This one hits home for me right now. With my Yamaha RC 16x20 bass drum, I have been after the lowwww and punchy sound for a while now. Tried all kinds of head combos including the stock Pinstripe, EMAD, GMAD, PS3, SK1, Force I, etc.... they all sounded about the same, not alot of low end punch. Yesterday I bought and installed an EMAD II, and am finding it much closer to my 22" bass drums now. The low and powerful bass note is now there, even at low volume. Using a ported PS3 reso BTW. Great pedal feel too.

18. Eabmoto

Eabmoto Member

I’d have to buy a new pedal or/and notch the hoop to use a riser. I don’t want to do either. Haven’t had time to experiment with a port yet. A new batter head will definitely help also.

19. CherryClassic

OH NO. NO, NO; no need to notch a hoop, you don't want to do that.

I'm using the Dixon Riser; the hoop just hooks over the the riser pad; actually the drum just set on top of the riser area/rubber pad and the hoop keeps it from sliding forward. There is a fake hoop/plastic lip that stick back far enough for the pedal to clamp to.

sherm

20. Eabmoto

Eabmoto Member

The clamping mechanisms of my pedal will not fit underneath the hoop. It’s forced to sit out in front of the hoop.