Busy Day - Estate Sale and School Surplus Auction

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by KCDrumDad, Oct 13, 2018.

1. KCDrumDad

KCDrumDad Very well Known Member

My son and I had a fun day today. Started out by getting in line early for an estate sale about 15 minutes from my house. Not surprisingly, the newer Pearl drums and Pulse cymbals were priced much higher than the dirty old Ludwigs and Zildjians. I left the Pearl and Pulse items for someone else to treasure. 22" Bass and 16" floor tom are WFL, 9x13" tom is Ludwig (about 1965), snare is a Transition badge Ludwig Pioneer in Black Diamond Pearl, and the Zildjians are Trans Stamp (12" hats and 15" crash, both very thin) and 70s Stamp 18" medium ride. A WFL Speed king high hat, Speed King bass pedal and an external bass muffler complete the ensemble. I will be on the lookout for a blue sparkle 9x13 WFL tom, a nickel WFL P-83 and a 22" WFL hoop. This is not the find of a lifetime, but I am very pleased.
    IMG_5637.JPG IMG_5640.JPG
    We then headed to a school surplus auction, but ran into some competition when they got to the musical instruments. I was outbid on some well used 70s Slingerland drums and a 32" Ludwig concert bass, but I did walk away with a nice set of Musser chimes (because, why not?). I will look for a school or pit drummer who might need them.
    All and all, some quality time with my son and some future fun cleaning these up.

robthetimekeeper and mlayton like this.
  2. Speedy Keen

Speedy Keen Very well Known Member

Looks like the bass drum is a 12" x 22" New Yorker style?

3. JDA

JDA DFO Master

snare is a beauty; don't give it away ;)

4. KCDrumDad

Good eye Tom. I had not really noticed that yet. I knew something looked a little different. Badge is not top dead center so the telescoping cymbal mount can be there. Floor tom has the spring loaded "clubdate style" leg mounts. I am pretty psyched. Funny thing was the T-rods and claws were in separate bags and one of the spurs and the cymbal arm were in a box of miscellaneous, all priced individually. Clearly not arranged by a knowledgeable drummer, but that also means they were not priced by a knowledgeable drummer. Drums were priced by size - 13" -$20, 14" - $30, 16" - $40, 22" - $50. So were the cymbals - 12" hats - $5 for the pair, 15" - $8, 18" - $10. As I said, I am happy. :) I did not have a lot of time to evaluate them, but for those prices, I just needed to buy them and get them to the van in a hurry. I am finally home and getting a chance to see what I bought.

Here is the picture that got me to the sale early. 1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  5. steambent

steambent DFO Master

Very cool

6. andlours

andlours Well-Known Member

I love those old WFL drums. They're definitely my favorite era of Ludwigs. Good job finding a New Yorker bass drum. I've been looking for one of those for quite some time now.

7. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

What a great way to spend a day! Nice snags Rick.

Is that a 12x22? Looks like it could be.
    My 1959 12x22 Ludwig bass is perhaps the best sounding bass drum I own.

8. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

Great finds there Rick! Will keep an eye out for a ride tom.

9. costanzadrums

costanzadrums Well-Known Member

Did you pick up those Oyster black Ludwig’s in the back too? Looks like a pioneer.

10. KCDrumDad

Kevin - Yes. Tom (Speedy Keen) spotted it quickly. I had not noticed it right away.
    Mike - Thanks. There is one on Ebay now, but I am concerned about color matching/fading issues.
    costanza - I got the Pioneer about a month or so ago. The set came with the Supra pictured on the floor tom.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  11. levelpebble

levelpebble Well-Known Member

KC, man that is my kind of day!. Best memories for me are with my son on the hunt for drum deals.

John

12. markrocks68

markrocks68 Very well Known Member

Really cool way to spend the day!

13. KCDrumDad

I have started the clean-up of this set. Lots of grime, but they came out very nicely. This is just after soap and water. Should improve more with some Novus. Some old age spots, but they are almost 70 years old.
    Before:
    IMG_5645.JPG IMG_5647.JPG
    After
    IMG_5650.JPG

14. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

How do you find out about school surplus auctions? I see estate sales all the time but have yet run into one of a former drummer! I did look at a house last year and it was owned by an elderly drummer who passed. His red Tama bop kit was part of the deal as were some of his cymbals - nothing fancy but still cool. But still not enough to convince my wife to buy it!
    He had a sign in front - "Club Paxton" - because he would host jazz jams, and a lot of photos of jazz players (Coltrane, Miles, etc.)......

d1.jpg D2.jpg

15. KCDrumDad

There is an annual school surplus auction for one of the local districts. This event has gone on for several years, so I just monitor the auction house's future auction calendar each fall.
    I have good luck with estate sales around here. In addition to the ones shown above, I have acquired a 60s Trixon set, a 60s Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl set, a 50s Slingerland BDP 8 lug snare. I was outbid on a 60's Ludwig Oyster Blue Pearl Downbeat set with cymbals at an estate auction earlier this year. There was an early 60s Black/Gold Duco Ludwig set offered last week, but that was gone before the sale started. I guess we just have been losing a lot of old drummers around here in recent years.

16. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Great info, thank you KC dad! I will check that out....

17. franke

franke DFO Master

Me jealous. All the estate sales in my area usually feature overpriced grandma slippers, toaster-ovens, and Popeil Pocket Fishermans'. School auctions are a real feast for collectors of vintage copying machines (particularly those that don't work and/or there are no longer parts for!).