B&W BADGE LUDWIG ROCKERS (1980s)

Discussion in 'General' started by Spongebob, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Spongebob

Spongebob DFO Master

Are these decent drums for, let's say a studio kit or gig kit? Or maybe even a starter set? 6ply shells with Ludwig "classic" lugs all around.

2. tillerva

tillerva Forum Guru...yeh right :p

Heck yeh, but are you sure they aren't four ply? I had a set, which had Standard lugs, four ply I think, maple interior.

3. Pimp-a-diddle

Pimp-a-diddle Very well Known Member

Pics? I'd retrofit with better mounting hardware/RIMS if they have the old "goalpost" mounts. There was a period where they were using Pearl/Maxwin-style mounts as well. As crappy as those are, they're still better than the goalpost. As to sound, they are perfectly fine for gigs as long as you're using double-ply heads. They wouldn't be my first choice for studio, but with good heads and tuning you can get a working drum sound out of them.

4. AaronLatos

AaronLatos spang spang a lang

Most, if not all, of the B/W badge sets are 4-ply maple/poplar/poplar/maple, the same shells as the short-lived top-line early 90s drums marketed as "Super Classics" (whereas the "Classics" had an all-maple, thicker shell).

I've got a set, and they ARE a first choice for just about anything when the sizes are right. Have recorded with them, played tons of gigs. Imagine a maple/pop/maple Ludwig 3ply except a little more open, a little longer note, a little more air.

If you find a set in traditional sizes instead of powertoms, run, don't walk.

kallen49 and robthetimekeeper like this.
  5. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

There was a run of rockers identical to the classic series, some had curved fours and some had straight spurs

6. Spongebob

Spongebob DFO Master

PIX

Attached Files:

7. Pimp-a-diddle

Yep, there it is; the old "goalpost of doom". Man I hated that thing. I didn't have any problem with the post or the arms, but the suspension for the toms stripped out REAL quick. Also, I think mine were Rocker II's maybe. Mine had nice, good quality spurs on the kick, not the smaller "pop-outs" as seen in the picture. If you can live with the spurs and are willing to invest in some RIMS and a new post/mounting system, they are a good set of drums for the $$$. How much are they asking?

8. Spongebob

Spongebob DFO Master

thanks for input

asking under $400

9. Pimp-a-diddle

This site has all of the Gibraltar and Ludwig mounting gear:

https://drumsonsale.com

Also, Ebay probably has a ton of RIMS mounts and variations thereof for sale on the cheap as well. By the time it's all said and done, you'd probably be looking at an additional $150-200 to upgrade the hardware to something sturdy and reliable. Those are wrapped shells so if you wanted to add a new set of spurs, any of the old drilling could be covered up by the new wrap, that includes the toms as well.
    Those shells look like good ones. The ones I had were painted on the inside and I didn't much care for that. Still, I've heard Rockers sound really good with nice heads and proper tuning. The lugs aren't fancy but they work really well and hold their tunings too.

10. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

Buy them if you like them

11. Spongebob

Spongebob DFO Master

My intentions for this set was to just clean them up of surface schmootz. Then raffle them off at the Connecticut Drum Show with all monies raised to be donated to child cancer research.

What would be “ a good deal”?

12. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

250-300

13. AaronLatos

AaronLatos spang spang a lang

That's the good version. A small number have classic lugs like that (instead of 'Standard' rounded lugs). That kit was Ludwig using up parts to send something out the door at a lower price.

Only difference between those and a top line kit of the same era: small instead of large classics on the 13 and 16 toms, badge color, spurs.

If I make it to the CT show, I'll throw in for that raffle out of both charity and self interest. :)

14. andlours

andlours Well-Known Member

Those look like Ludwig S/L drums, not rockers. They came before the rockets, if I remember correctly.

15. kallen49

kallen49 Well-Known Member

I have this kit, (Rockers, black wrap, B/W badge); but the shells had been stripped, paid $50 for 12,13,16,22 x 14” shells.
    That’s how I discovered that buying Ludwig tom & bass lugs plus rods, floor Tom lugs, can be expensive.
    (And that removing the wrap is difficult, I trashed the 13” trying that)
    I “frankensteined” the shells using Ludwig/Stewart/ Premier hardware parts, some I had, some bought on forums.
    My family also owns a 1966 Ludwig blue oyster pearl 12/16/20 kit, white interiors: I put coated emps on top, clear ambassadors on bottoms and these two kits sound pretty much the same. Great!
    So you can get a vintage Ludwig tone for a fraction of what you might pay otherwise ;)

16. dharma bum

dharma bum Very well Known Member

I have two Rocker kits (both Rocker II I believe), one with standard lugs and one with mini-classics. Both with granitone interiors and straight bass drum spurs. Both were super-cheap.

I stripped and rewrapped both of them, have used both for lots of gigs, have never had trouble with the post mounts, spurs, or any of the hardware. Both of them had taped black wrap, which was easy to remove. I'm about to try another wrap experiment on the red sparkle kit.

These care just great basic vintage-y LUDWIG kits.
    IMG_2467.JPG Red Drums 1.JPG

17. Tommy D

Tommy D Very well Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't look like maple on the insides of those shells. It looks like cheap poplar.

mgdrummer and Tornado like this.
  18. Marc M

Marc M DFO Veteran

The. last version of he. Standards and the S/L kits were 4 ply tos 6ply bass.Mini Classic lugs on Tom's.82. catlalogue sows b/o bages. on standards ,S/L b/w. badge.I had an S/L kit,the interiors were painted beige/ yellowish like yours look to be.

19. Tommy D

Tommy D Very well Known Member

Why would Ludwig paint the inside of the shell if it was maple?

20. Tornado

Tornado Very well Known Member