Craziest crowd you`ve played for.

Discussion in 'General' started by mebeatee, Feb 11, 2019.

1. mebeatee

mebeatee Well-Known Member

The biggest crowd thread got me to thinking about playing for crowds whose reaction and involvement are absolutely bonkers. We sit behind our drums up on a riser and just watch the crowd bouncing all over the place and then you realize that it`s yourself and band mates that are the root of this wonderful problem by giving them something to get excited about and shake their booties.....
    Our little combo has made buildings shake and crowds have broken dance floors on a few occasions and luckily no one has ever gotten hurt as far as we know.....well maybe a few small things in a mosh pit but nothing major.
    So tell/show us your crazy crowd moments.
    I`ll start....here`s a vid of a crazy crowd at the good ol` Town Pump in Vancouver from many many moons ago....however we are still at it (pix in big crowd thread)......and now these folks kids come to the shows.....
    bt

Just another day at the office...seriously...it`s what we do.

2. Radio King

Radio King DFO Veteran

This was my band almost a year ago: St. Patrick's Day, 2018. Pretty, um, colorful crowd, as is usually the case when we play there. Too bad our lead guitarist had gotten a bit too festive. I call it "Searching for the lost barre chord", lol.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  3. RogersLudwig

RogersLudwig DFO Veteran

My college band played at the state mental hospital at Camarillo in the early 1970s. Does that count?

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  4. TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy Ringo Fire

We've played a place where the employees would swing like gymnasts from the rafters and perform other stripper-type moves on the bar itself. This place also does a wet t-shirt contest on Wednesdays.

The craziest crowds we usually have are those inebriated and falling on the dance floor or worse, on my drums. That's happened way too many times.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  5. audiochurch

audiochurch Very well Known Member

Toddlers at numerous daycare/preschool gigs.

and i LOVED it!!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  6. mattmalloy66

mattmalloy66 Very well Known Member

About 2001, a band I played in had a regular weekly gig on Saturdays at a biker bar we called the crack house. Not it's actual name, but appropriate, and we played there because they paid us very well.
    One night a larger than usual fight broke out, and a natural gas heater was torn from the wall.
    People were smoking in the bar.
    The entire crowd ran for the exits so fast that we didn't even know what the hell was going on, but we ran too.
    Not nearly the biggest crowd, but definitely the craziest night.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  7. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

LOL! Bunch of crazy crowd gigs, all forgettable, IMHO. Drunk a$$holes coming up on stage trying to sing along. It's always a bit of trouble getting them off stage without causing a scene.

8. kluger

kluger Very well Known Member

Played a campground gig for a group of hashers, a drinking club with a running problem. Crazy! Full nudity from the get go. Our opening act was a talent show, final act before we went on was a guy who shot bottle rockets out his a*s, very good trajectory . Routine and choreographed flashing for the band, and of course midnight nude run around the campground. We were a crazy band and fit right in, played their events for the next few years.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  9. Rotarded

Rotarded Well-Known Member

Played a gig in a small college town about 30 mins north of Columbus, Ohio. Pretty big place, literally at the corner of campus. From 9:30 to midnight we probably had no more than 35 people in there at any given time. At midnite the floodgates opened and the bar was standing room only within 15 minutes, The bar had 3 people checking IDs as the line outide grew and grew. They were packied in, even standing on the tables, until 2:30am when they filed out. It was insane. 200+ college kids power drinking and screaming along to every song. I wont even mention the hotties packing the dance floor.
    To this day I have never experienced a morgue of a place, turn into a madhouse in a matter of minutes.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  10. polycrescendo

polycrescendo Well-Known Member

My first band (early 2000's metal) played only rowdy shows really. The only way to get a gig was to open for even more rowdy bands that only drew crowds of angry/confused kids that were mad that their grandma didn't loan them the Cadillac for the weekend. These kids showed up expecting to get in the mosh pit no matter what was going on on stage.
    Drummer warms up: circle pit
    Singer (screamer) introduces the band: circle pit
    Bass player breaks a string: circle pit
    One fateful night, a few bands rented out the American Legion Hall in my town and put on a show with absolutely zero security or common sense. Alcohol was served, it was icy outside, the tile floor was a slip n' slide of muddy slush. Our band began a song called "Six Stitches" and not 30 seconds in, a guy in the mosh pit somehow busts his head open and is rushed to the hospital. He received 6 Staples in his head. 6 Stitches became 6 Staples. Life immitates art?

Tornado and EvEnStEvEn like this.
  11. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

Wowee! Great band, I loved your clip!

I can vouch for those wild Canadian bar patrons........

In 1981 we played at a hotel bar waaay out in Squamish, B.C. it was a typical dead night, playing to the wait staff and a couple locals - until the 2nd set when a hockey team & their entourage came streaming in with a big golden trophy they'd obviously won earlier. These dudes lit up the place immediately chanting their fight songs at ear-splitting volume and buying drinks for the band and anyone else.

Loverboy's current hit was "Turn Me Loose" and when we began playing it that brought the frenzied atmosphere to a new level. Suddenly the hockey team and their buddies pushed a teammate up to the microphone to sing along...completely naked. Then after fits of rowdy laughter they ALL got naked and stumbled to the mic to "help" their buddy "sing". Now there's like 25 drunken hockey players all completely naked on the stage gyrating and screaming.....yikes.

Long story short, they stayed til closing, got the band raving blotto on free drinks and tipped us more than the actual gig paid for the entire weekend. Oh Canada!

12. Doof

Doof DFO Veteran

4 years ago at in a beautiful town on the shore of Lake Huron. Played a celebration of summer event in the town sqare. We were on one of those truck trailers that convert into a large stage. It was our first time working with the sound reinforcement company, and their first time at this event as well.

Afternoon sound check was great. Beautiful scenery, a few older folks strolling the area, and some locals watching us go through the motions. The sound was incredible onstage, and out front they had 2 huge towers and lots of subs. We couldn’t wait for the show to start that night.

Well what a sh*t show it became. The scene changed to 500 or so very drunk younger 20 somethings who started out to be fun, but you could feel the mood change as the night went on. A few shoves became fights, which became large brawls. The Provincial Police started to kick people out, which enraged others, which led to even more trouble. It got to the point where we were invisible and all the focus was on the chaos in the crowd. The cops were outnumbered and the audience turned on them, and the speaker towers. They climbed the towers ,threw speakers to the ground, climbed onstage where we pleaded with people to calm down. To no avail, we were told to call it a night. We tore down our gear as fast as possible and amid the sirens, people running everywhere, and cops taking people to the ground, we found the event organizer to get paid and hauled it out of there.

The next time we played that event, the same company brought line array speakers mounted high and subs and stage was behind barriers. Lessons were learned.

MasterBlaster likes this.
  13. p83

p83 DFO Veteran

in washington state we have a biker group called ABATE. they used to have (and still may) a rally called ''the spring opener'' in eastern washington. there were thousands of folks there and live music was a big part of it. part of the evening entertainment was the band vamping while women got naked and danced on stage and had their breasts judged. if they wanted to ''win'', they did more than dance with each other.................................anyway, i played it more than once and it was a trip.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  14. studrum

studrum DFO Veteran

Relaxin', like Bird. Yes, it does.

15. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

Haha, I don't think that's exclusive to eastern Washington, man.
    That sounds like most biker rallies I've ever played!

Roadappledrummer likes this.
  16. bonehead

bonehead Well-Known Member

Marine Base at 29 Palms...bottled beer or a bottle of champagne/ sparkling wine, no cups.....it was nuts...400 marines** and 3 women/girlfriends? 3 Nights

** just realized this was the most people I’ve played in front of, forgot all those military base gigs in the late 70’s

17. equipmentdork

equipmentdork DFO Veteran

You're gonna laugh...the craziest crowd was at a CYO function. Yes, at a church. I was 19 and the other guys were 15 and 17. This was 1987.

What happened was my band agreed to back up this lead singer, with whom we hadn't played before. Seemed like an OK guy. A friend of a friend.
    What we didn't know was the town we played in HATED the town we were from.
    To make matters worse, without telling us, this guy dressed head to toe in leather and fringes and a cap with a riding crop.
    I counted off "Love Removal Machine" and out comes this guy from Frankie Goes To Hollywood, lipstick and all. I was shocked. He hadn't mentioned this to us.
    The overly conservative Christian crowd did not take kindly to us out of towners with the flamboyant singer.
    We were booed instantly, and about 2 minutes into the song, my snare ribbons broke, turning my Supra into a timbale. Crap.

Things got worse. The concession stand served hot dogs, burgers and full cans of soda, and we began getting pelted with cups, plates and whatever else.
    At that point, there was no going back. We flipped off the crowd and kept playing.
    I decided to swap out my broken snare, and as I got off my stool and bent down behind my kit, a FULL can of soda whizzed past me(where I would have been) and hit the stage. PPPPPSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH! I had never been so lucky to have an equipment issue in my life. Thanks, Ludwig. That can would have HURT.
    Our dads, bless them, found the guys who were throwing stuff and began shoving them.

I have all of this on video. It looks like a riot. There were things flying everywhere. It's amazing no one got hurt, us OR them. I was cleaning dried up soda off of my Slingerlands for weeks afterward. I had been so happy to throw some ebony Pin Stripes on them. No drunken weddings, CBGB gigs, nothing was like this.
    It could easily have gone sideways.

No more playing "backup band" after that.

Dan

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Tornado likes this.
  18. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

We used to play a club Little Dick's in Portchester NY open till 4 am (late license) band started at 11:00 -3:00, 4- 45 min sets if you can you imagine that, we worked hard for our money. This was late 70's early 80's time frame ,heavy drinking piles of blow everywhere. The joint would start to fill up around 1:30 when all the CT and surrounding NY clubs closed. By 2am they were stacked 10 deep at the bar and then things got nuts. 4am was downright unruly, time to head down to Pat's Texas Hot Chili they were open till 7am!

19. agogobil

agogobil Drum Czardine

It was crazy in that it wasn't crazy ... I've done these gigs before where it went south in no time.

Cards vs. Cubs home opener - intense rivalry at kind of a dive, but fun bar maybe 2 blocks from Busch Stadium. Beautiful day, outside venue, no cover .... a perfect recipe for all the bad stuff you could imagine would happen. Many from both sides didn't have tickets to the game, but ... it's Cards vs. Cubs! As the event progressed, people from both sides started dancing - with each other! And they partied! And NO ONE got into a fight! People were smiling, enjoying themselves and each other! Totally blew my mind ...

20. Lazmo

Lazmo Be excellent to each other...

Back in 2004, on this particular night, the first version of our original band, was last band on, out of four original bands, in a downtown Melbourne pub. It was all going well, a couple of songs in, with the place pretty packed, with our crowd and most of the other bands and their crew still there. Then, bang the front door flies open and in piles a bus load of about fifty very attractive young woman. They were all quite scantily clad, and very, very well primed. I have no idea where they came from, but they immediately took over the bar, the pool table, the dancefloor, the stage, and did pretty much anything they wanted. We all, as a band, suddenly became bigger than Ben Hur, and kicked it up a notch, they responded with outrageous dance moves and bouncing boobs and booty, going totally off. It was very good to watch. We finished with our usual anthem, and the girls were loving it, but they were not done. The bar owner, who I knew well, as we'd played there many times, said to just keep playing, so we did the last four songs again, and they didn’t notice. My wife and two of my daughters were there, and they thought it was hilarious. Within ten minutes of us finishing our extended set, they all piled out to bus, and disappeared. I’m sure to wreak joyous havoc at some other unsuspecting venue. It was an absolutely fantastic gig and we all still talk about it.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.