.cheap snare tweaks

Discussion in 'General' started by gezz, Jul 23, 2018.

1. gezz

gezz DFO Master

Yamaha stage custom 5.5x14" birch..
    10 lugger!!! Was gonna flip this BUT I'm impressed.. Once the wires were substituted for pearl ultrasounds the papery characterless vibe changed..
    Lively and crisp, sensitive and really great quality backbeat.
    Puting an amb X and a hazy amb snare on bottom and ordered a pair of die cast 10 lugger hoops.
    The throw is functional a bit stiff but a bit lithium grease made the action smoother..
    This drum will be tamed by the cast hoops and give more focus.. But I really like it a lot.

Gerry

2. bp350

bp350 Active Member

They really are pretty good drums with new heads and wires, especially for the price!

3. Drumceet

Drumceet Well-Known Member

When I bought my Yamaha SC I quickly purchased a vintage Ludwig Supra snare and put the Yamaha birch snare in storage. I just took it back out and set it up as a second snare to my left. Tuned it up high and I’m amazed at how good it sounds, and the contrast it offers to the Ludwig. It almost sounds like a piccolo snare, and still has a little ring which I love.

I’m glad I took it out of storage to experiment with it. I put on new Pearl snare wires, a Remo ambassador reso head and an Evans coated 360 head. So far so good.

4. shuffle

shuffle DFO Master

My SC snare was like the rest of the kit,surprisingly developed out in the listener field,phat,articulate.
    I did sell it with the kit,replacing it with the Blackro.
    I have two kits of the SCs.