floor tom / bass drum conversion

Discussion in 'General' started by JOE COOL, Apr 29, 2015.

1. JOE COOL

JOE COOL DFO Veteran

i have a couple of drums not being used, and i have been giving some thought to putting together a small light weight travel friendly kit.... im considering 2 options......the first being the fl tom/bass drum conversion. the floor tom is 14 x 16 . since these drums will more then likely get little to no use at least at this time, i want to find a conversion setup that would work for the lowest cost......the second option, is if i want to include a rack tom. i have a 7 x 10 matching tom, with an existing tom bracket thats set up to connnect to an independent floor stand, i would prefer to drill the drum and install a mount into the new bass drum to support the tom. again im looking for entry level hardware. but my concern then becomes, to borrow a line from the moody blues, a question of balance. will the new elevated small bass drum support the offset weight of the attached tom. if not i then have to consider an independent stand, or just leaving a rack tom out of the mix , at least to start off. anybody been down this road, or have any suggestions ?

2. atomicmorganic

atomicmorganic DFO Master

I have a 14X16 FT that is converted to a BD. I have a Dunnett mount that fits in one of the leg brackets, and I fly a 10X10 tom off of it. There is no problem. The spurs, which use the other two leg brackets, are wide enough to provide stability.

3. TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy Ringo Fire

Although it's not a conversion, the Breakbeat bass drum has no problem holding a rack tom. I even put the Atlas tom mount on it when I picked up a few when they were going for under $4, so with that little bit of added weight there's still no issue.

I converted a floor tom to a bass drum before, but I can't remember where I bought the conversion legs to turn it into bass spurs. I also added an inexpensive Pearl-style tom mount to the top to add a tom or cymbal arm, but picked up the Breakbeat kit before I could find a small tom. Looks like you already have that part covered.

4. Elvis

Elvis The King of Rock'n'Roll

Lowest cost approach I can think of, for converting a FT into a BD is to get (or make) some kind of riser to support (what will become) the back end and use the FT's own legs to support the front.
    ...kinda like this...

[​IMG]

Granted, the legs are supposed to be retracted all the way in, but this makes use of as much existing hardware as possible.
    Use some kind of riser that will attach to a trip flange and/or cast hoop.
    I suggest adding a surrogate "floor tom" over a rack tom, but whatever floats your boat.
    One piece you might want to entertain purchasing is a BD mounted cymbal arm (unless you already have one). It can be used in the unused leg bracket, which would now be at the top of the drum.
    Otherwise, just use as much existing hardware as possible, to keep costs down.
    One other nice thing about this particular setup - If you ever want / need to use the floor tom as an actual floor tom again, it converts back very easily.

Elvis

5. A J

A J DFO Master

I tried it years ago with a Pearl conversion kit. I was jamming away in the basement not really sure if I liked it or not. When I walked upstairs my wife commented "What's the matter with your bass drum. It sounds terrible!" I disassembled the kit, sold it on Ebay and never re-visited this again.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I converted a 14x14 floor strictly for quiet practice. I just drilled the holes for the Pearl Riser. The Bass Drum Spurs went into the existing floor tom leg bracket. I don't think this bass drum would hold a rack tom as far as balance.

01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg
    04.jpg

7. TDM

TDM Yapping Internet Mutt

I've used the Pearl conversion kit along with a Dunnett rail mount. Bass drum is a converted floor tom (16x12). Rack tom is 10x7. Works fine. Make sure to put heads on the front and back of the floor tom that becomes the bass drum. This provides much greater shell stability for the rack tom.

The Dunnett rail mount fits in the third floor tom leg bracket. (i.e. Two leg brackets face toward the floor and are used by the legs of the Pearl conversion kit. The remaining leg bracket faces upward, toward you, and that's where the Dunnett rail mount slides in. No drilling required. One part of the rail mount goes into the leg bracket. The other part of the rail mount rests on a rubber stopper that just sits on top of the shell.) It takes a little time to get the Dunnett rail mount adjusted correctly, but once you've got it set, it never needs changing. Works solidly. Slides on and off by loosening and tightening the leg bracket, making the rail mount compact and easy to use. You can get the Dunnett rail mount from Gibraltar. No need to deal with Dunnett.

The only reason I moved away from the Pearl conversion kit is it's heavy. I still use the legs, but I replaced the entire back assembly with a lightweight, homemade wooden block that attaches to the hoop - makes the drum much lighter. And, I still use the Dunnett rail mount. The Dunnett rail is about as lightweight a mounting solution as you're going to find and it makes great use of the third, un-used leg bracket.

8. Elvis

Good call, TDM!
    I'd forgotten about the Dunnett Rail mount.

[​IMG]

9. DrumGerry

DrumGerry Very well Known Member

I've always fancied using a floor tom with a cocktail kit's bass-drum pedal. That way you can still use it as a conventional tom. Anyone tried this?

10. Elvis

DrumGerry,

That's called a Whitney Penguin Sidekick Nesting Kit

Easy to set up...
    [media][/media]

...and they sound great...
    [media][/media]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  11. paul

paul DFO Veteran

I converted a 16x16 Gretsch tom for use as a bass drum using a Danmar riser. It requires no spurs, is very stable, and lets me use my pedal with the beater in its usual position. For a while I used it with 8x10 and 9x13 toms as a jazz kit, and got nice compliments on the sound of all three. After I got a 14x20 I retired the floor tom except for rehearsals, but it worked well and took up minimal space. I hung the toms off floor stands, but the Danmar would easily support a bass drum mount.

Attached Files:

Elvis likes this.
  12. DrumGerry

DrumGerry Very well Known Member

Nice looking/sounding drums Elvis. Thanks for the info.

13. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

I know I can buy ludwig jrs cheaper, and toys even cheaper than that. But I'm thinking about making a set for my kid. And making the bass drum to where it can become a tom when he's older has crossed my mind. Or at the very least convert into a bop or jungle kit.

14. JDA

JDA DFO Master

hoops, ts, claws , two cowbell LP holders upside down for spurs.. rail 16/12/14

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Elvis likes this.
  15. JOE COOL

JOE COOL DFO Veteran

some good info...il consider some of the suggestions...thank you

Elvis likes this.
  16. Elvis

You're welcome! =)

17. JDA

JDA DFO Master