Another Side of The Story.... Pete Best.

Discussion in 'General' started by GeneZ, Feb 16, 2019.

1. GeneZ

GeneZ DFO Master

Some things said on this video I never knew before.

MasterBlaster likes this.
  2. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

History being rewritten before our eyes, methinks. We've heard it all before.

Pounder likes this.
  3. gezz

gezz DFO Master

Sad for him tho.. No matter what

Gerry

shiek_yerbouti likes this.
  4. RIDDIM

RIDDIM DFO Master

At one time I was of the opinion that he may have been unfairly removed.

Then I heard the Decca audition recordings: .

5. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

I don't think that's Pete Best. Sounds like Bernard Purdie, I'm pretty sure.

6. noreastbob

noreastbob Very well Known Member

Frankly I don't see Best as the problem with that recording/performance. It sounds like one mike, can't hear the drums, and the group as a whole was unpolished and still in its primitive stages.
    That said, Ringo added a signature style and maybe more pleasant personality.

Tornado and Mongrel like this.
  7. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

I love this stuff! So, I am reminded that the Beatles had heard Ringo play in Germany with the Hurricanes. At that time any drummer playing anything basic was thought to be good. I think the studio experience caused a light bulb to go off. Pete was just OK, but Ringo was good. Ace

Pounder likes this.
  8. Mongrel

Mongrel Very well Known Member

Now that I know I am not alone.....lol.

Honestly, I was thinking the drums were the last thing that concerned me with that recording. Lol....

9. Pounder

Pounder DFO Master

Not much new there, but it is a part of the history of the Beatles. But.. Ringo certainly carried a more modern Rock sound from the beginning.

10. shiek_yerbouti

shiek_yerbouti Very well Known Member

What a devastating blow that must have been. And then to see the rise to success from the sidelines. Torture.

11. noreastbob

noreastbob Very well Known Member

Yeah. It would be like if you played the same lottery numbers for decades, then you skip a drawing and your numbers come up.

GeneZ, Tornado and shiek_yerbouti like this.
  12. Tornado

Tornado Very well Known Member

Agreed. I don't think he was "bad", per se. His time sounded pretty solid from a cursory listen, skipping forward to hear different parts. But stylistically, Ringo was the better fit. Now, could the producers have asked Pete to play differently? Who knows if he would have, couid have, or any combination of the two in the time they had to do it. I can see Pete's tom heavy stuff not translating well to the recordings, while Ringo's driving hi hats were the perfect thing.

13. old_K_ride

old_K_ride DFO Master

wow...Pete sang "Matchbox"?!

14. Olderschool

Olderschool DFO Veteran

The only problem I have with it (like it really matters) is it shows their true character traits. I mean...no matter if it was Pete's lack of ability of that the others were jealous of his looks....they owed him a face to face talk and by making Brian do it proves that they lack basic human decency.

15. GeneZ

GeneZ DFO Master

I was in a good band in high school. We started out with members that all knew each other. Then one of the original members began to show he was not fit emotionally for our public presentation. Our manager noticed and said he needs to go as well. We all knew that he was decent, but his emotional ineptitude was turning into an embarrassment for all of us. We located a good guitarists to replace him. A really great guy.

We then held a group meeting at rehearsal and confronted him. I could see that the others were sensitive and really did not want to do what was needed to be done. They began throwing hints gently. Then, for reasons I did not question, I found myself confronting him before all of them in a manner to make him stop trying to give excuses. He then got the message, packed up his stuff.. and left.

The band members seemed relieved an happy that it was over. For me, it actually make me feel ill. It was like attending a funeral of a good friend. The Beatles most likely were too hurt to confront him. IMHO... I believe it could have gone down that way. For they were quite decent guys when it came to the feelings of other people. It really was painful to do.

tommykat1 likes this.
  16. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

Yes. Breaking up is hard to do. In the band I lead, I've been the guy who has "fired" four people. The other members and I discussed it, but I was the hatchet man. Thus, the person who was let go makes sure that I'm the recipient of all the vitriol. Threats, anger, and--god forbid--being unfriended on Facebook!

17. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

BTW, one of the stories not mentioned in the video is that that the other members were tired of Pete Best not showing up on time, being unprofessional and even dropping out of gigs. PB didn't appear to have the vision the others had. It's why they had a need for Ringo to fill in at gigs where PB wasn't available. Ringo showed the interest and talent, and the rest is history.

MasterBlaster likes this.
  18. GeneZ

GeneZ DFO Master

Good to know. See. Just learned something new by starting this well worn theme, thread. :study:

tommykat1 likes this.
  19. hardbat

hardbat Very well Known Member

Two things:

I actually like how Pete plays on "Besame Mucho". It's not great but it works.

They were just kids. When I was in high school, I got replaced in a band by one of my friends and none of them told me. It made me feel terrible when I found out, and I was resentful of the guy who replaced me. Years later we put that behind us and we're friends again. Looking back, we were just kids and none of us had the maturity to handle such situations correctly. However, in the Beatles case, as they matured they should have mustered the cajones to apologize. Maybe they inhabit another universe now and don't feel the need to care. Or maybe there is more to the story.

20. bkny110

bkny110 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Pete should have been given the chance to correct any issues such as blowing off gigs, being on time etc... Maybe he was, but of course that wouldn't have helped any lack of playing skills that may have existed. Seems to me that maybe the "boys" didn't want to correct his problems and were happy to see him go, even though they didn't have the heart to do it. Like someone mentioned, there's likely more to the story.