Darwin help

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by Salem street drums, Dec 7, 2018 at 9:40 AM.

1. Salem street drums

Salem street drums DFO Sponsor Sponsor

found a set for sale locally ( I have not seen the kit in person ). The seller is saying these are jasper shells? I was under the impression that all of these shells were fiberglass. I’m not real familiar with Darwin’s......any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. lcondo123

lcondo123 Well-Known Member

Darwin Drums bought out Corder Drums, which bought out Fibes Drums. Fibes drums were fiberglass, Corder drums switched over to wood sheels (jasper) with Fibes hardware, lugs, and parts. Darwin bought out Corder, and continued using Fibes lugs and hardware with jasper shells, but with Pearl-style tome mounts instead.
    I had a Corder kit and it was a stellar drum set. Darwin drums are nice as well, and if you can get it for a good deal, I would jump on that. They are in fact jasper shells.

squidart likes this.
  3. tmc333

tmc333 Very well Known Member

What the poster said above is true. I’ve had all three drum brands. The set of Darwin drums that I had sounded great. I recall the bass drum being Keller and the toms being Jasper. One set of Corder drums that I had was actually Keller and the other was Jasper.

4. squidart

squidart Well-Known Member

And there you have it: Darwin’s Evolution.

5. Salem street drums

F6247A98-AB7A-4779-A762-9EFCE375D6A7.jpeg I went and picked them up today. Rewraped....but they did a good job.

squidart and cutaway79 like this.
  6. cutaway79

cutaway79 Well-Known Member

Very nice! I remember seeing ads for Darwin drums in Modern Drummer in the early '90s (late '80s?). They were the first company I ever saw to use the sliding bass drum tom mount (years before DW, Ayotte, Tama).

Darwin blue.jpg

7. lcondo123

lcondo123 Well-Known Member

That rewrap job looks great! Reminds me of DW stuff. If your kit has thin, 6-ply shells, then you've got Jasper. Those drums sing.

Corder bought out Fibes in 1979. Corder ceased to be in the late 80's, and Darwin was around through a good portion of the 90's. They then ended production and the Fibes name was brought back and those new Fibes were built in Austin, TX. Those Austin Fibes drums are masterpieces.

This is the Corder kit I had. I was in a tough place and had to let them go, but damn do I regret that.

Attached Files:

8. Salem street drums

I hope I got the real deal. It is definitely 6 ply. This is the only one I’ve seen with a “virgin” bass drum. Also, most of their drums were “square”. I seller told me he bought it new and rewraped it himself. It has to be one of the last ones they built.