DW 5000 or DW 9000 Double Pedal???

Discussion in 'General' started by Wesley Seeley, Mar 15, 2019 at 4:33 PM.

Tags:
  1. Wesley Seeley

Wesley Seeley Member

Those of you that own or have played both, do you have a favorite of one over the other? Please share your thoughts! Thanks!

2. Tmcfour

Tmcfour DFO Veteran

I own 2 single 5000s, and double 7000. All three are great. The 9000 is a different animal. When I have played it I feel like it's almost too smooth. I need the pedal to fight me a little bit. The 9000 is great though, just not for me.

3. Wesley Seeley

Wesley Seeley Member

Awesome stuff man! Thanks for your input! I agree that the 9000 is super smooth. I have the 5000 I was just considering upgrading to the 9000.

4. dsop

dsop Active Member

The 9000 feels entirely different. It has a light and smooth feel. I prefer it over the rest of their pedals, but I prefer Yamaha pedals over the DW stuff.
    The DW pedals have a couple weird things going on. First, the bolt to fasten the beater is on the wrong side. Second, the foot plate bangs into the cam if and when you lift your foot off the pedal on an upstroke.

Regardless, I'd opt for the 9000.

5. Tmcfour

Tmcfour DFO Veteran

I can't say I've had that happen... could you describe that a little more?

6. dangermoney

dangermoney Well-Known Member

I too prefer the 5000, probably because I've used them for decades. I replaced the stock drive shaft on my current double pedal setup with Trick retrofit drive shaft and it makes a world of difference ...

7. Tanabata

Tanabata Well-Known Member

I've played 5000's since the early 80's and always like them just fine. I bought the 9000 double pedal last year and I like the feel very much, it's very smooth. The downside is that the springs are on the inside of the upright frame, so, the tip of my shoe ends up hitting a spring from time to time. Depending on my mood, this can be very distracting. The 8000 double pedal is supposed to be great, and doesn't have the springs on the inside, but it's discontinued and a little hard to find in good shape.

8. dsop

dsop Active Member

Press the pedal all the way down, then quickly lift your foot off the pedal and the footboard will come and smack against the axle/cam.

9. Bri6366

Bri6366 Very well Known Member

For the money, I'd probably opt for the 5000s. They are great pedals. I played them for years and I'm not sure why I'm not playing them today. If money is no object, the 9000s are great right out of the box. As said above, super smooth.

10. doubleroll

doubleroll Very well Known Member

Both great pedals. I had 5000 and 9000 doubles and decided to keep the 9K. Found it to be a bit easier to dial in and felt a bit lighter and definitely smoother. Nothing wrong with the 5k and I still use a single 5k mostly for gigs where a double is not needed. I have switched to Trick Pro 1V recently but thats another story :)

11. jaymandude

jaymandude DFO Veteran

Seems like guys who are used to the 5000 ( like me) prefer that feel. I think if you're not a DW guy already then you'll like the 9000. I play single but don't like the 9 so much. Can't put my finger on it, but I suspect it's too clean.. My 5000's are older with no baseplate and super broken in.

Anyway, good luck..

12. noreastbob

noreastbob Very well Known Member

I'm pretty sure one can get used to any pedal one uses long enough, but obviously some are easier and/or more suitable enabling a higher overall level of playing to be reached.
    I stopped playing full time professionally in the late 70s when I was burying the Swivo-matic beaters on twin 24" bass drums. Before that was years of burying Speedmasters.
    In 2010 I got back into playing, buying a 20" bass and DW9002 pedals. I could no longer play burying the beater as I always had... the beater would chatter. I had to port the reso, emulate the overall tension settings on the old Swivo-matics which I still have, and play with weights on the beater shafts. A looser batter and tighter reso helped too.
    I can now bury if I choose for a shorter deader sound or allow the beater off the batter with a sort of floating ankle-foot move that evolved for a wider bigger sound.
    Which is all to say the 9000s can be daunting at first but IMO can be dialed to almost any feel you want and more and may open new frontiers.