Cleaning up Ludwig White Cortex finish

Discussion in 'Resto and Rehab tips' started by Skyrm, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Skyrm

Skyrm DFO Master

I just picked up a giant 8-piece '76 Ludwig White Cortex kit. Finish is showing it's age and needs a good cleanup. I also got a RB Gretsch satin flame kit, and found some great cleaning tips in another thread.

So...how does one clean up Cortex?

Thanks!

2. RogersLudwig

RogersLudwig DFO Veteran

I use Mcguires Cleaner Wax for automobiles. it cleans and leaves a nice shiny finish

3. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

White Cortex is a really tough and durable drum wrap. Best to start with a typical household countertop & appliance cleaner like 409 or Simple Green. I used to use aerosol glass cleaner on my white cortex Ludwigs but almost anything that cleans should work fine.

4. Skyrm

Skyrm DFO Master

Thanks guys! I have a big kit to do: dual 24's, 12,13,14,15 toms and 16 & 18 floors. Can't wait to clean it and then set it all up!!

5. c0r1n

c0r1n Well-Known Member

I used diluted white vinegar for a basic cleaning and then mineral spirits for stubborn gunk on my walnut cortex. Worked pretty well.

Attached Files:

6. TheElectricCompany

TheElectricCompany Very well Known Member

That looks great! Do you dilute the mineral spirits at all or just apply as much as needed to remove the junk?

7. Skyrm

Skyrm DFO Master

Wow, I will have to try that!!!

8. c0r1n

c0r1n Well-Known Member

I didn't dilute the mineral spirits at all. Just a little on a rag and then scrub. Repeat. It worked well on the cortex.
    I also tried WD40 and Goo Gone, but mineral spirits worked the best on my kit. Just had to remove tons and tons of old adhesive. I did a drum a day, basically.

For the hardware, I polished most of it with Quick Glo. For rusty pieces, particularly the hoops and tension rods, I soaked overnight to a couple days in straight white vinegar and then lightly scrubbed with an sos pad. Not too hard, just enough to remove the loosened rust.

The before and after are pretty striking. I can't believe it came out as well as it did.

Attached Files:

TheElectricCompany likes this.
  9. c0r1n

c0r1n Well-Known Member

And yes, that's an old rusty Camco tom mount!

10. TheElectricCompany

TheElectricCompany Very well Known Member

I didn't dilute the mineral spirits at all. Just a little on a rag and then scrub. Repeat. It worked well on the cortex.
    I also tried WD40 and Goo Gone, but mineral spirits worked the best on my kit. Just had to remove tons and tons of old adhesive. I did a drum a day, basically.

For the hardware, I polished most of it with Quick Glo. For rusty pieces, particularly the hoops and tension rods, I soaked overnight to a couple days in straight white vinegar and then lightly scrubbed with an sos pad. Not too hard, just enough to remove the loosened rust.

The before and after are pretty striking. I can't believe it came out as well as it did.

Wow, those are stunning. Really great work, man, and thanks for the info! Have you ever tried the mineral spirits on a regular Ludwig wrap besides the cortex?

11. c0r1n

c0r1n Well-Known Member

No, I haven't. This is my first Ludwig kit!