Clear Coat on Hardware?

Discussion in 'Resto and Rehab tips' started by retrosonic, Sep 1, 2014.

1. retrosonic

retrosonic DFO Veteran

Hey guys. I will soon be restoring a rare 1957 Sonor set that at first glance looked hopeless. However its 95% complete and I think I can save it.

Anyway, the lugs, rims , snare clips, etc were once chromed, but rust and flaking and pitting have really done them in. What I'm thinking of doing, after getting the rust off with Dawn, etc, is going over all of them with emery cloth, trying to get them down to the bare metal, polish, and then spraying them with Clear Coat. My thinking is that this would be the best they could look without a re-chrome, which I was not going to do because of the expense.

Any thoughts? Have any of you used Clear Coat on the metal parts?

2. lovethemGretsch

lovethemGretsch Very well Known Member

I've done that to some cheapo drums and stands/hardware just so they're presentable; used Bullseye spray shellac (seems more durable than acryllics). Only thing to watch out for is the increased thickness of it can interfere with sliding fits ...
    - Does the trick !

3. Dave H.

Dave H. DFO Master

If you really want it to look new get the hardware re-chromed!

4. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

I think your solution could work fine.

I once sanded down a large steel cowbell to bare metal then clear-coated it with Flecto-Varathane from a rattle can.
    It looked like a factory job and the coating lasted for 25 years.

Edit: Evidently "slawman" bumped this 4 yr.old thread today in order to suggest "Re-chroming"??

wow.