Brushing the aluminum of an acrolite

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by dtk, Feb 26, 2019.

1. dtk

dtk DFO Master

I bought a b/o badged shell off ebay ($44 shipped) that the previous owner tried to trick out with paint and kids sparkles. I've been hitting it with paint stripper and goof off and I'm getting to the last 15% of the gunk. I've noticed a few scratches and other 'damage' to the finish of the aluminum (it looks like maybe he used an exacto knife to cut the tape when he was painting). I'm thinking if I use fine steelwool or (?) I might be able to create a brushed look.

Anyone got any ideas? on giving it the brushed look? Anyone want to take it off my hands?

There's a little over spray inside the shell i might leave alone (maybe try a little and see how much of a big deal it is).

2. Pimp-a-diddle

Pimp-a-diddle Very well Known Member

If you live in the city, find a good, small, local fabrication shop with polishing services, and request a random brushed finish. I suggest a random because the bead is going to make it damned near impossible to get a consistent grain. Or what you could do is leave the bead alone, and have the just flat brushed out in a straight grain or a random.

dtk likes this.
  3. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Use 400 grit sand paper. Or, get some scotch-brite (green) sponges that are abrasive and go to town. It will be really easy for you to make it a brushed finish......I'd like to see it as it sounds like a fun project! But I have 3 ahead of it!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    dtk likes this.
  4. p83

p83 DFO Veteran

you could always go alex van halen on it. they get $2000 for that crazy stuff.

5. MillerMav

MillerMav Well-Known Member

I agree with the sand paper/scotchbrite idea. You really can't go wrong there. Make sure to where a dust mask while doing it though; aluminum boogers are no joke. I have polished many an aluminum car part in my day and the dust boogers are something else. But yeah; work your way from 400 grit sandpaper up to whenever you like the finish and then stop. I would hit it with a little satin nitro lacquer because if you don't your finger prints will show up immediately.

JazzDrumGuy and dtk like this.
  6. A_T_P

A_T_P Well-Known Member

I work in the abrasives (sandpaper) industry. We of course have sandpaper, but also that scotch brite material (known as surface conditioning). If you need anything let me know and I can make it happen, free of charge.

-Andrew

lossforgain and dtk like this.
  7. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

You can get a 5 pack of the non-branded abrasive green sponges for $1 at Dollar Tree....it's a great deal. They are very stiff and rough to the touch.

I even cut them into 1" squares and use them on my Dremel tool for when I need to buff something into a satin finish, or remove some major pitting.......dirt cheap goodness!

dtk and Fat Drummer like this.
  8. A_T_P

A_T_P Well-Known Member

Go Jazz’s route!

9. dtk

dtk DFO Master

Thank you all for the input...I missed the sponge on a dremel message...
    I did get some 400 sandpaper and had a finer sandpapering sponge...i didn't like the results...it took too much elbow grease and it seemed sort of boring...so...
    I ended up using a wire wheel on a drill and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I will probably end up posting it for sale here this week (I don't have the funds for parts..i think tubes and single flange would be cool)....stripping the paint and doing the brushing was very therapeutic ...I would do another for sure.

From the stripper and the old owners painting without blocking all the holes there's some over spray inside the shell...I'll probably clean that up a little...though the over spray i think adds some mojo with respect to what the drum has been through.

lossforgain likes this.
  10. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Please post when you can......I have a weak spot for Acro projects!

dtk likes this.