drumming is becoming boring to me

Discussion in 'General' started by jccabinets, Mar 1, 2019.

1. nickrobotron

nickrobotron Well-Known Member

Join a new band with people you like and take as many risks as you can. Avoid classic rock.

Frank Godiva likes this.
  2. jccabinets

jccabinets Very well Known Member

Actually I do play guitar as well and that does help fill in the times when drums just dont sound good. Most evenings I will play drums for 20 min or so while wife showers then play my guitar for 20-30 min after that. Some nights my hands are so tiered from tightening clamps, sanding, lifting material and general work throughout the day that I can hardly grip the sticks or the pick but I do try.

3. Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer Very well Known Member

While I can add nothing new to the previous comments, I just wanted to add another voice of encouragement here. Sometimes a little step back can help add perspective and refresh the outlook. I find for myself that a mental break can be as good as a physical one. It helps me to stop over analyzing and overthinking. Were in your corner to be sure!

4. bigbonzo

bigbonzo DFO Master

Nothing was meant to last forever.....

5. pedro navahas

pedro navahas DFO Veteran

I know what you mean about your hands being tired, I do the same type of work!
    Sometimes I will play before I start my work day, it’s easy if you work for yourself.
    Also, it might be good to part with some gear and keep one set. It will eliminate that feeling of having all the gear and not playing it.
    P.S. I’ll take your Camcos ;-)

6. Nacci

Nacci DFO Veteran

Like Stevie Nicks sang in Dreams “It’s only right that you should play it the way you feel it”.

The fastest way to get throughly confused is to ask other people’s opinion.

Frank Godiva likes this.
  7. MillerMav

MillerMav Well-Known Member

Maybe learn a new instrument? I took about a year off a few years back and since then have been very focused on drumming for the last 2-3 years now. That being said I think in 2020 I am going to take time off again and learn the piano as sort of a 40th birthday present to myself. I figure when I do come back to drumming I will know all this cool new stuff from learning piano!

Another thing to look at is if you have an iPhone or iPad with Garage band. Use all those cool plug ins and write your own loop to play too. I do that sometimes and it always inspires something cool to do.

8. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

We may have a new winner for steepest tom angle lol

9. Polska

Polska DFO Veteran

Agree with Joe61 - declutter first. If it were me, I'd keep just enough gear for a gig here and there. Keep the kit that for whatever silly reason means the most to you, or simply gives you the most joy to look at. Part of your stress may be looking at all this gear and finding it overwhelming that you have it and aren't using it. That just comes from my own personal experience.

Take a break too. I pretty much stopped playing for a year when it wasn't fun anymore. Just couldn't find the motivation. I got back into it by purging some gear and then sitting down and simply cleaning what I still had. Then just sitting down and playing for fun. Not working on anything in particular, just playing grooves and fills.

My 2 cents. Best wishes!

10. bkny110

bkny110 Well-Known Member

I too, am feeling the need to step back. I am feeling that I have hit a plateau in my playing. I'm 63 and didn't play as a youngster so I've always felt that my playing would be limited. I think playing an instrument as a child is necessary to become a great or at least an accomplished player. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but as a rule it is probably true. I recently quit both bands I was playing with and don't speak with them any more. They were pissed when I quit. The band crap is just exhausting. So, no band, plateau issues, an overall lack of belief that my playing is good enough, and lots of gear, I'm at a crossroads. Time will tell. Jeff, you're not alone.

Rob

11. trommel

trommel Well-Known Member

Keep playing. Its never too late to learn or improve. However, back off a little and relax. I ride my horse when I need to get away from stress and irritating humans. It is wonderful for cleansing your spirit. Being around animals is very soothing. Oftentimes there are cute wimmens around with whom you can converse and ogle!

Challenge yourself by taking piano lessons, or learning another instrument to increase your knowledge of music, give your brain and muscles new exercises to increase their size and strength.

Get a Mohawk haircut! That will give a lot of people a lot to consider! Just do what you need to do. DON'T LET YOUR MUSICAL SELF WITHER !!!!

12. Stickclick

Stickclick Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's time for a change. You'll have to decide what to change, though. Are you sure it isn't just winter blues getting you down?

13. blueshadow

blueshadow Just Shuffling along Staff Member Moderator

Unless you need the money or the drums are in the way I wouldn't be too quick to sell them, who knows you may want them later and who cares if you're not playing them... I mean I agree drums should be played but there's plenty of drums for other drummers to find, nothing wrong with having a collection of things that aren't used that's the whole point of a collection

14. SwivoNut

SwivoNut DFO Master

Take a break. Take as long as you need... a month... a year... two...whatever. You'll know. Age doesn't matter - I'm 75 and still playing. Then if you decide you'd like to get back into it but on your own terms, consider putting an ad on Craigslist for like minded people who would like to get together and play now and then at senior centers, old folks homes and hospital rehab centers just for the fun of it. These gigs are usually for one and a half to two hours and you can play them whenever you want and as often as you want. You can work them around everyone's schedules and it's no big deal if someone wants to take a month or two off. Your audiences will be folks who can't get out to hear bands anymore and will be the most appreciative and enthusiastic audiences you ever played for. The joy of playing music again plus the personal satisfaction you'll get from bringing happiness to others will be just the tonic you need for what ails you. Good luck in whatever you do, and let me know if you want more information on how to get started.

15. prplx

prplx Well-Known Member

There are many many musicians just like you who don't want to gig. They just enjoy meeting regularly in a basement or a garage and play music. You should look for a band that don't want to gig. If there isn't one in your area looking for a drummer, you could try to start one. At a certain age, not everyone want to go out in bars an play until late at night.

Tornado, jccabinets and MasterBlaster like this.
  16. mkelley

mkelley Very well Known Member

I went through a mild case of spring cleaning in my life after my mom passed away. I decided I didn't like the work I was doing, so I found a new job and I didn't like the music I made, so I took a break. Now, I'm making new music on a completely different kit: djembe, octapad, acoustic drums . All to change it up and do something different and I'm not bored.

17. mcjaco

mcjaco DFO Veteran

I think when anything becomes more a hobby than anything else, you go through phases of boredom. It'll pass.

I just did two nights of shows a couple weeks back, and prepping for them was killer. I practiced a hour and a half every night for two weeks. I haven't sat behind my kit since. It killed my desire to play for awhile. It all comes and goes in phases.

18. squidart

squidart Very well Known Member

Jeff,
    I agree with ‘take a break and declutter’. I’ve quit playing 3 times in 52 years and sold everything. Bad decision every time. Had to start from scratch again to fill that creative void inside, not to mention the regret of selling “the” kit. Hang in there.
    Dave

19. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

For me, I have to play out. When it starts to get old, switch it up. All real good advice here. Personally, I couldn’t not have a gig.

tommykat1, ARGuy and DanC like this.
  20. BennyK

BennyK DFO Master

There's no switch inside of me that turns the whole thing off .

Maybe there's not supposed to be one.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019