Epoxy to stop cracked wrap from spreading?

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by dexter74, Jan 27, 2019.

1. dexter74

dexter74 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have a 70s Rogers Big R bass drum. On the bottom where the screw for the support pole goes, there's two cracks about 4" each. I spread epoxy over the cracks.

Its certainly not the cleanest job, but I just want to ensure the cracks won't spread. Anyone have any experience doing this? Thanks much. 20190119_175814.jpg

2. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch DFO Veteran

Where Black is the color, where None is the number
    I have a WMP Rogers marcher shell that had a few splits. I wicked some better-quality superglue (i.e. not Krazy Glue or anything you buy at a gas station) in, repeated a couple times until it was level, then wet-sanded and polished. As close to invisible as I could hope for, though I had to take the gloss of the wrap up a couple notches to hide my new extra-shiny areas.

Are the Rogers solid colors from this era a wrap or a cortex? I had a black 24", but that was 15 years and millions of dead braincells ago.

3. dexter74

dexter74 Well-Known Member

Haha. I hear ya on the braincells ; )

I'm not sure if it's a traditional wrap or cortex. To me, it looks like a standard wrap - it's also pretty glossy, and I think cortex isn't quite as glossy - though I've read that the ebony wrap from this era is cortex, so not totally sure.

Like I said, I just want my sloppy epoxy job to stop the cracks from spreading, I'm not concerned about the visual, as it's on the bottom of the bass drum, and the drum itself is a "players" drum w/ some mods.