Custom Ludwigs

Discussion in 'General' started by Bobby, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Bobby

Bobby Very well Known Member

I probably should just ask a Ludwig dealer or contact Ludwig directly, but someone here will probably know...

Will Ludwig make a custom size drum? I recently bought a 14x20, 8x12, 14x14 kit and would like to add a 12x18 jazzette BD which I know isnt a stock size anymore.

Anyone know?

2. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Bobby said:
    I probably should just ask a Ludwig dealer or contact Ludwig directly, but someone here will probably know...

Will Ludwig make a custom size drum? I recently bought a 14x20, 8x12, 14x14 kit and would like to add a 12x18 jazzette BD which I know isnt a stock size anymore.

Anyone know?

Bobby,
    I'm sorry but unfortunately we aren't set up to make a 12x18". We do offer a 14x18" though if that would work.

Thanks,

Bob

3. Bobby

Oh Well..Thanks for the reply Robert.

4. Sonorlite

Sonorlite Forgive him for he knows not what he does.

Robert said:
    Bobby,
    I'm sorry but unfortunately we aren't set up to make a 12x18". We do offer a 14x18" though if that would work.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Robert. would a customer be able to order a 14x18", but only have one side of the shell Drilled for lugs - which would leave the customer the option of having that other side cut down & drilled by a custom builder, and still end up with what they want. Or is that out of the question - thanks for your time.

5. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Sonorlite said:
    Robert said:
    Bobby,

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Robert. would a customer be able to order a 14x18", but only have one side of the shell Drilled for lugs - which would leave the customer the option of having that other side cut down & drilled by a custom builder, and still end up with what they want. Or is that out of the question - thanks for your time.

I'm sorry but that is something the factory just doesn't do. There are a lot of logistics involved, quite a bit of it being system related issues. We try to be as custom as possible, but there are some things that simply aren't feasible for one reason or several others. Thanks all for understanding.

Bob

6. lossforgain

lossforgain Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

If I were a decision maker at Ludwig, I wouldn't let that happen either, for a couple of reasons.
    1. Ludwig would essentially be sending out a half-finished drum. That would go against the company's quality control values.
    2. The "custom builder of choice" might not do the work up to Ludwig's standards. This could possibly damage Ludwig's reputation with people who see the end result, AND/OR the product might be intentionally/unintentionally misrepresented in the future as a Ludwig offering.

7. jrfrond

jrfrond DFO Master

If Ludwig won't do it, I could clone one for you, as long as it is a finish I can reproduce if it is woodgrain, or a wrap I can obtain. You'd need to purchase the hardware from Jack Lawton, and I would custom-order a maple/poplar shell from Keller in that size.

8. LizH

LizH DFO Master

I understand why Ludwig doesn't do it, but it's the reason I ended up custom ordering a kit from elsewhere because I needed specific sizes. When I unload that much $ on a kit, I want EXACTLY what I want.

That said, I'm currently saving up my pennies for an exotic legacy kit. :D

9. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

lossforgain said:
    If I were a decision maker at Ludwig, I wouldn't let that happen either, for a couple of reasons.
    1. Ludwig would essentially be sending out a half-finished drum. That would go against the company's quality control values.
    2. The "custom builder of choice" might not do the work up to Ludwig's standards. This could possibly damage Ludwig's reputation with people who see the end result, AND/OR the product might be intentionally/unintentionally misrepresented in the future as a Ludwig offering.

Both being totally legitimate reasons and part of the equation.

Bob

10. Sonorlite

lossforgain said:

They could send it out as a 'Concert (bass drum) Tom', or a 'Gong' drum. They're Finished - but still, half a drum... :lol:

Only kidding Robert ! - and thank you for your reply. :wink:

11. blueshadow

blueshadow Just Shuffling along Staff Member Moderator

might be able to cut a 16x18 kick down to 12x18. I couldn't see cutting a new drum though... I'm anxiously waiting for my 14x18 "Jazzette" bass drum!

12. Bobby

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/replies. I'll probably just get the 14x18 stock drum. If you have 12 or 14 inches..how much of a difference is 2 mere inches? :wink:

13. jrfrond

jrfrond DFO Master

Bobby said:
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions/replies. I'll probably just get the 14x18 stock drum. If you have 12 or 14 inches..how much of a difference is 2 mere inches? :wink:

Depends on the venue. :lol: :wink:

14. jrfrond

jrfrond DFO Master

As Robert pointed out, there is a host of internal logistical reasons that Ludwig cannot do this, while a private builder can. At the very least, they would need to create a separate SKU# for the item. Then the shell would need to be custom-cut, and the indexed drilling machines would need to be reprogrammed to drill for a 12" depth, instead of the normal 14". This would all back-up the normal production flow tremendously.

15. Sonorlite

That's what i thought would be the issue, Jr --- I just wondered if they could Pull the drill bits out of one end of the machine for a coupla' minutes. :D ;)

16. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

jrfrond said:
    As Robert pointed out, there is a host of internal logistical reasons that Ludwig cannot do this, while a private builder can. At the very least, they would need to create a separate SKU# for the item. Then the shell would need to be custom-cut, and the indexed drilling machines would need to be reprogrammed to drill for a 12" depth, instead of the normal 14". This would all back-up the normal production flow tremendously.

Right on the money JR. Thanks very much.

Bob