Any Rogers Experts

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by kenshireen1, Feb 28, 2019.

1. kenshireen1

kenshireen1 Well-Known Member

I have all their different models from the 60's
    Spotlight, Tower, PowerTone, Luxur, Holiday.

Question: are the shells all the same or is there any difference between them

2. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

‘63 and on same 5 ply Keller maple / birch/ maple / birch/ maple or was it beech?
    You’ll see a 3 ply jasper on the early 60’s bnb lug models

markrocks68 likes this.
  3. levelpebble

levelpebble Well-Known Member

JP is correct - year for year, all "models" used exactly the same shell construction and bearing edges. IE, late 50s spotlights and holidays had the same three ply with 30 degree edges and roundovers. Early 60s Mayfairs and holidays had the same nearly flat edges and jasper 3 ply shells. Mid sixties holidays, towers, luxor and powertones all had 5 ply kellers with sharper 45s. There are of course transition peculiarities from era to era.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    markrocks68 likes this.
  4. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

Note that through the late 1950s to about 1963, Rogers used 3 ply Jasper shells, maple/gumwood/maple, with round-ish (30 degree?) bearing edges. Next, for the years approx 1963- 1966, maybe early 1967, Rogers used 3 ply Keller shells, maple/birch/maple with 45 degree bearing edges. In 1967 or so, with the switch from Cleveland to Dayton, they went to 5 ply maple/birch/maple/birch/maple, also 45 degree bearing edges.

5. JDA

JDA DFO Master

And every one of them had Rings at all times , Right? (no mention of ring-age yet..)

6. amosguy

amosguy DFO Master

Rerings until the XP8 series in 1979. There are some clear interior 5 play/rering shells around as well - that are not XP8 shells.

7. JDZ

JDZ Asst. Manager, rhythm section

Since we are talking edges and shell construction, I thought I add this. I've had this WMP Tower snare for close to 25 yrs and it spent it's life on a shelf waiting for the matching kit. Well, I just found that kit and decided to detail the snare yesterday. It appeared to be your average Rogers Cleveland snare with regular hoops, beavertail lugs and tower throw. When I took it apart, I happily found the drum is a 4 digit serial P1020744.JPG P1020745.JPG numbered drum and 3 ply construction. Exciting......for me anyway.

tommykat1 and jptrickster like this.
  8. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

Yep. Cleveland 3 ply sings beautifully. Those washers will peel off that shell with the tap of a rubber mallet. Or carefully pry with a screwdriver.

9. JDZ

Yup, I completed buffing out the shell yesterday, will polish the chrome today and reassemble. The washers that were stuck on were just left there while buffing. I put masking tape over the holes and remaining washers. I've detailed hundred of Rogers drum but boy, these were really stuck with the paint underneath.

Dave

10. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Powertone snare shells have very shallow snare beds. Much shallower than a Tower snare, for instance. Ace

11. Powertone

Powertone DFO Veteran

Whoa JDZ! What a pleasant surprise to discover you have a 3 ply early bvtl Tower.

All the early beavertail drums used 3 ply shells for a time, but I am not sure when they switched over to 5. I suspect that the switch to 5 ply occurred fairly early in the Clev era. I am also not sure if those bvtl 3 ply drums were Keller or Jasper, but I do know that they play especially nice (as TommyKat said), and are the best playing Powertones, Towers, and Luxors.

I can say re Beavertail Powertones, that all the early “transitional” versions were 3 ply shells. By that I mean PTs that have the vent mounted in the center panel across from the script badge, and the paper tag placed over the badge nails. Those drums also had the round clockface strainers, and it was not uncommon to find some with tall hoops. Those were a fairly short run and early to mid Clev, they moved the vent one panel closer to the strainer and started using the swivo strainer we all know. I think that is when they switched to 5 ply, but haven’t been able to pin point a serial number range where that happened.

I have also noticed that all the 6.5 x 14 wood drums, regardless of model, and early, mid or late Cleveland era, used 3 ply shells. I suspect that may be due to Rogers having those 3 ply shells on hand, and because they rarely made a 6.5” deep snare, it took them quite a while to use them up. I can’t speak to whether that continued into the Dayton era, but wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  12. JDZ

Those facts are what confused me at 1st. No clockface, no tall hoops and of course, the beavertail lugs. My mistake was I originally thought the serial # had the drum at 1960 but now know it is a 64.

JDZ

13. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

Note, JDZ, that the Tower won't have the clockface throwoff. Those were on the Powertones and Dynas.

14. JDZ

True. I didn't think of that.

15. marko52

marko52 Piper At the Gates of Dawn

Looking forward to some pics of the kit!.........marko