Experience shipping to europe?

Discussion in 'General' started by renny303, Feb 3, 2016.

1. renny303

renny303 Member

Has anyone shipped a kit to Europe? I need to figure out the best way and the cost to ship a 4 piece kit to Paris. Suggestions?

2. Chunkaway

Chunkaway DFO Master

Did it, and it was a huge hassle. I had to send the kick through a different carrier as USPS would not ship something that large at a price that was not insane. I think I used FedEx for the kick, and USPS for the rest of the kit.

3. Rich K.

Rich K. DFO Master

What size is the bass drum?

4. Sairil

Sairil Well-Known Member

Anything up to 22" will ship well with USPS Priority Mail International.
    I'm in France myself and had no problem receiving a number of stuff, including my dear Slingerland kit bought from Rich K :)

5. renny303

renny303 Member

20" bass drum

6. Rich K.

Rich K. DFO Master

Easy...get a 24" cube box. Fedex has nice, heavy duty ones for $10; the UPS store charges 20 for one not as good. Home Depot has super heavy duty ones for wardrobe moving, but they're $28 each.

Cut the height down to 18". so your box is 24x24x18. Anything large and you exceed the 108' USPS limit. (Sometimes they measure.)

You can nest one or two more drums in the bass drum. Fill out the form on USPS.com. Make sure to go to the "International Priority Options."

A 40lb box would be $175 to France.

Use a lot of bubble wrap. Remove both bass drum hoops, pack T rods and claws inside a drum or in the corner of the box. Lay the hoops over the drum...saves on space and potential damage.

7. Nacci

Nacci DFO Veteran

I've shipped to Europe many times, the best price you are going to get is the USPS, nest those drums. I believe the weight limit for one package is 75lbs. Mark the customs form as a gift and value it at $75 or the recieptent will likely have to pay a VAT and Customs fees. Either way you are not going to like to cost, I know I never do.

8. Pounder

Pounder DFO Master

Yeah what they said ^^^ If necessary remove hardware. Also try to place rigid yet cushiony styrofoam outside to prevent anything coming through the cardboard to the drum although with a 20" kick there is plenty of space to put bubble wrap. Make sure bubble wrap is around the internally-placed drums and they don't move. I actually even sent a 24" bass drum to Italy one time. I did remove hardware to get it to fit. It is actually pretty reasonable, as for USPS international shipments they price by weight, not volume. They do have the above size limits, though, I would suggest going to USPS website and looking in the details page for France.

9. idrum4fun

idrum4fun Very well Known Member

Have only shipped a snare drum and a bass drum pedal to Europe, but in each case, USPS Priority Mail International was the least expensive way to go. I just shipped a Slingerland Tempo King pedal to Paris, France and the cost was $57.70 with USPS. Almost 3 times as much with either FedEx or UPS!

As to shipping a complete kit, all the above recommendations for packing are perfect! I do the same even when shipping in the continental US.

Mark

10. renny303

renny303 Member

Thanks for all the inputs. But here's where I get concerned. If you put a low value on the customs form (to protect the buyer from duties), do you still use the actual value with USPS for insurance purposes?

11. VintageDrummer

VintageDrummer DFO Master

I have only shipped cymbals... and went out of my way to make sure they are packed for a trip across the world. Customs is scary too from what I hear... tracking is non existent once it reaches the country of destination... at least when I did it. Example -- I sold the vintage zildjian to a member here located in Italy. I was able to track it out of the states... then... It took another 2 weeks for him to get. We both thought it was long gone.

Ryan

12. Rich K.

Rich K. DFO Master

Once the box leaves the US, the insurance is useless. If the buyer asks me to put a low value, I will...if he doesn't, I'll put something close but not the full amount.

Always good to have a copy of the shipping info inside the box. Also, in addition to the shipping label, put the From and To addresses in marker on the outside of the box, in case the labels get lost or ripped. (Never happened to me, but I heard of that happening.)

13. Rich K.

Rich K. DFO Master

Things take forever to get to Italy AND you're not allowed to export musical instruments to Italy, so on the customs form put something other than drums or cymbals. I heard of a black beauty being sent back to the US for that reason...and it took a long time.
    I've shipped to Italy, but I'd rather not.

14. Sairil

Sairil Well-Known Member

As far as I understand it goes together,
    Just agree on the declared amount with the buyer, because he would be the one loosing money in the unlikely event of a loss/damage, assuming he could get some money back from the insurance, which I'm quite doubtful about.
    It is against the law, but it really pisses me off having to pay VAT on used/vintage gear.

15. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

Had an auction for "no international " shipping and this guy from Germany practically begged me to ship to him so I did.
    I had previously given him a shipping estimate and he was cool with it. When came time to ship using the ebay click n ship the price was a little higher than my quote and it also increased because of insurance.

Of course he complained and said I was overcharging him. i offered to cancel the auction and give him a refund and he said no.

The problem with home printing labels and insuring overseas packages is the insurance cost is done by Ship to Shore insurance not though USPS so what I'm getting at here is the insurance cost amount is not shown anywhere on the printed labels. Unless of course you enjoy going to the Post office and spending half hour filling out all the paperwork.

The buyer gets the parcel see's the shipping cost without insurance price then thinks you over charged him and in turn gives you a
    low feedback rating on shipping fee's. And that's my little story. Seems every time I ship overseas I get the burn!!

16. Rich K.

Rich K. DFO Master

Fill out the paperwork on line. Takes a few minutes. Go to ebay and click on "send buyer an invoice" for the sold item. The click on where it says to revise the invoice and charge him the correct amount of shipping.

17. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

This probably doesn't help but I've only shipped cymbals out of the US to Australia, England, Canada, Italy and some guitar parts to Germany. I packed them just like I would any other item - well! All except the cymbal to Canada were thru eBay's int'l. shipping which was awesome. You just ship to KY and track it to there and that's it. It was squirrelly to Italy, though - the buyer was a nervous worrywart and we lost the cymbals for a few days but they did surface (the local carrier's tracking website was in Italian only!). Canada was no sweat thru a direct USPS shipment to CanadaPost or whatever it was.

Of course, I would not devalue any item as it is criminal. Also, I am guessing you can't say something's value is $20 on the box yet insure it for hundreds. On the other hand, like noted above, the USPS worker may just let it slide like not measuring the box.

Also, I have shipped kits to the East Coast that cost me $100 - $150, so $175 to Europe is a bargain!

18. RogersLudwig

RogersLudwig Very well Known Member

I shipped a 5-piece set with all of the hardware to Italy using UPS. It cost around $1,300, but it was quick and we could track the shipment during this entire trip

19. Rich K.

Rich K. DFO Master

Must have been a heck of a set!