DW-type tension rod threads & receivers

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by bellbrass, Feb 18, 2019.

1. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

I was wondering if you could buy tension rods & receivers for toms that have the finer, higher thread-count like the DW True-Pitch. I know you can buy them for snares, but I was wanting to have them on all my toms.

2. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

I found out that you can buy DW's in packages designed for toms of differing depths. Are they any products like these by Gibraltar, Cannon, etc., or does DW own the patent for rods like these?

3. Tommy D

Tommy D Very well Known Member

Yeah, you can buy them. It will cost you a lot of money and you will have to make sure that your lugs will work with the DW style receivers as not all lugs are built the same. A slightly cheaper alternative would be to buy PDP rods and receivers. They use the 32 tpi rods like DW.

4. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

Thanks. I am wanting to put them in Ludwig Classic lugs. I might just have to get the DW packs.

5. Tommy D

Tommy D Very well Known Member

Are the Ludwig lugs have receivers with hexagonal or square bottomed receivers? Also, what size are the bottoms? I have some PDP receivers I could measure and we could see if they would at least work in the Ludwig lugs.

6. idrum4fun

idrum4fun DFO Veteran

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that DW/PDP tension rods are 10-32 threaded. Standard tension rods are 12-24. I've got quite a few PDP tension rods and will check the threads.

-Mark

7. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

I took a lug off and checked - they are hexagonal receivers. Do you think the DW receivers would work?

8. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I want to say the ones I bought to replace those on a DW Craviotto snare were square on the bottom end. I think they are the same size for all DW turret (normal, not the smaller "Design/Performance"?) lugs. I ended up buying 20 of them from one of the midwest drum shops (Interstate or another one?) and they were about $2 each.

I checked eBay - the PDP oval lugs also seem to have a square design, but I have the old DW ones and can check size for you tonite......

9. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

^^^ You're correct; the DW True-Pitch receivers are square-shaped on the bottom. I've ordered a pack; I'm going to see if they fit my Ludwig Classic lugs. If they do, I will retro-fit. Those True-Pitch rods are about the only gadget I've owned that actually worked well to keep the drum from de-tuning. Index Tension rods worked, but they rattled.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  10. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

OK; I got the DW True-Pitch rods and receivers, and for the record, they do fit into Ludwig Classic lugs. Now to wait to get my kit back from Billy Baker so I can put it back together and test them out.....

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    ARGuy likes this.