Buddy Rich on Seinfeld

Discussion in 'General' started by Vistalite Black, Dec 9, 2018.

1. bigbonzo

bigbonzo DFO Master

I disagree, as he was mean to a lot of people.
    I agree with Vistalite Black. Calling Glen Campbell an unschooled hillbilly is funny coming from an unschooled (insert your own inflammatory remark).

Olderschool and Vistalite Black like this.
  2. APelletier

APelletier DFO Veteran

Joe's right behind him with the camera! LMAO!

3. mebeatee

mebeatee Well-Known Member

I remember seeing the clip of him....BR...lambasting "both" kinds of music...country and western, and thinking what a condescending, myopic ass. He just pontificates on one kind of music. The ultimate "jazz snob"? At least he had the goods to back it up so he had us there.
    Sure he was a bitchin' drummer (especially when playing a whole bunch of notes), but it's a shame that he never quite understood the complexity and space of a "simple" groove or music.
    Maybe though he was a closet boom/bap or country shuffle fellow......tapes yet to be discovered and released. How cool would that be.....the long lost Buddy Rich at the Opry sessions.....featuring Glen Campbell and Roy Clarke......
    bt

Vistalite Black and bigbonzo like this.
  4. Paradiddle

Paradiddle DFO Veteran

Have you ever listened to a Buddy Rich Big Band album? Put Big Swing Face on and tell me he didn't understand groove and space. If you only watch his solos you are missing 99% of what made him an amazing drummer. For a guy known now for his chops, his ride cymbal pulse was amazing in how HARD it swung.

Many modern players could learn a thing or two about swing by checking out Buddy's playing.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    EvEnStEvEn and Tornado like this.