Cleaning Old Calfskin Heads

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by johnnydrums, Aug 9, 2013.

1. johnnydrums

johnnydrums Drumming Fool!!

I have never done it, and if the majority says "Don't do it" I may not. As clean and minty as these WFL's are, I'd like to have the heads in the same shape. Am I in for a tough task?? Thanks and appreciate any help.

Sorry, Mods please move to Resto and Rehab Tips, or delete. I was thinking that vintage heads..vintage venue. oops

2. CSR

CSR Member since May 2000

A soft art eraser, gently used, will help some.

3. bharrington

bharrington Very well Known Member

Top - Soap and water usually do the trick for me but it depends on what I'm trying to remove. Just be aware that if you really start to scrub, the head will start to "shave" down and get thinner. So - a great way to clean up a really thick drum head but also an easy way to put a hole in it or make it very uneven if you aren't careful. I rehabbed a 22" Slingerland head covered in duct tape without too much trouble. I think the main rule is just be light with it. Also remember that as you use water, the head will start to expand and loosen, so be sure to dry it off and seat it back on a drum afterward to keep its shape.

Attached Files:

4. curotto

curotto DFO Master

Don't let water into the tucked area...

Mike Curotto

5. Powertone

Powertone DFO Veteran

Hey Tophat... Thanks for showing me that exquisite kit yesterday! Definitely a time capsule. You know what my vote is....

6. Capt Wierd

Capt Wierd Very well Known Member

Do not use hot water, it will take the gelatin out of the head, nice luke warm water, as Mike says, do not submerge the whole head in water, it will unseal the tucking

I know calfskin, this place moos of calves of seasons past at night

7. DrumGerry

DrumGerry Very well Known Member

I once cleaned an old Pandeiro that had a goat-skin head. Amazing how good it looked after a wipe with a damp, soft cloth. Don't even think about tuning back up until it's totally dried out however.

8. BrianOwens

BrianOwens Drumsforever

THJ, I know that you are "Mr. Clean" when it comes to restorations but stay away from steel wool, sandpaper and bleach! LOL!
    Seriously do not saturate only wipe it down with a lightly dampened towel sparingly, let it air dry for several hours at least before playing it. I am not sure about the dry eraser but you could try it out on your face first to see how it works! :jerk: