Gretsch catalina rock kit,26" kick

Discussion in 'General' started by Snooter, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Snooter

Snooter DFO Veteran

Aurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
    Anyone have one of these kits? I am looking at a Bohnam config(13,16,18,22)
    The color is green sparkle. Looks to be in good condition. What are these worth? and are they worth the cash?

2. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

Those green sparkle ones were a Guitar Center exclusive. I remember seeing them in GC stores and thinking they were pretty cool although I never got to play one. I don't recall if they were a "limited edition" of so many but they were only available for a limited time at only one chain of stores so there probably aren't tons of them out there. I don't recall the original price but it was very reasonable, around $1000 I think...I do remember being tempted by them.

A local mom & pop type music store has the same set in black with silver flecks wrap (like anniversary sparkle) and I have heard it. It sounds very nice for the price and would only sound better with some better aftermarket heads put on it.

3. Luddite

Luddite Mostly intentional comic relief

Ludwig had a similar kit called the Accent Custom "Zep Set." The shells were pretty much identical, different lugs and mounts. I owned one---loved the kick and the floors, not so crazy about the 13 or the snare. I never could get the 13 to sound decent---I went through a bunch of head combinations and different tunings, and it never did much more than go "doink" if tuned medium or above or sound like a cardboard box at lower tunings. The snare was pretty underwhelming, too. It was the second "Philippine Mahogany" snare that I've owned (actually Phillipine Mahogany and Juniper), and I couldn't get a good sound out of either one of them. The other snare was from an Accent Custom kit that I had before the Zep Set. I wound up selling them both and getting a 300 and 302 Rocker series Chrome-over-Steel snares. They blew the two Accent Custom snares away.

4. rikkrebs

rikkrebs DFO Master

A friend of mine has a Accent Zep kit in Green Sparkle for sale for around $600ish. Not a bad kit.

5. TommyWells

TommyWells Pro/Founder

There is this kit. It has an 18 x 24 bass drum and the 13, 16, 18 toms. PLUS the 10 and 12 toms. They are in GREAT condition. They have good heads on them. They were mine....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290608577925?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

6. thebeebe5

thebeebe5 DFO Master

A black sparkle sold here in PHX for about $450 a couple months ago. Early this year a set of greens like you are considering went for $500.

7. brianb

brianb Very well Known Member

My best friend has a set of these. They were, as someone else pointed out, a GC limited finish. I would agree 100% with Luddite, everything sounds surprisingly good but the 13" is a real pain to tune. His kit didn't come with a snare, so I can't comment on that. Overall I think they are a pretty nice kit for the dough. My buddy bought his kit new and he paid $800. Hope this helps.

8. ruanddu

ruanddu Well-Known Member

Tommy - nice kit. How are the edges cut? 45, roundover, etc?

Thanks.

9. TommyWells

TommyWells Pro/Founder

The edges are 30 degree factory edges. Not a roundover. The snare drum in this particluar kit has had the inside done with 6 coats of wipe-on poly. Not thick, just enough to seal. And the snare edges have been dressed with a paste wax with hardening agent. I was playing these drums. They are in really good shape. There is a little scratch on the 13" tom, but not visible from a few feet away. Besides that scratch, they are like new. Only, I did play them for a couple of years. They were just never abused. They recorded well, as well as worked on my live rock/r and b gig.

Because of my storage situation changing and the decision not to hold on to so much stuff, I am selling a few things. This is the last drumset I am letting go. There are a few snares that i am still going to sell, just because I don't need anything that duplicates another. I have decided that I am not a collector, but a player only.