Any Rogers big R lovers out there?

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by dexter74, Jan 3, 2019.

1. bob

bob DFO Master

that looks way better .....

2. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Remember the Bob Seger song used for Chevy truck commercials? "Like a Rock!!"

3. SaranacJack

SaranacJack Member

Project “get the kids hooked on Rogers” has begun. My 16” XP8 floor tom, 8/10/12 Big R concert toms and a tiny DW popcorn snare. Hopefully they catch the Rogers bug!

Attached Files:

Trilock_Gurtu likes this.
  4. Polska

Polska DFO Veteran

I have a sentimental spot for the Big R kits. My first good drum teacher had a set in white and I always kinda wanted the same.

Rythymboy and Trilock_Gurtu like this.
  5. utdrummer

utdrummer DFO Veteran

I have one too! IMG_1168.JPG

6. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

When your drums look like that.............people are already impressed with your playing. I guess ut doesn't stand for .........used tobacco?

7. utdrummer

utdrummer DFO Veteran

not a bad response but needs work.

8. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

As a manufacturer's rep for the last five years of American-made Rogers drums, a couple of nagging problems were all too prevalent. Dealers who ordered the non wrapped drums sent a lot of the drum sets back because the colors of the shells within a drum set did not match. The worst offender was the sunburst finish. Fender's painters for sunburst guitars were the most experienced painters in the company. These were the people who painted the sunburst drum shells. At that time, even sunburst guitars with consecutive serial numbers that were painted by the same painter, had some differences in the sunburst finishes. The problem was made worse because, once the paint on a drum was cured, the drum was sealed in a carton that was marked with the model, size, and color. if a consumer ordered a drum set through a dealer, the individual drum boxes for the set were pulled from the warehouse shelves, and shipped to the dealer's store. The drums were not taken out of the boxes before shipping, and compared for how well they matched each other. I saw some horribly mismatched drum sets in sunburst and Mojave Red in stores that I insisted the dealers send back. Another issue was with the "mist" colors. Our German dealers had a problem with that word because in the German language it means dung or rubbish.

9. APelletier

APelletier DFO Veteran

IDK... I could never get over how much those big fat tube spurs on the bass drums turned me off. That's just me though... R. Crumb obsessed over big legs... to each their own.

10. Trilock_Gurtu

Trilock_Gurtu Well-Known Member

I was waiting for you to post ;)

Gunnellett likes this.
  11. Trilock_Gurtu

Trilock_Gurtu Well-Known Member

Ludwig BD legs? Did they come like that, or did you add them? My 70's Slingerland COW came with them, SOLID legs.

12. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

I had so many issues with my tobacco sunburst Londoner 7 not meeting expectations that I visited the Monrovia factory in 1980 and was allowed to pick out my shells in the paint shop where they were hanging to dry. At the time, I didn't think it was such a big deal. The manager I worked with was Gil Madrid (I still have his card somewhere.) As I recall, he resisted at first, but I told him my favorite drum shop in Seattle had a perfect Gretsch kit in sunburst, and if I couldn't get a perfect Rogers one, I'd buy the Gretsch. He left to talk it over with one of the higher-ups, and came back with the good news that I could pick out my shells.

Trilock_Gurtu and Blkonyx like this.
  13. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

The xp8 shells are some of the finest.

Same here on the legs/spurs bass mounts, Lv Rogers as much as anybody but that stuff just looked like it came out a plumbing supply house.
    Sorry Greg Krampf

Ps. The new Rogers co. should remake the xp8 shells and dress them up with Swivo hardware.
    Call them the Swivo 8’s.
    Your welcome

14. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Naaa.....just put RIMS mounts on the Memriloc hardware. Ace

15. utdrummer

utdrummer DFO Veteran

IMG_1968.JPG IMG_1967.JPG Funny you should mention that Ace...the Rogers purists here and on FB are gonna excommunicate me from the church of Rogers but the Pearl optimounts have really opened up my 8x12 and 9x13...P.S. I also use two Pearl bass drum pedals...!

16. SwivoNut

SwivoNut DFO Master

Relax, you're not excommunicated... just say three Our Fathers and three Hail Marys.

Trilock_Gurtu likes this.
  17. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

I cut the tubes on my Memriloc tom holders, and put champagne corks in them. That helped to alleviate the chokiness, but I think RIMS mounts would be the ticket.

Also, remember back in the day, the damped sound was "in." Today, most of us like our drums wide open.

18. funkypoodle

funkypoodle DFO Veteran

I've been going a bit batty with my Big R toms & will eventually do this. My other Rogers kit kit has the 12" on a basket stand & 2 floors & the toms sing like the Red Army Choir.

19. utdrummer

utdrummer DFO Veteran

i actually like the looks of the Rogers hardware but always felt they restricted the tone of the toms. The mount attached to the shell itself is huge and by itself robbed the tone. Then you add the pipe going into the tom and you have serious concerns.This was not a factor in the late 70's but we understand so much more now about resonance. The Optimounts have alleviated that and they really do sound better. JMHO

20. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

I just put some tape over the shell holes. What did you do? Ace