Classic Rock......really???

Discussion in 'General' started by JazzDrumGuy, Feb 13, 2019.

1. singleordoubleheads

singleordoubleheads DFO Veteran

I feel your pain--to me (I'm 51) Classic Rock is Early Beatles up thru Hysteria...(MAYBE GnR too?)

We have an "oldies" station here in Pittsburgh (3WS). Back in the early 90s I worked a job where the boss usually controlled the radio and he had it on quite often. It was a steady diet of stuff like Lou Christy, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Green Tambourine, Elvis, etc. The past few years (when I happen to hear it) it has shifted drastically to stuff like Journey, Boston, etc. I was shocked to say the least.

One more thing--our 1,000,000 year old AM station (KDKA) for many years now actually, has been shifting to bumper music (usually cutting out before any vocals start) of Zep, Rush, Def Leopard, Doors, etc. Something the Blue Hairs would have flipped out over back in the day LOL!!

2. blueshadow

blueshadow Just Shuffling along Staff Member Moderator

Reminds me of playing in country bands. About 10 years ago I was playing a gig with a bass player about the same age as me (37 at that time) the singer was probably late 50's and asked if we knew Neon Moon, pretty much a standard at this point from Brooks and Dunn, probably released 1992ish... the bass player said "I don't know any of the new country" lol at that point it was already almost 20 years old, but not considered Classic country I guess

3. Tornado

Tornado Very well Known Member

Age has a way of happening really quickly!

4. equipmentdork

equipmentdork DFO Veteran

I worked in radio in the late 80's, and even then stations were playing around with AOR and adding things like Bon Jovi and Eddie Money's latest and calling it "ROCK 40" or coming up with terms like "Z51 Power Rock" to mean "harder" stuff like Yngwie Malmsteen. "Consultants", rather than just music directors, were also just coming in.

The classic rock station by me goes a little off script every now and then, with an occasional "Cats In The Cradle" and "Everybody Wants To Rule The World", which really aren't classic rock by any stretch.

Dan

5. chollyred

chollyred Well-Known Member

This was our "Classic Rock" playlist this morning:

You Really got Me
    Caught Up In You
    The Final Countdown
    Wish You Were Here
    Dude (Looks Like a Lady)
    The Break-Up Song
    Dancing With Myself
    Crazy On You
    Hold The Line

6. Bonzoholic

Bonzoholic Helluva Nice Guy

YACHT ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

dale w miller likes this.
  7. dale w miller

dale w miller Well-Known Member

These songs discussed are older than what we called Oldies when we were young.

Tornado likes this.
  8. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

I do think there is a cultural shift that occurred in the mid 60's which goes beyond simple one generation replacing another. I've heard it said that The Beatles are as out of touch with today's youth as Scott Joplin was to the baby boomers. But in 1965, your working drummer wasn't continually griping about playing The Entertainer night after night after night the way people talk about Mustang Sally. I submit that as evidence that there is in fact a difference here

Tornado likes this.
  9. dale w miller

dale w miller Well-Known Member

WREK in ATL.

10. jtpaistegeist

jtpaistegeist Very well Known Member

Another thought. Classic rock is really just pre-MTV rock. Once looks and image were brought into the game, everything changed. Bands were promoted more by looks and image than sound and talent.

Peterk256 likes this.
  11. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

Disco and the 70's predates MTV. Nuff said.

12. jtpaistegeist

jtpaistegeist Very well Known Member

I meant the MTV comment as a generality, not that every single band 100% are lookers geez. I find Cardi B atrocious looking but she is famous, somehow, for what IDK.

13. snappy

snappy Very well Known Member

Classic Rock is a genre.
    Never heard that before.
    Well put.
    Interestingly,
    A car can be considered "classic" in some states after its 20 years old (some 25, florida 30) and receive the classic car license plates.
    I believe the same thinking will be used in some circles moving forward: after a certain year it will be considered "classic".
    Technically a 1999 Hyundai Accent is a classic but one would be a jackass to put that license plate on it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  14. RIDDIM

RIDDIM DFO Master

My mind was blown when Breezin' was marketed as jazz.

Things haven't improved.

15. Vistalite Black

Vistalite Black Ludwigs in the Basement

I'm surprised the ol' grizzled DJs we heard from didn't correct this, but it's caused a lot of confusion in this thread.

Classic Rock is not a genre. It's a radio format. It consists of about 600 songs (more or less) that have been endlessly tested in focus groups to cast out any and all songs that may cause large numbers of listeners to turn off or change the station.

The reason it's no a genre is it is made up of numerous, distinct rock genres, from the full-on metal of Black Sabbath and Quiet Riot to the punk of the Clash to the overproduced twaddle of Steely Dan, the psychedelia Jefferson Airplace/Grateful Dead to the progressive rock of Pink Floyd and Yes. The only thing that ties all that together is all are tolerated by adult men and women who don't seek new music, but like the familiarity of songs that were popular once upon a time.

Here's a definition from Wikipedia:

Classic rock is a radio format which developed from the album-oriented rock (AOR) format in the early 1980s. In the United States, the classic rock format features music ranging generally from the mid-1960s to the late 1980s, primarily focusing on commercially successful hard rock popularized in the 1970s.[1] The radio format became increasingly popular with the baby boomer demographic by the end of the 1990s.[2]

Although classic rock has mostly appealed to adult listeners, music associated with this format received more exposure with younger generations of listeners with the presence of the Internet and digital downloading.[3] Some classic rock stations also play a limited number of current releases which are stylistically consistent with the station's sound, or by heritage acts that are still active and producing new music.[4]

16. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I must have had a bad radio day. I went out during lunch and heard Cars' Just What I Needed, Zep's Kashmir, ZZ's La Grange, Police' Spirits ITMW, SRV's Texas Flood & GT's Who Do You Love! Things are right again in the world.....phew!

Also, this station has Nights with Alice Cooper which lends some credibility to it, although the ad I heard said he had some Motley Crue he was going to play.....I like the (old) Crue, but again, that's not classic rock to me, but it may be to a high school drummer!

17. Mcjnic

Mcjnic DFO Veteran

I thought I had explained this yesterday afternoon. I apologize if it was not clear enough.

18. Vistalite Black

Surely you're not referring to your post that made no distinction between genre and format, then concluded with this absurd claim:

"So, by definition ... Classic Rock, as it relates to Radio Format Programming has a very specific time period.
    It spans from around 1968-1981 ... give or take a handful of months. Try as they may, that time period cannot be changed. It is based on the history of Radio Format developments."

Here's a partial list of Classic Rock Radio Format bands that debuted long after 1981: Guns 'n Roses (1987), Lenny Kravitz (1989), Blues Traveler (1990), Pearl Jam (1991) and Poison (1986).

19. Mcjnic

Mcjnic DFO Veteran

Please take some time to educate yourself on this topic. It's distressing that you continue to speak without the necessary foundational knowledge of topic after topic after topic on this forum. It really is frustrating that you continue to question things you know very little about. I have had to clear quite a few things up with you. There's a list of threads that you have attempted to snipe at an individual or even myself ... only to realize you lack the facts necessary to continue the discussion. I'm not sure why you feel the need to go on the offensive attack so often here. It would certainly move these threads along without having to deal with your sniping and negative takes.

One last thing to shine a light upon ... "Classic Rock, as it relates to Radio Format Programming" ... infers the FORMAT of Classic Rock.

Please, for the love of God, learn to read ... ... ...

I am refusing to "argue" this topic with you. Maybe someone else here will enjoy the back and forth.
    Thanks.

20. Vistalite Black

It is distressing when someone refutes your BS with inarguable facts!