hoop claws for thin bass drum hoops

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by deegeebee, Mar 2, 2019.

1. deegeebee

deegeebee New Member

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks for all the help so far from answers I have found in existing threads in the past. Here is one I have searched around for and not found much useful, forgive me if I missed it somewhere.

I have a bit of a hack job custom kit that seems to have been thrown together from various available parts. Long story short it sounds great, looks great and I love it, but there have been a few parts compatibility issues to work through to really get it "perfect".
    The last of these issues is that the bass drum has very thin kellar hoops but cast claws that were intended for much thicker hoops. This causes some tuning issues, the worst of which being that I can't always pitch the batter head as low as I want without have some ratteling in a couple of the claws.
    Can anyone suggest some claws that would be better suited for my thin hoops? Are the old school butterly ones that I can bend smaller the only option? I would preder something with a more modern style to match the rest of the hardware.
    Does anyone have experience with "hoop lugs" like these that screw directly into hoops? I don't really love this option, but it is the only thing I have found that seems to be designed to address my problem.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dan

2. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I would either get some rubber inserts and fatten up the inside of the current claws, or consider mini bass drum lugs used on snares. I measured my mini lugs....they are 1.25" wide and will do hoops slightly over 1/4" wide.
    20190302_090106.jpg 20190302_090044.jpg

3. A.TomicMorganic

A.TomicMorganic Well-Known Member

maybe change the hoops?

4. Tommy D

Tommy D Very well Known Member

I was going to suggest these as well. There are 2 different sizes made of these. One for thin hoops, another for thick hoops, but both can be bent to accommodate any thickness of hoop.

JazzDrumGuy likes this.
  5. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Yes, I forgot to mention they are also easily bendable.....I actually have another project and need 16 of these so I'll be looking....

6. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

DeeGeeBee, welcome to the forum. I vote for gluing in a(nother) layer of rubber to take up the slack. Clean the current rubber isolators (if there are any) and the new rubber layers with alcohol and add the additional rubber layer using contact cement (and follow the cement instructions to the letter).

I'm planning to do the same thing to the hoop claws on one of my kits - if I don't manage to locate some cast claws at a reasonable deal.

GeeDeeEmm

7. deegeebee

deegeebee New Member

Thanks All. First I think l will try to track down some adhesive backed rubber or felt to line the inside of my claws. Only reason that might not be ideal is that the inside of the claws on the top is not flat, but should solve the tuning issue. Also turns out that Champagne drums I linked in the OP will make their claws to custom thicknesses, so that is another good option along with the mini butterfly style you suggested. Will let you know how it turns out.

8. deegeebee

deegeebee New Member

So I ended up trying the cheap simple DIY solution first, with generally good results. I found some adhesive backed felt sold for putting under furniture and cut some thin strips to line the inside of the claws. I had about 3 mm space to make up and the felt is about 2.5 mm thick but is somewhat compressible. One strip wasnt thick enough and led to minor tension rod splay so I went with one strip on each side. The initial fit was a bit too tight and made tuning it up the first time a bit of a pain, but possible and without the earlier ratteling issues. After sitting under tension overnight the felt is now compressed enough that the fit is snug but tuning is easy. Not the fanciest solution but seems like it worked very well and only cost five bucks and took an hour. Thanks for all your suggestion.

Dan 20190310_160139.jpg 20190310_160154.jpg