Alice de Buhr's Camcos plus amazing 1971 Fanny performance footage

Discussion in 'General' started by Radio King, Feb 19, 2019.

1. ThomFloor

ThomFloor Well-Known Member

In the interview, pasted below, he names all his stuff. Yes the 20 ride goes un-named. To me it appears an old A on that Johnny Cash vid but who knows.
    You are trying to tell ride cymbal weights from recordings?

"SF: Has your cymbal set-up varied from the ’60s to today?
    JG: It’s pretty much the same. I use a 22″ Zildjian ride now which is kind of a medium. I use Paiste hi-hats that are 14″. I like 15″ crashes a lot and I’ve got two really nice 18″ Zildjian crash cymbals that are pretty well matched that I use onstage. I’ve got some 16s, 17s, a couple of 18s. I’ve got a real nice Chinese cymbal—a Paiste—which is great for roaring. It sounds like the ocean. And I’ve got a real nice 20″ ride which just cracked on me. I’m heartbroken about it. I’ve got a few half-cymbals that I still try and use, too!
    "

2. Trey Gray

Trey Gray Pro

thanks, as always, for the info...way cool stuff

3. red66charger

red66charger DFO Veteran

Good gawd man! THANK YOU for sharing this video. I was 7 years old when this Fanny recording was made and am embarrassed to say I've never heard of them. These are some very talented musicians playing their heart out! All across the board they each stand out. Alice's drumming on the last song is killer.

Thanks again. This made my day.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. Radio King

Radio King DFO Veteran

Weren't they great?! That last song, "Special Care", was a Stephen Stills penned Buffalo Springfield cover, but they totally owned it. Very powerful stuff.

Beefsurgeon and red66charger like this.
  5. studrum

studrum DFO Veteran

Same show Fanny played on, perhaps?

6. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

Delaney & Bonnie was on Beat Club in 1969; Fanny was on in 1971.

7. squidart

squidart Very well Known Member

8. Nacci

Nacci DFO Veteran

That is some pretty serious British iconography behind the band especially when 3/4 of them were American and they are appearing on a US television program. I doubt Derek and the Dominos traveled with all of that. Did the set crew at the Johnny Cash show make it all? Very odd.

9. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

The Dominos didn't travel with those flags. Not sure who made them.

10. Alice de Buhr

Alice de Buhr New Member

My drums in this video from The Beat Club are the ones I still own. Jim Gordon had nothing to do with my kit. I was a fan of Camco early on, and this is the second set I owned. The blue sparkle cover on the one floor tom is because my Camco floor tom got left behind by our roadies, a mistake they rarely made. The kit is all mine....cymbals included. The Beat Club was so far ahead of the world in setting up the shoot as if we were in a recording studio. This is probably the closest to our "live" sound ever captured, although a French show in Paris has black & white footage of us that was pretty close to the live vibe as well.

11. Radio King

Radio King DFO Veteran

Thank you for setting the record straight, Alice.

Your sound on that video was explosive, in your face. That's what good R&R is supposed to be. It's a shame that producer Richard Perry tried to lighten up your sound in the studio. Your power certainly shines through on the Beat Club footage. Great drumming; great musicianship all around. And I'm really enjoying all the Youtube comments about you. FINALLY, people are taking notice of just how good a band Fanny was.

clinker555 likes this.
  12. marko52

marko52 Piper At the Gates of Dawn

I think the 'Layla' album is fantastically recorded; you can really hear each member of the band. And Gordon's got 2 really great crash cymbals--one is bright & brash and the other is sweet & soft. Can't tell you how many times I've listened to that record; came out my sophomore year in college, & blew my mind.............marko

13. marko52

marko52 Piper At the Gates of Dawn

Hey Alice, welcome to the Forum...........marko

Beefsurgeon, RIDDIM and red66charger like this.
  14. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Very well Known Member

Welcome Alice! Very cool to have you here and providing the details.

15. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

Very cool that you stopped by to set the record straight, Alice! And that was a gorgeous Camco kit - walnut stain, I presume. Studying Gordon got me into the Camco sound. I think the reason the original poster thought it might have been Jim's kit was the way you had them tuned - low, like Jim would. I love that sound from Oaklawn Camcos. Is yours a late 60s kit?
    That Beat Club video of Fanny was great; I've been watching it over and over the past couple of days. You're all cooking in that one!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  16. mattmalloy66

mattmalloy66 Very well Known Member

So how have I never been exposed to Fanny before now?? Really good.
    The interest in Camco drums led me here. The interest in Fanny (the band) is going to keep me up for awhile tonight.
    Thanks for chiming in Alice.

17. RIDDIM

RIDDIM DFO Master

- A bunch of Fanny clips crossed my YT feed recently. You kicked butt. That was a great band.

18. red66charger

red66charger DFO Veteran

Alice! Thank you for sharing the information about your drums! This is Dan...the loon who reached out to you yesterday. I told you...there are a lot of drum nerds that love hearing all the details. Glad you found this thread! Do you know what the badges on your drums read? Oaklawn, Chanute or Los Angeles? Since this was recorded in 1971 it would have to be Oaklawn, I assume. Too bad about the other floor tom...I bet you were bummed. I thought I had seen photos of your kit with two matching Camco floor toms. Now we know!

Glad I'm not the only one to recently be enlightened to Fanny and Alice de Buhr. It's a challenge to give you praise with out sounding like a "patronizing dude". Simply put...you rock! The passion in your playing shines through as does your creativity. AND THE BAND WAS TIGHT! Also know, we do have a few female members here. I hope they find this thread. Best to you Alice!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Saladdaze likes this.
  19. Frank Godiva

Frank Godiva Well-Known Member

This fine player needs her own thread

20. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

Yes she does. Just saw the interview she made for the "Women of Rock" series...it was great.

squidart likes this.