How many of you crash your ride?

Discussion in 'Cymbal Talk' started by lrod1707, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Old Dog

Old Dog Well-Known Member

Well, I started playing in the 80s, so yeah, whatever you want to call it. I sold my last set in 02 or 03. Have only been playing again for the last 3 weeks? I've missed out on SO SO MUCH. Certain things, I won't even try. Surrounding myself with 20 "crashes" and using 18" hats, I just don't relate. Which is basically where I'm coming from.
    And by old school, when I played and studied the ride was just that, a ride. NOT a crash. If we accidentally crashed, the old white haired jerk of a music teacher we had would stop the song, stare at us, and start over. I was programmed.

2. lrod1707

lrod1707 Very well Known Member

That's what I'm saying! Same story as me. That's why I started the thread because I could not understand this. Good thing is all the info I've received here. It lets me see this in a new light. When I started playing again last year, everything was different but now little by little I have become knowledgeable on everything related to drumming. Alot of researching and learning.

3. Old Dog

Old Dog Well-Known Member

Exactly! Just a ton of stuff has changed. And a plethora of information available. I'm enjoying learning about it all over again.

4. lrod1707

Me too!

5. Obiwandrumobe

Obiwandrumobe Very well Known Member

What mean Ride?

upload_2019-2-8_17-22-21.png

6. Bri6366

Bri6366 Very well Known Member

My 22" 2002 Ride crashes pretty good for a cymbal of its weight, so I crash it. In the past, my Rides tended to be heavy to the point they did not have a very good crash sound. Now even my crashes could be considered rides by today's standards.

7. lrod1707

I just received a Soultone custom brilliant 18" ride today and I put it up next to my 22" ping ride. That's gonna be the cymbal that I will learn to crash/ride. It's got a good size/weight for that purpose. I started playing with it today.

8. dangermoney

dangermoney Well-Known Member

I recently changed to a 20" K Ride from a 20" A Ping ride. I tried out several K rides before I found "the one" that I felt excelled at both riding and crashing. Now I'm really enjoying crashing the ride which is something that I couldn't do with the ping ...

lossforgain likes this.
  9. lrod1707

That's why I adapted the 18" soultone for that job. My 22" ping is not just to heavy but has endless wash. As a crash it won't stop till the end of the song LOL!

10. dangermoney

dangermoney Well-Known Member

And the smaller ride cymbal has the added advantage of lightening the cymbal bag ...

11. mgdrummer

mgdrummer DFO Veteran

Absolutely, I'll crash certain rides if it fits the music. Some of my rides are too heavy and don't work well for that, but some of my other rides can handle the Alex Van Halen/John Bonham crash-ride thing really well.

12. multijd

multijd Very well Known Member

All rides are crashes and all crashes are rides in my world.

mtarrani and Markkuliini like this.
  13. JDA

JDA DFO Master

Here you go Rod from the wayback Machine...

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&...A&ved=0ahUKEwis5JfEtrLgAhWsiOAKHZULAvkQri4IMg

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere- an album by Neil Young
    about 3 tracks there learn ya some wash ride real good
    Cowgirl in the sand, Down By the River and another one I can't think of atm.

Next week we'll do Grand Funk's 2nd album. One with the red cover.
    Or their 3rd album Or heck any of their albums..
    Grand Funk Railroad. Drummer Don Brewer.
    Look them up.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    lrod1707 likes this.
  14. gezz

gezz DFO Master

As opposed to "crashing" the edge I play accents on bow and always use the bells of crashes and Rides..
    I ride Rides and if I do crash it's "Gongy" which is because I prefer a ride with definition and not one of these paper thin sixy inch slabs of dark dry pock marked tissue paper that is the trend these days.. Yes I exaggerate BUT drummers Do not realise these days these dirty big dark crapbag cymbals CANNOT be heard in the music.. But I suppose as all there playing is done on "youtube" or social media it works for them.... Out in "clone world"... Meinl are pretty much the leader in this sonic excrement..
    I can get maybe 5 sounds out of my ride but a crash.. Is a crash cymbal for me :)
    Sorry about rant..

Gerry

Mongrel, Monty and lrod1707 like this.
  15. Ely

Ely Very well Known Member

Same here.

Johnny D likes this.
  16. cplueard

cplueard Well-Known Member

Crash it! Depends on the ride and playing situation but I generally choose rides that can crash in my given situation. I like to play pretty hard so I'm using a Sabian RBDR in that video and I think it sounds just fine when it crashes and leaves enough definition when played with the tip or shoulder. When I gotta back off on the volume and play cover gigs I have a 22" sabian arena ride that crashes nicely.

shiek_yerbouti and lrod1707 like this.
  17. Polska

Polska DFO Veteran

I don't bang away at it (crash-ride it) if that makes sense, but yes - I hit it as if it were a large crash cymbal at times. Sounds fantastic!

sabian.jpg

18. supershifter2

supershifter2 DFO Master

In the 1970's to now whatever is stamped on the cymbal does not mean anything to me. I crash and ride cymbals to see if I like them. I have 18" & 22" crash cymbals that I also ride and 20" ride cymbals I also crash. I dont crash my 24" ride because it doesnt sound good as a crash.

Johnny D likes this.
  19. lrod1707

I'm still wondering though if construction wise the designation has something to do with it? For example, if the maker calls it a ride is something about it's construction make it a ride or is a crash a crash for whatever reason? I have a 20" Mehmet crash that sounds beautiful as a crash but sounds nothing like a ride when you ride it. And I also have a 20" Paiste that is a beautiful ride but sounds terrible as a crash. And then you have ride/crash designated by the manufacturer. I wonder what makes them indicate these differences.

20. zenstat

zenstat Senior Cymbal Nerd

The morphological (shape) differences between dedicated crashes and dedicated rides are well documented. In my previous post in this thread I gave a link to the Zildjian Sound Lab white paper which goes into this, as well as the patent for taper which Zildjian had to show the longevity of the information.

The implementation may vary a bit from model to model within manufacturer as well as between manufacturers. The main differences for dedicated crashes are greater taper (metal thinning towards the edge), larger bell size (both diameter and height), and lighter weights (thus overall thinner). Sometimes manufacturers choose lower profiles (bow curvature) for ride models but in other cases it can be the opposite. But all of these parameters are subject to change from model to model to achieve different sonic ends. If you look more closely there are some designated ride cymbals with very large bells, and some small bell crashes. Some (but not all) of this is written up on my site for Avedis Zildjian, but I've got a lot more info than is shown there as well as information for other manufacturers.

In addition to the morphological variation and cymbal science, there is the marketing question of a manufacturer making a choice to subdivide the market into smaller segments (crash vs crash ride vs ride) versus the recent trend to "singles" or "multi purpose". Marketing and cymbal science need to meet in the middle for that sort of discussion.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    lrod1707 likes this.