Gon Bops

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by costanzadrums, Mar 5, 2019.

1. costanzadrums

costanzadrums Well-Known Member

if this is the wrong forum I apologize. I’m helping some friends sell two congas. I believe they are old. Can anyone date them and help me price them?

Attached Files:

2. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

3. Medium Size Dog

Medium Size Dog Well-Known Member

Two great sources for conga info are mycongaplace.com and michaelpluznick.com. According to the number code they used those years the numbers 979 mean those drums were made in September of '79. I have GB's from the seventies with a similar code. Having a drum that old with the sticker still intact means someone probably cared for the drum and if the sticker hasn't been taken off and put back on it has the original finish. In later years the sticker had a red conga head ring around the word Gon Bops and red outline around the numbers and the month and year were the last numbers of the unit number. Later than that and the last years they were made by the original owners they had a metal plate tacked on the higher end drums

4. studrum

studrum DFO Veteran

Known to be great drums, by the way!