CB700 Hi-Hat Stand . . . HELP!

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by drums147, Mar 24, 2013.

1. drums147

drums147 DFO Veteran

I thought I would throw this out to my vintage pals and see if any of you can help me out . . .

I have been playing a CB700 Hi-Hat stand for YEARS . . . I got it new in the `80's (geez) . . :laughing6: . . but it is a great stand that has never let me down . . . until now . . .

The threads on the bottom pull-rod are stripping out where the upper rod screws into it . . . I was hoping it was a coupling nut I could replace, but no, the bottom pull rod is a heavy steel rod that has been drilled and tapped . . . my luck sucks . . . sigh-h-h-h-h . . . it would be nice to find a replacement part, but I doubt that I can find a part for "cheap-o" stand from the 80's . . .

ANYWAY . . . enough of my woes . . . does anyone have one of these stands they could sell or trade me that I could use for parts . . . or to replace my stand . . .

Let me know if you have anything . . . I would really like to get this stand working again . . . NAD

Attached Files:

2. cruddyeye

cruddyeye Associate in Charge of Something

Have you thought about taking it to a machine shop? they might be able cut a little off, re-drill and tap some new threads. I don't think I've seen one like this.

3. mudjacker2

mudjacker2 Very well Known Member

Here are a couple ideas for ya.....you could cut a new thread with the right size die. Just thread a little further onto the rod. Its also been my experience that many brands of center rod have the same thread size on the bottom....so, if you could tell the thread size, perhaps someone could get you a rod that fits properly....even if its not a Cb.....I have lots of hi hat parts and rods and would be happy to look if you can tell me the size.....

4. drums147

drums147 DFO Veteran

I have a gig tonight, but I will take the rod out tomorrow and post the dimensions and a picture . . . sure would like to get this old dog working again . . .(did you notice the welded footboard :laughing3: ) . . . thanks . . . NAD

5. gryphon

gryphon ?????!

Eagerly awaiting a photo of the rod.

jim

6. TommyWells

TommyWells Pro/Founder

REMO made a hi-hat stand like that as well. So did Gibraltar. Just watch ebay and you could find one. Then you could have a working one and one for parts for the future. Probably get it cheap, too. So just set up a search for CB-700, Gibraltar and Remo hi-hat stands....

7. lazer

lazer DFO Master

,yes good idea Tommy,

pick one up used and you'll have spare parts

8. drummerjohn333

drummerjohn333 DFO Veteran

I have one of the Gibraltars from the same era (My pedal is black and the I have the aluminum molded joints). I love it and have been playing it since I snagged it up (new I think....can't remember!) in the late 80s. My (aluminum molded joiint) section where the tops of the legs wrap around the center tube totally broke (where the T-bolt screws into.) When it happened about 10 years ago, I slapped a hose clamp on it and it has been on there ever since! (I even super-glued a dime into the screw slot). It is and will remain my A HH stand.

John

9. drums147

drums147 DFO Veteran

Hello, friends!!

Let me first say that I regret it took me so long to get the stand disassembled and pictures posted . . . my life is kind of fooked up and I don't think the builder meant for this stand to be disassembled . . . LOL!

ANYWAY . . . here is a picture of the rod I need . . . it is 3/8” diameter . . . 17" in length and has two threaded holes (
    that the springs attach to) drilled opposite of each other 7" from the bottom of the rod (I think they 4 mm, but I don’t have a metric gauge) . . . and a hole drilled in the top-end for the pull-rod . . . looks like 6mm . . . the measurements are in all reality probably metric, but I am old school . . . .

If anyone has a rod like this in their spare parts box I need it . . . of course the end threads cannot be stripped out of any of the holes . . . . THANK YOU ALL . . . NAD

Attached Files:

10. mudjacker2

mudjacker2 Very well Known Member

Well, that is a weird one.....just dug through my parts bin and do not have one to match(sorry)....

11. 67Mopar

67Mopar God Speed Jerry

helicoil

12. drums147

drums147 DFO Veteran

Thanks everyone . . . I found a couple of these stands on eBay, but they want more than the price of a new stand . . . looks like it's going in the parts pile . . . good-bye old friend . . . NAD

13. TommyWells

TommyWells Pro/Founder

:icon_e_sad:

14. gryphon

gryphon ?????!

Wait! Don't give up yet.

Get a metric thread tap that matches the end of the rod and the matching drill bit. I am guessing it's something like a 6mm x 1mm thread. Use the existing hole as a guide to drill about another 1" down the end of the rod. Clamp the rod to something that will hold it vertical while you are drilling it so you can put some oil in the hole to cool the drill bit.

When the hole is finished, cut off the stripped part and thread the hole you just drilled. The top rod will now be shorter by the amount you cut off the lower rod, but you should still be able to make it work.

Total cost shouldn't be more than $15 for the tap and the drill bit.

I would also check a machine shop. Shouldn't cost more than $25 to have it done. Anyone you know know a machinist? This would be a lunch break "government job" for most guys.

An alternative if you don't have to take the stand apart to pack it would be to drill a hole through the two rods and pin them together. That would be the easiest and cheapest solution; couple bucks for a roll pin and a couple fresh drill bits.

I can understand your attachment to that stand. I have a couple lower cymbal stand sections by CB700, and they are really nice and light.

jim

15. schipper

schipper New Member

Found this while doing a "CB700 pull rod" search. Mine slipped out of my hardware bag. Any idea where to get just a pull rod for the CB700??

16. drummerjohn333

drummerjohn333 DFO Veteran

LOVE my HH stand like this (Gibraltar). Luckily no problems yet with the pull-rod.
    Schipper - be sure to consult the OP through a PM and see how he solved his problem. A HH stand worth saving!