Contrast in your set up

Discussion in 'Cymbal Talk' started by gezz, Nov 9, 2018.

1. gezz

gezz DFO Master

It blows me away seeing how som e
    Drummers have cymbals that are as close to each other in sonic likeness and in character that basically they all sound pretty much the same albeit in a different size..
    I use only 3 cymbals and hats.. My A custom 18" fast Crash could not be more different from my 19" 2oo2 and My A Custom Sizzle Ride OR 602 Ride is again another voice..yet I would say my cymbals are of a similar character they stand out from each other enough to give me just the right amount of contrast as to be greatly versatile.. Yet give me balance and they complement each other superbly well.. My sound edge 13" 2oo2 hats bring my set up together and balances the warm glassy paiste Distinct richness with the " colder" Sharper classic zildjian shimmer.. Ginger Baker and John Bonham esq cymbals in one set up..
    A drummer friend (one of the few) on FB uses meinl byzance all dry series..
    Hats Ride and 4 X crashes.. Same series same character.. It's sonically boring..

Gerry

2. supershifter2

supershifter2 DFO Master

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Pounder and gezz like this.
  3. gezz

gezz DFO Master

4. Pounder

Pounder DFO Master

I was thinking about this yesterday as i put together this kit. Honestly I have no problem whatsoever with same-cymbals, even the same size, in a setup, assuming the utility of them is consistent with the style. For instance, you have a rock setup where you want a remote hihats both right and left for easy access, or if you have same size crashes or even one 17 and an 18 or 16 on either side, again you want to play rock and you're just hitting crashes for rock and want to play easily with left or right hands.

That being said, this is a setup that I functionally want different sounds from each cymbal. 15" 50s thin avedis hats, 50s thin 17" sizzle ride/crash, 80s 21" rock ride and a 18" Paiste 505 china.

5. gezz

gezz DFO Master

pounder said
    "

"That being said, this is a setup that I functionally want different sounds from each cymbal. 15" 50s thin avedis hats, 50s thin 17" sizzle ride/crash, 80s 21" rock ride and a 18" Paiste 505 china."

Exactly what I'm talking about.. Excellent set up!!!

6. RickP

RickP Dan RH Jr.

I like complimentary cymbals for my Pop/Rock gigs , but for my Big band gigs I like cymbals with more contrast. For example my Big Band set up
    now has a Sabian 20" AAX Prototype ride has a pronounced stick definition ( not all ping) and cutting bell. My crashes 18" HHX Legacy and 18" HH thin are darker and have more spread, but still get out of the way quick. I also have a darker 20" Artisan Light ride and 14" Artisan Light hihats. This way I can cover playing behind a wide variety of instruments and still ave the ability to cut through when required.

For Pop/Rock gigs I use either an entire Paiste 602 setup or Paiste Masters setup. I like these two lines for amplified music as they cut through and have that inherent Paiste shimmer.

7. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

I've tried mixing brands/formulas and just don't care for the contrasts, either behind the set or in the audience. To my ear, staying consistent within cymbal groupings simply sounds more consistent and pleasantly unitized. Hearing crash cymbal mixes of B20s and, say, B8s sounds brash and unharmonious. Again, to my tastes.

I like the variations created by subtle, but distinct, frequency changes offered by cymbals grouped by formula. My cymbal set consists of all Sabian and Zildjian B20s, machine and hand hammered. I currently use (2) 16" crashes, one 17" crash, and one 18" crash, and each one has a distinct personality that is readily identifiable. Even so, there is a pleasant consistency and common tone to the family - much like siblings within a human family. Each person has a unique personality, but it is usually not hard to recognize each as belonging to a common ancestry. This is true even with my '70s Zildjian Pang cymbal. Even with its china tonality, it is obviously of the same clan as the other cymbals, and blends with them seamlessly.

Again, these are simply my preferences. They are no more or less valid than anybody else's.

GeeDeeEmm

JDA likes this.
  8. supershifter2

supershifter2 DFO Master

Paiste 2002 15" heavy

9. Tmcfour

Tmcfour DFO Veteran

My current set up is fairly contrasting.
    Sabian 18"aax crash is bright and wet.

Wuhan 18" thin western crash is dark but not dry, I really love this cymbal. It isn't perfect for every thing but I just love the warmth of the sound out of it. Hit together I get a really huge range of tone.

16" Wuhan western style standard crash. Just a good all around "pre-eq'd" crash. It sounds smaller than the Sabian but still has a real nice accent crash sound, decays pretty fast.

20" Sabian Metal Ride. LOUD. Great stick articulation and nice wash... can get away from you in a quiet setting because it builds but quiet settings aren't really my forte' any way.

14" Sabian Sizzle hats. Neat sound. Nice chik when used with a foot, not unlike quick beats. Nice slosh, if maybe a little in the higher ranges, for their size because of the rivets.

10. gezz

gezz DFO Master

I love a b20 crash with a b8 .... Interesting and profound statement in different flavours.

Gerry

11. Drumolator

Drumolator Active Member

My cymbals have a good difference in pitch.

AA El Sabor 18"
    AAX X-plosion Crash 17"
    AA X-plosion Crash 16"
    XS20 Medium Hats 14"

Peace and goodwill.

12. Bri6366

Bri6366 Very well Known Member

I'm currently using an all Paiste 2002 setup. I like to have a common theme and they blend perfectly together. Years ago I had a mix of A Zildjians and K Custom Darks. From the driver's seat they were great individually, but sounded like they belonged on two different kits.

13. rculberson

rculberson Very well Known Member

I like contrast, and am able to achieve it either using cymbals from one line (Paiste Masters in my case), or with a mix and match of brands and vintages. I love big hats, so use them in both my cymbal sets. Left side cymbal is riveted, main position is my most versatile cymbal in both sets, and the right side cymbal is a swish/trashy sound.

Set 1 is:
    Hats - Paiste 17" Traditional thin crash over 17" Dark Energy crash
    Left - Paiste 20" Masters Thin with 2 rivets
    Main - Paiste 24" Masters Thin
    Right - Paiste 22" Masters Swish

Set 2 is:
    Hats - same as above (my go to hats for any occasion)
    Left - Sabian 20" Sound Control ride with 2 rivets
    Main - 22" A Zildjian Trans stamp
    Right - 20" Meinl Trash crash

With either set, I'm getting familiar sounds that also contrast well between each other.

14. Mn02

Mn02 Well-Known Member

I like to mix and match. This weekend I paired 14 A custom hats with a 19 dark thi. Crash and a 20 k con bounce ride. It worked really well with a good balance between high and low pitched cymbals. Granted there are times when the setting calls for uniformity. There have been plenty of occasions where an all A or A custom set was most appropriate.

15. RyanR

RyanR Underaged Curmudgeon

Really, you only need so much contrast for a given "genre" (for want of a better term). I mean, you could take contrast to a new level with some Agop Sigs and a 2002 Rock Ride. ;)

-Ryan

16. jdc

jdc Well-Known Member

I use a lot of different things but don’t really focus much on the pitch of the cymbals. That is partly because my hearing is pretty damaged.

For my gigs this week, I used 22” K Con Med-Thin High and 20” K Custom Dry Light Ride. The piano player told me that the pitches were surprisingly close, with the 20” being the lower one. But the dryness of the 20” was a good contrast to the spread of the 22”. The guys loved the cymbals and were very much appreciative of the contrast in volume and spread of the cymbals, and so did the audience. There were a number of people who complimented on their sound.

The other group of cymbals I’ve been using likely fall into this same boat.

24” K Con
    19” K Con mini bell

Or

22” Avedis
    20” Kerope

They’re all cymbals that feel great together.

17. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

As a jazzer, I try to only use 2 cymbals and hats. Both are generally rides (or could be large crashes), with bells, but my left is usually a higher pitched 20 and my right is usually a lower (relative to the left) 22 ride. Rarely, I have a 3rd right side cymbal that has rivets (I use cymbals with rivets often but it's rare I have 3 cymbals).

18. RyanR

RyanR Underaged Curmudgeon

Once you add music, contrast gets hard to maintain. A different room can wash out the differences as well. These days, I try to split the difference with one cymbal rather than, for example, use two crashes.

-Ryan

gezz likes this.
  19. gezz

gezz DFO Master

Yes agreed

Gerry