Damn Drummers.....Quit OVERPLAYING.....or is it me....

Discussion in 'General' started by Olderschool, Mar 7, 2019.

1. b/o 402

b/o 402 Wacky old coot

Tommy, I'd certainly like to understand your position. What are some good examples of music you like where "drums and bass are the canvas?"
    In any case, as others have pointed out, when I have a drummer behind me who's an excellent musician, I'm not likely to tell him to play less or play quieter: he already knows when to do that. It's the guys who play crappy that you want to turn down (or off) - like Andy did with Barney.

rock roll likes this.
  2. A.TomicMorganic

A.TomicMorganic Well-Known Member

For me it is about the music. Is what I am playing musical? Is it making the music better? Can I hear everyone else? Is the blend there? Is the groove solid? Am I avoiding the "look at me" trap? Is everyone having a good time? Stuff like that.

rock roll and Tornado like this.
  3. rock roll

rock roll Well-Known Member

Drums are my 3rd instrument but it's what I've been playing mostly for the last 15-20 years.(and I should be soo much better than I am by now) .
    I'm a groove guy no matter what instrument.
    And ... Hell yes .. Too many drummers over play.
    I've seen some that you might as well put them out front.
    Constant rolls every chance they get.
    There is a happy medium of course...

I've seen bad playing/timing with constant rolls with the drunk patrons lovin it.
    So I've learned most people don't pay attention like we do.
    We're the rhythm section, we hear everything.

Maggot likes this.
  4. rock roll

You play to the level the band needs you to play at.
    As for multi drummer gigs, which I like, I don't mind sharing shells but I do mind sharing cymbals...or to be more specific..crashes. I don't mind sharing rides and hi hats, but if a crash gets cracked ... It's going to be me doing it.(I've never cracked a cymbal yet) but others have .i actually put together a sabian pro cymbal set just for multi drummer gigs. They sound decent and if one gets cracked there cheap enough to replace.and I don't have to worry about the Keith moon wannabes who get invited up for a song or two.

5. rock roll

Agree on communication, but it's tough to do , Soo many musicians are sensitive.

6. Mongrel

Mongrel Very well Known Member

You talkin' about ME?!

rock roll and GeneZ like this.
  7. Maggot

Maggot Well-Known Member

Like @rock roll drums are my third instrument. I frequently played in bands with drummers who I thought overplayed, but I've also fronted trios. When I'd play with a drummer who had a more restrained style, the energy level could flag, depending on how the songs were arranged and the who the other musicians were. My real band had a non-drummer drummer who overplayed and had intermittent technical limitations, like an inconsistent bass drum foot. But his fills were punctual, he played loud, and he was great at arranging parts, cuing and taking up space, so it worked for that band at that time.

My last trio was with a real pocket drummer and bass player. I loved it at first, but after a while I got frustrated with the fact that if anything was ever gonna happen in a song, I was gonna have to do it. I started to think that the rhythm guys, grooving though they were, were a little too diffident because I'd have to go from singing to guitar soloing to talking, etc, and they got to act normal, y'know. There was no one else to to go out on a limb. I started to think that they were conspiring to make me look like an a-hole, in the straight man style. Logistics were keeping us a trio at the time. The last straw came when I asked the drummer to give me a crash hit or a fill after 8 bars because I was singing, playing leads, stepping on pedals, etc. and I sometimes lost track of the count. His response: "No". That was about it for that band.

I mostly play to record my own tunes. My skills are a little bit marginal for gigging. I usually have a drum part for a part of the song, and my transitions, although they can contain fills, are entirely premeditated. If I overplay, I will not make it through the gig. If there's a jam, I go for Al Jackson Jr. but usually end up at Mo Tucker.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 4:01 PM
    rock roll likes this.
  8. rock roll

Amen brother.

jptrickster likes this.
  9. rock roll

Wow, no is not an acceptable answer.
    I like that your communicating what you need.
    It should always be about the sound and how to improve it.
    Also ... I'm a big al Jackson Jr. fan. .... What grooves , so simple.

10. rock roll

I thought it was bass should be felt rather than heard. Lol.

11. Tornado

Tornado Very well Known Member

Guitarist turns around...."why are you guys still here?"

12. rock roll

Some people will be into themselves and their playing, concentrating mostly on what they are doing.
    Not everyone will or even can listen to what every person in the band is playing at the same time as themselves. It's why conductors are so speacial.
    And after a gig the drunks will convince you it was great.

13. rock roll

Lol. Waiting for your leftovers .lol.

14. Maggot

Maggot Well-Known Member

Someone asked me if I could play desert/stoner/riff rock. I was like, "between Green Onions, Hip Hug Her and my two triplet fills, I got it covered!" It worked too!

15. rock roll

You play what's needed.
    It will mainly depend on how loud the guitarist is.

When I hear a great drummer it's the little things , the sudulties I notice, such as hi hat control, it's an instrument unto itself.

Maggot likes this.
  16. rock roll

Yes, it all depends on the song.

Maggot likes this.
  17. Maggot

Maggot Well-Known Member

The drummer for my current band sometimes complains that she can't hear my bass. I'm like "what do you have to hear my bass for? I listen to you." She's the fascist dictator of the beat, and rightfully so. I'm the dude with the flatwounds and the pick. If I have something she needs to hear, she'll hear it.

18. rock roll

Communication is big. Also I've found "tape is cheap". Hit the recorder and give it a 3 minute try. It usually takes longer talking about not doing it.
    Listen back and decide yes or no...you never know til you try.

19. rock roll

Chick drummer , I'm Soo jealous. I'd happily jump to another instrument.
    Have to add if she needs to hear you more , give it to her.
    Move your amp, change your tone, she needs to groove with you just as much as you need to groove with her.

Maggot likes this.
  20. Tornado

Tornado Very well Known Member

I want to hear the changes so that I'm sure I know where I am in the song. I'd prefer that to come from the bass player in case someone else is taking a solo or drops out for any reason.

rock roll and Maggot like this.