Bad ebay seller

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by blikum, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:22 PM.

1. blikum

blikum Well-Known Member

I purchased what was advertised as a ludwig snare drum on ebay. It has a red white and blue wrap. The pics weren't very good and neither was the description, so I guess I'm to blame for buying it. I get the drum and first thing I notice is that is has 2 snare side hoops. The "wrap" is more like a textured wrapping paper. The blue olive badge is "installed" very haphazardly. And get this, I start do disassemble it and find out that it's a steel shelled drum. I haven't contacted the seller yet, I'm not even sure what to say to him. The sellers ebay name is zachgabe. I'll keep the drum, I put a new head on and tuned it up and it doesn't sound half bad, I just wish all these issues were disclosed in the description. I'll chalk this one up to live and learn. Here's one of the ebay pics...

s-l1600.jpg

2. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

Why not use your right as a buyer to open a return case and get a refund?

squidart likes this.
  3. blikum

blikum Well-Known Member

Honestly, it's a bit of a hassle for me. I don't have a lot of time to deal with shipping it back. Just wanted to share the bad ebay seller info. And FYI, he does have another bogus Ludwig drum listed for sale right now.

4. squidart

squidart Well-Known Member

As a service to unwitting potential buyers I would do as Steven suggested. And give negative feedback with the deception clearly stated.

5. Rich K.

Rich K. DFO Master

How much time does it take to put it in a box and send it back?

6. blikum

blikum Well-Known Member

I will absolutely leave negative feedback.

7. ThomFloor

ThomFloor Well-Known Member

What a scam...how do people sleep at night?

8. Rockin' Billy

Rockin' Billy Very well Known Member

I’ll put a vote in for get your money back through eBay. I would try to make the time in your schedule to do so if any chance to. I don’t believe it’s a case of live and learn, I believe it was deception. Not fair.

GeeDeeEmm likes this.
  9. blikum

blikum Well-Known Member

I hear you guys loud and clear. I will probably see about getting a refund. I have tried to contact ebay to report him. Why does ebay make it so difficult to contact them?

10. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Hate to be a jerk here but the listing clearly says "Steel" shell.......see the photo and circled area. The photos show a wrong butt plate, a funky throw (at least the bottom of it) and all signs point to import. It's questionable but I am pretty sure that is not an original B/O pointed badge drum (the badge is B/O pointed)

What did you think you were buying??? I don't know if this was misrepresented....
    Ludwig snare.jpg Ludwig snare2.jpg

If it was, and I've had this issue, I send one email setting forth the issues and sometimes photos. The last three times I've had issues (one a Rogers tom that was simply wrongly listed, one a Gretsch tom with undisclosed issues; and one a Rogers snare with damage seller "wasn't aware of" and maybe caused during shipping), I got the Rogers tom returned with a full refund and the seller agreed to pay shipping back, the Gretsch tom the guy gave me a very significant refund so that was acceptable, and the third one, the guy gave me a decent enough refund to justify keeping an repairing it. In the 2nd and 3rd cases, there were "no returns" per the auction listing.

My tip is once you get an item that is bad/wrong/damaged/whatever, just keep the box and stuff in the event you need to return it. I have had good luck with eBay on other returns even when not allowed by the seller. But you have to document it well, take photos if needed and yes, it takes a little time/effort, but it works.

As an aside, if it's a steel shell (with no center bead), is that even a B/O badge drum? Either a Standard snare or possibly/likely an import white/black badge - which would for sure warrant a return as a misrepresented item!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 1:06 AM
  11. Beefsurgeon

Beefsurgeon Well-Known Member

Copy/pasted the ebay description below. Aside from the two snare-side hoops(WTF?) it seems like he was technically honest about the components. Not so sure that you can sell an item as "new" when you've performed end-user modifications like this though.

Item specifics

Condition:New other (see details): A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, ... Read more
    Size: 14 inch
    Modified Item: Yes
    Model: Ludwig
    Country/Region of Manufacture: United States
    Material: Steel
    Brand: Ludwig
    Modification Description: Custom Wrap and vintage Blue/Olive badge
    UPC: Does not apply

This is a new Ludwig snare drum that has a custom wrap, classic badge, and classic muffler added.

12. blikum

blikum Well-Known Member

It's definitely not a B/O badge drum. Seems to be an overseas drum of some sort.

13. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I updated my prior entry and it appears Dr. Beef also caught the steel disclosed in the original listing.

14. blikum

blikum Well-Known Member

Nice catch. Could be a technicality. Honestly, I saw the wrap, never crossed my mind that it might of been a steel shell. I should have asked questions, but I didn't. We'll see how ebay responds.

15. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Well, I had that happen when someone listed the shell on a pre-serial KB snare as "brass" and it turned out NOT to be brass. He said well it's still a great drum for a great deal - WTF is that BS excuse????

I got a full refund and he also paid for s/h back on a legit threat of reporting it to eBay to start a refund..........

16. Rich K.

Rich K. DFO Master

It's really easy to contact Ebay. Call them and they usually pick up quickly or call you right back. I've been shocked at how easy it's been.

17. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

If the description states "Ludwig" but you suspect the metal shell isn't a Ludwig, then you're completely justified in filing a "Not as described" complaint against the seller and entitled to a refund.
    it's a simple process to complete.

squidart likes this.
  18. Tama CW

Tama CW Well-Known Member

You don't have contact anyone to get a return/refund going. No permission is needed. If you're unhappy and deception or a lack of honesty was involved....fill out the request for return form. It cannot be ignored by the seller.

Just open up your purchase listing and click "I want to return this item." You will be asked a reason why. "Not as described" and other choices can be selected. Just point out the key problems and the deceptive listing....be detailed....list everything. State your case on why the listing was deceptive and not properly described....potentially fraudulent. Odds would suggest Ebay will side with you and authorize the return, even if the seller is unwilling or disagrees. It doesn't matter. A return shipping document will be provided. All you have to do is print it out, slap it on your package, and drop it off at the shipper. Very simple.

Mention the seller's other listing. And look back at their sold listings and check for other problems. It will only help...and show a pattern of deception. Get the old head back on. Don't say you initially changed it out. Just removing a head can be grounds for the item no longer being as delivered....and you lose your case.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 5:33 PM
    EvEnStEvEn likes this.