Cutting down a fiberglass shell

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by repete, Feb 15, 2019.

1. repete

repete This one goes to eleven

I'm thinking of cutting down a bass drum shell - any tips?

2. RIDDIM

RIDDIM DFO Master

Wear a mask.

drumjinxjr, loach71 and dale w miller like this.
  3. loach71

loach71 Well-Known Member

Tungsten carbide router bits, saw blades, and titanium drill bits are your friend. Wear Tyvek overalls (like autobody technicians use) and a proper respirator. Also use sealed safety goggles. Read the MSDS data sheet on fiberglass dust and follow the recommendations. Fiberglass dust is very hazardous to your health.

RIDDIM likes this.
  4. Rik_Everglade

Rik_Everglade Very well Known Member

I've done this, I cut down Pearl FB 18" FT to make a bass drum, and I cut 13" Pearl FB shells to make awesome snares. Trust me: Have a good mask, don't breathe that crap into your lungs. There will be a lot of dust. I found that setting up the table saw worked nicely, and didn't need a special blade, the regular blade worked fine. Hold the keeper part of the shell against the rail. I was just a bit off on every cut, so count on finding a flat surface, adhere some sheets of sanding paper to that surface, and spin the bearing edge flat. If you plan on painting them, fiberglass has millions of tiny holes that you'll need to fill with a nice primer paint.

drumjinxjr likes this.