Any Rogers big R lovers out there?

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by dexter74, Jan 3, 2019.

1. utdrummer

utdrummer DFO Veteran

Says the guy that has never heard me play.

2. utdrummer

utdrummer DFO Veteran

Nothing! They're my new vents!

3. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Weren't you in band at UT? BMOC playing Big R with Big Vents?

4. Gunnellett

Gunnellett Well-Known Member

I have my tom on a snare stand. Wondered if I would need to tape or plug the whole at the mount. Started playing and it sounded great so I didn't even mess with seeing the difference with it plugged vs. not and hadn't really thought about it since.

Trilock_Gurtu likes this.
  5. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

XP8 toms with RIMS I have the official RIMS mounts with Big R adaptors from Gary Gauger.
    fullsizeoutput_d5b.jpeg

Rythymboy and EvEnStEvEn like this.
  6. amosguy

amosguy DFO Master

Got to admire the work that Gary does for his customers. 2 pairs of XP8 sets (10+ 12 & 12+13)

IMG_20190202_152652498.jpg

tommykat1 and EvEnStEvEn like this.
  7. utdrummer

utdrummer DFO Veteran

Sweet! Didn't even think about asking Gauger for any advice. I do however, like the optimounts style of suspension. To each his own. Good to see others feel the same way about the heavy Rogers hardware.

8. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

Your Gauger mods look good, guys!
    I suppose I could eek a bit more tonal body out of my 12/13 mounted toms by ordering RIMS but after some pondering and tube reduction I'm satisfied with my stock setup. Judicious fine-tuning was the key and they sing out nicely now with brand new 1-ply Texture Coated batters tuned medium high with Remo Ebony Amb resonants. I usually like to rotate drumsets throughout the course of my gigging schedule but these play & feel so good I haven't gigged my other sets since November.

ROGERS 025.jpg

REFondrums 016.jpg

Trilock_Gurtu and tommykat1 like this.
  9. utdrummer

utdrummer DFO Veteran

i hear ya...good looking kit too.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  10. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Steven, adding what you did in the recent thread showing the different sounds of heads, has me thinking about different heads in addition to the RIMS mounts. I like that fiber skin sound a lot. I haven't been real happy with coated or uncoated Ambassadors. UT, I think any rims type mount is great for the Big R hardware. I personally believe that Rogers was just thinking about strength with Memriloc, along with locked in set up positions. If you are playing real hard, tone was not the concern from the marketing end. Ace

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  11. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

That looks pretty darn cool. Can you get them in chrome?

12. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

"Judicious fine tuning" indeed. I find that I have to tune the drums around the 13" tom. That one seems to have a very tight range. When I get it to sing, I bring the other toms around it. Cutting and corking the tubes helped.

Glad to see you're a Rogers convert, EvEn!

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  13. amosguy

amosguy DFO Master

Not available in chrome.
    From the Gauger Percussion website http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/rimsreg-alloy-pro-series.html

"Aluminum Alloy
    When early R.I.M.S.® mounts were first made out of steel, they worked for many drummers. But we would still hear from those who were confused about why certain drums still sounded choked. After doing research, we discovered some amazing things about the properties of the material. When steel is chrome plated, it hardens the material and takes on a tonal pitch. So when it is placed on a drum that is tuned within a certain range, those two pitches react to one another and will cancel each other out, resulting in a drum's tone being choked. Since aluminum works as a better isolator, and we no longer chrome plate the material, there is nothing to work against the drums resonating tones. The added bonus is that aluminum is one third of the weight of steel, so our mounts are the lightest way to achieve the most effective result."

14. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

I think if I got RIMS mounts, I'd grind that brushed aluminum down and polish with jeweler's rouge to get them to look like chrome.

Rythymboy likes this.
  15. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Just a reminder. Gary made a mounting plate just for Big R Drums. Ace

amosguy likes this.
  16. pet fever detector

pet fever detector Well-Known Member

I love my 5 ply Big Rs. A friend recently sat behind them. He said he felt like he was driving a Cadillac.

Attached Files:

17. jim683

jim683 Member

my first real kit, 2nd overall, was an XP8 kit in silver metallic ( I think that was what they called the wrap), power toms, and a kick drum that would pound your chest. Loved that kit, it looked great under lights. I sold it after trying desperately to find another kick drum (wanted to go double base for the look). This was the biggest mistake I've made with drums. I've been watching ebay, etc to see if I can find one like it and so far no luck.

18. dexter74

dexter74 Well-Known Member

I remember thinking as a teen in the mid/late-80s how ugly the Big R badge was, and how lame I thought the finishes were. I was always a vintage nerd, but growing up near Milwaukee there was vintage Ludwigs and slingerlands everywhere, and I didn't even really see many Rogers.

Fast-forward 30 yrs.... I started buying/selling/collecting regularly and came across a few Big R sets. Still didn't take them seriously, but I immediately noticed how easily they tuned up even with beat up old heads and how good they sounded just banging on them in my tiny workshop. I then got a set of metallic gold 5 ply for a few hundred bucks that I thought looked super cool, so I put some good heads on them and used them on gigs one weekend. BAM. That was it. I was floored by how good they sounded.

I had mainly been playing various Slingerland and 3 ply Ludwig kits. Have even had some Holiday, Powertone and 9/72 kits. They all sounded great in their own way, but once I laid into the Big Rs, I knew I was onto something. I then came across another 5 ply Londoner set in ebony. I cleaned it up, used it on some gigs.... Yup. Same deal. Sounded fabulous. With just a lil more "something" than all the other kits I've been playing the past few yrs.

I'm now on the lookout for a set in Mojave red or butcher block. Part of me is sad that these great drums get minimal love or respect - but then I remember that if people knew how good they sounded, we couldn't get them for the ridiculously low prices we currently can ; )

19. Santino

Santino Well-Known Member

I was coming here to start a post asking why the Big R kits are the Rodney Dangerfield of Rogers, and I see this thread. Thanks Guys!
    I just came across a Big R sizes 10,12,13,14,16,22 in a flat silvery wrap with a pretty cheap looking Rogers chromed snare (5 widely spaced grooved bands, not tightly spaced like on the Dynasonic). Drums look to be in great shape, except the snare, and the price is $500. I thought to myself, if these were a few years older, this cat would be asking $2.5-3K.

I never caught the Rogers bug but for $500, I was thinking of grabbing this beast.

***EDIT: Just learned this is could be a Rogers 360 snare.

20. DanC

DanC "Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"

Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
    That snare is a warning sign: those drums might be Taiwan-made mid-late 80's drums, not the real thing. Made after Island Music took over Rogers from CBS.

tommykat1 and Santino like this.