Does Simichrome perform better than other chrome cleaners/polishes?

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by clubdate, Mar 31, 2014.

1. clubdate

clubdate Well-Known Member

In the past I've always used Turtle Wax chrome cleaner to shine up chrome plated parts, shells, lugs, etc. But I've heard a lot of jazz about simichome too. I have a project coming up with A LOT of grime and tarnish on the chrome...especially the shell which I would like to get poppin' again. Is simichrome the way to go? Does it really perform better than the other chrome cleaners/polishes out there?

2. bcarey13

bcarey13 Team Bonham

I'm not sure exactly...but I think there has to be a point of no return. I have a few different chrome cleaners including simichrome. I have been preferring Mothers Chrome cleaner and have really good results. If it's really grimy and caked on stuff at the beginning, I use Eagle One Nevr Dull wadding polish. Just tear off a little piece off of the cotton type material and go to town. It's kind of greasy/oily but cuts through sludge quickly. Then I use the Mothers Chrome Polish to finish it off.

As far as the shells go.....if it's a lacquered finish I use a good auto cleaner/wax...I've used a lot of different brands with great results. If it's a wrapped shell I use Novus 2 and 1

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

3. thin shell

thin shell DFO Veteran

I have used Flitz and Simichrome and have found them to be virtually identical. Flitz is the same thing as Zildjian cymbal polish just with different name and artwork on the tube.

4. Rich K.

Rich K. DFO Master

Noxon.

5. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

Here's the scoop, in my experience: Simichrome and Flitz are the same composition. They have just a wee bit of grit in them. They will work well on plated surfaces. Blue Magic (you can get it on the web) is the same without the grit. I swear by Blue Magic on steel, stainless steel, aluminum, brass and other metals that need to have the tarnish removed to shine. Blue Magic will not wear down the plating. However, Flitz and Simichrome can eventually wear down the plating if you use enough elbow grease.

However, chrome really only needs to be cleaned--ie, it does not tarnish--and you do not want to scratch it. Chrome is extremely hard, but it can be scratched with sandpaper, steel wool or emory cloth. Simichrome and Flitz won't scratch chrome. And while you can use Blue Magic, Flitz or Simichrome on chrome, it is a waste and unnecessary. Any decent "chrome polish" (which is really just a cleaner, ie, there is never any grit in it) will do, and will also be also easier to wipe on and off. Save the Blue Magic, Flitz or Simichrome for the metals that need it to shine.

6. Slingerland3ply

Slingerland3ply Well-Known Member

Flitz does not have ammonia in it .