drumming is becoming boring to me

Discussion in 'General' started by jccabinets, Mar 1, 2019.

1. jccabinets

jccabinets Very well Known Member

Wow! so many replies, thank you so much. I am going to take all of this advice seriously and use it to get my mojo back. Look for kits in the for sale section, I already have some in there from last fall. Im going to add a few more in the next couple of weeks. I have it down to four kits that I want to keep. If I need to sell all but one then it will be very difficult to decide form my final four which one stays. I just purchased a Rogers kit to refurb, thats something I am good at and love to do, problem is I always want to keep the finished products, guess thats why I have so many kits.

squidart likes this.
  2. jccabinets

Thank you, actually the last band I was in did 60's music and they had done some retirement homes in the past. My mom recently moved to one and I was excited about the possibility of playing for her (she has never seen me play since the 7th grade) but they more or less kicked me out. Im not sure if it was my mediocre playing or something I said about the current politics. Thats Okay though, those guys were just plain weird and not much fun at all. I never knew what they thought about my drumming, they only told me what I was doing wrong, hardly ever anything positive so I wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway. Starting a band for those reasons never crossed my mind, that is something I really need to think about, thank you so much!

3. jccabinets

Could be the winter blues having a factor, its been a tough one!

4. jccabinets

I have played guitar off and on for many years never really trying too hard to learn more than a handful of chords. Late last fall I put together a guitar circle (thats what I called it) with the pickers from one of my old bands and have been enjoying that very much. Those guys are decades beyond what I can play but I am learning a lot from them. The strange thing is one of them invited a drummer (who I know) to sit in and play the cajon. All of a sudden I find myself as a guitar player in a bluegrass style band. Its fun, I cant play any leads (yet) but I find playing rhythm comes naturally being a drummer.

5. backtodrum

backtodrum Very well Known Member

If I couldn't play with a band anymore for whatever reason, I would become bored very fast! Playing with other people and for an audience is what keeps me motivated. Just playing in a Basement or Garage to myself holds very little interest for me.

Frank Godiva, ARGuy and DanRH like this.
  6. BennyK

BennyK DFO Master

tell it like it is

7. Old Dog

Old Dog Well-Known Member

You obviously enjoy jamming with people, but don't necessarily want to be dealing with gigging. Have to find some people in a similar situation. Don't have time to gig, good players who just want to play for a couple hours ever couple weeks. "Playing along" with music can get old for sure. Great for practice, and alone time. But it's always great to jam. Good luck

8. SiGGY

SiGGY Member

9. Olderschool

Olderschool DFO Veteran

I was EXACTLY where you were. Plus I am about your age. I love music but I get bored easily with learning music and I am the type of person who has to see improvement....but not to the point where the improvement means playing stuff that is not fun like 4 way independence practice, Samba's, etc... I have got to enjoy what I am doing and also improve. Anyway here is what do and I enjoy my musical life now.

First, I gave up gigging as a job. Basically the money sucks and the bar life for six hours sucks. I recently tried to get back into a working bar gig and I felt no thrill at all. So....I play a weekly Church gig and I play at bar gigs.......but the bar gigs are only for a single set. I could stay longer but I limit myself to one set because I am a firm believer in not giving my services away and undercutting working musicians. Here is my current schedule and FYI...I play guitar at these gigs now. Anyway....On Tuesday I practice for Church. Then I go to the jail and play for the inmates (best audience you will EVER have....BTW). Then Wed. I go to the Moose Lodge and play a set of jazz/light Rock. Then, I play my Church gig on Sunday. Sometimes...I sneak in some playing on Friday or Sat at a bar or maybe a Thursday night Jam.

The key is that I get my musician fix by staying in a band or two but I don't have a commitment where it keeps me out every weekend in a lousy bar for lousy pay. Sorry...but the thrill for playing to drunks for 4 hours and leaving my wife at home every weekend has LONG lost it's luster. And on my wife's side...watching her husband play classic rock in bars every weekend has long lost it's luster for her. When I first started out it was fun for her and me but we have been married for 35 years and at our age...I enjoy watching a movie, going out to eat or even watching Netflix MUCH more than gigging.
    The other key is...and I hate to say this....is that I don't haul drum gear all over the place. Gigging on Guitar or Bass has literally saved me as a musician because I would NOT play anyway if I had to drag my drum gear out two or three times a week to play my schedule listed above. Not at my age. I now play my drums when I feel like sitting down and playing with headphones while listening to a song in my bedroom. And BTW...Drums was/is my first instrument. I was born a drummer at heart.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  10. jccabinets

Sounds like you have a great plan! My wife never did like going to a bar regardless of the genre of music. But I agree, watching a movie on Saturday night is pretty relaxing. We have been married 31 years and enjoy her so much I could never play in bars every weekend no matter what the pay is.
    I never hear of bands playing at the jail around here, that is an interesting and I bet those inmates are grateful. Do you play any Johnny Cash songs at those gigs, he just came to mind right away for some reason, haha!

11. Olderschool

Olderschool DFO Veteran

I have been involved in a jail ministry for a long time. We go have a Bible study with the inmates and play them some music. They really are appreciative!!!

shuffle likes this.
  12. Treviso1

Treviso1 DFO Master

Take lessons with someone who you connect with and learn some new stuff. It would be like eating the same meal everyday...even if it was lobster (I love lobster), eventually you would tire of it. Open the mind up, work hard at woodshedding, and you will be surprised what will happen. Don't worry about anything other than your lesson at hand. Take it seriously and you will get over this hump. Everything thing becomes boring when you do it over and over again without introducing something new. It is simply human nature. Best of luck to you!

loach71 likes this.
  13. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

Um, playing sambas and utilizing 4-way independence IS fun. To me anyway.
    It's playing 4/4 rock beats all night that ISN'T fun anymore. To me anyway.

pedro navahas likes this.
  14. shuffle

shuffle DFO Master

Have done the same in Mo. prison system, on the yard,in the auditorium/gym playing Christian rock.
    The Moors as they were called then,did not like it one bit!
    Captive audience.
    Many

15. Toast Tee

Toast Tee Well-Known Member

I think most, if not all drummers go through something like that.
    Someone said "it will pass", and they're probably right.
    I'll try and put things in a bit of perspective. I can't play, and don't know if I will again.
    I don't want to bore anyone who's heard my story, but to make a long story longer, I had a spinal fusion a few months ago. I was given the okay from my doc to start, but when I'm done I can hardly stand. Also not feeling my R foot makes it very difficult.
    Before my surgery, I was putting in several hours a day, as I was in drumming mode. My skills are eroding etc.....
    Anyway, I always heard "your health is most important". Now I get it.

Anyway, sometimes it's good to take a break. I've taken breaks for extended periods, and once my technique got back to par, I actually improved. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm always listening to music, and picking apart the drums. When I'm learning new tunes, or just practicing, sometimes I'm not listening to details.
    I guess take from that what you want.

loach71 likes this.
  16. gezz

gezz DFO Master

Absolutely Right

Gerry

Frank Godiva and loach71 like this.
  17. hardbat

hardbat Very well Known Member

Sounds like me, psychologically. I finally decided that I'm musically manic-depressive. One minute, I'm going to play full time, next minute I'm going to quit. What's keeping me interested now is I took up piano about 5 years ago and started writing tunes. Last night the trio I'm in played two of my tunes at the gig. That felt really cool.

Maggot likes this.
  18. Olderschool

Olderschool DFO Veteran

I understand...and agree that practicing independence can keep things interesting but I was commenting on the OP's issue...and I don't see how practicing independence will solve his problem of not wanting to gig anymore. I definitely could be wrong though... But to me, it didn't in anyway bring back the desire to spend the time and effort gigging the bar scene
    That great!!!
    I started writing after my Granddaughter died about 12 years ago. But my problem is that I don't have enough drive. Writing quality, thought provoking stuff and not simple three minute jingles is very hard work. At least for me. It takes me hours and hours of thinking to come up with a theme, compose some poetic abstract lyrics that are not cheesy, then write the melody and the chords. After that....I have to lay down layer on layer of instruments, one at a time until the finished product. All I can say is I have learned to respect writers much more than simply players and I wish I was lucky enough to have a core group of musicians with a ready made studio that would all contribute :)

19. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

I'm with you on this, Dan. Though I'm in a bit of a hiatus band-wise, when I do play, it's always at a jam where I can get the thrill of playing with new and old friends to a crowd. I have no interest playing in a basement to no audience.

20. Maggot

Maggot Well-Known Member

I played guitar for 25 years. I'm rock songwriter good, but not real-musician good, so I had my own style, which I sometimes got sick of. I envied young bands, discovering things that were new to them, but old hat to me. Then, about a decade ago, I took up drums, and it was great! I got to feel the excitement of being a beginner. Being merely competent at something new felt like it was opening doors. After a few years, I moved to a smaller house with rotten acoustics and sold my drum set.

One of the quirks of my guitar playing was that I'd always played in standard tuning without many effects, but after I sold my drums, I got a baritone guitar and a bunch of fuzzboxes and started playing in a vastly different style. I found that I had a real facility for those deep, palm-muted guitar sounds. I'd never even considered myself a decent rhythm guitar player before, so it was brand new.

Then I got tired of always trying to put a band together in my own image and I've always wanted to be part of a rhythm section, so I got myself a bass, so I could join a friend's band. I worked on simplifying everything I was playing, getting the dynamics right for bass, locking in with drums, choosing gear (Mustang Bass, flat wound strings, picks, etc.) so I'd have a "sound" as a bass player. I'm having a blast playing 60s-style rock, classic punk, pop, whatever.

Recently I got a yen to play some drums again, largely, I think because I've got set sitting in my living room for band practice.

I'm also skipping the years I spent as a middle-aged downhill skateboarder, barely playing music at all!

What I'm saying is, it's easy to focus on what you do and ignore what you don't do, but if you get yourself a squeezebox or a sitar or a Juno 1 or something and practice being a beginner it can kind of clear out some of the dead wood up in the brain. The point is to do something rather than nothing, and your prior interests will rotate back around.