How often do you tell yourself you'll change your set up and then don't?

Discussion in 'General' started by repete, Dec 5, 2018.

1. repete

repete This one goes to eleven

I play a 4 piece kit - hi hat, ride, 2 crashes. This is "my" set up - I love it and feel I can accomplish everything I need to do in my band with it but every now and then the idea creeps in of bringing the double pedal to a gig. Every now and then the idea of adding the 10" tom creeps in. Every now and then the idea of bringing the 18" China creeps in - I tell myself I will, visualize it all set up and how much fun it will be......and then just leave it all home....I've even brought the double pedal to gigs but ended up using a single - tell me I'm not the only one with this problem.

2. lossforgain

lossforgain Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

I play the same setup and have for years. Although I am working on rehabbing a couple of sets with 12/13/16 toms so will have to see what it's like to play them!

3. Nacci

Nacci DFO Veteran

Never. If I think that I want to try something I do it on the spot. I have three sets in my play room and they are in a constant state of flux. Sometimes, tweaks, sometimes a complete overhaul. Every one of them set up differently. It is like working out, you can not do the same workout over and over, at some point you get diminishing growth. Change is challenge and challenge is growth. Whatever your set up is, tear it down and dod something different.

4. fun2drum

fun2drum Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

That is so funny you mentioned the tom and China. I have done exactly that as of two weeks ago in my band. After years of playing only a 4 piece with two crashes and a ride at gigs, I've now added the 10" tom and 18" China to the mix. The band likes it and so do I. It's just a little more voice available to me without taking up much more real estate. Nothing wrong with a change now and then.

5. Radio King

Radio King DFO Veteran

I also play a 4 piece kit - hi hat, ride, 2 crashes. I have changed nothing since about 1982, except drum/cymbal sizes and hardware. I can relate though: I used to play 2 floors back in the late 70s-early 80s, and lately I keep wanting to reintroduce a second floor at gigs, but the stages are so darned tight these days that it makes it difficult.

6. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

How often do you change your setup and then wonder 'what was I thinking'? I *think* I have this monster kit crammed about as tight as you can place this many giant drums. Not happy with what it did to the ride cymbal. Eyeballing the space under the 10" tom just below the hats and wondering if I can live without being able to hit the bell.

Edit...dang - 22" won't fit there but a 20" might - especially if I can get the boom's pivot a few inches away from the post. This is also a STUPID place to experiment with cymbal placement while your kid sleeps in the next room. DAMHIK

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  7. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

20" actually works there, only overlaps the snare an inch or so. Hmmm i thought I was done buying crap. Now i need a 20" ride (or crash ride - not that i could crash it there)

8. lrod1707

lrod1707 Well-Known Member

Every time I play I tell myself that. Problem is that what I played years ago was a double bass 9 piece. I played that setup for years then took a break for a few years and I end up buying my new set which is the same setup minus the extra bass drum. It's been tough getting used to double pedals on a single bass drum and the body positioning is different. With double bass, you sit in the middle of it all and your feet are equally spaced on individual pedals. It felt really natural for me. Now I feel like I'm tilted and it doesn't seem as natural. Maybe I will have to adjust things around eventually. The issue is that it's a pain to move stuff around especially when you have everything nice and neat. I kind of regret not getting a double bass again. If anybody has any advice on how to move stuff around, let me know. I have the bass in the middle with the 10 and 12 mounted to it. 8 on the left and 13 on the right both mounted to the cymbal stands. And 14 and 16 floor toms.

9. bigbonzo

bigbonzo DFO Master

never.

10. icetech

icetech Very well Known Member

I had played the same exact setup since i started bout 4 years ago, a few weeks back i decided to move my toms to the left of my kick and down to almost snare height, ride directly over the kick. Has changed how i play and mostly for the better.. I think moving things around can help get out of a rutt.