20s-30s Leedy Student Snare

Discussion in 'Resto and Rehab tips' started by bpffitz, Nov 23, 2018.

1. bpffitz

bpffitz New Member

Hoping for some help to get this 20s-ish student drum back in order. I’m totally comfortable with pulling it apart and doing what needs to be done. Apologies if this isn’t the place for this sort of thing.
    How would you handle the snares, calfskin, and pitted/rusted hardware. I’m not desperate to play on it, but on the other hand... that’s what it’s for! IMG_0045.jpg IMG_0047.jpg IMG_0048.jpg IMG_0049.jpg IMG_0050.jpg IMG_0051.jpg

2. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

That looks awesome! Are you going to refinish the wood? Clear coat it? Strip and restain & refinish? Looks like fun. Obviously, your badge (a sticker?) will be toasted if you fully strip it - BTW, I use Citrustrip.

As for wires, not much you can do except try to clean them. Try Brasso. As for nickel parts, Brasso didn't work for me. For rusted parts, soak in white vinegar overnight then use a metal toothbrush. Should work. Others have tried (as have I) a Dawn soap bath in hot water for the metal parts only.

What kind of hoops are they? Condition? I am interested in your choices.....

3. bpffitz

bpffitz New Member

I'm not doing any refinishing on it. I really developed a pretty nice sort of scaffolded system for cleaning all metals though. I first soaked in dishsoap, then used 0000 fine steel wool, then brasso to clean and polish. It's turning out really nice so far. I've just cleaned the shell and hoops with some orange oil and that's done a lot of good for it. I can't worry too much about the snares without devising some crazy chemical bath, so I did my best to remove anything loose and went on my way. I'll be getting some plastic heads on it and tuning it up slowly soon, and really looking forward to it. Hopefully, it plays in some way at all.

4. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Excellent....look forward to "after" pics!