I'm in love!!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by AustinFitz, May 31, 2018.

1. AustinFitz

AustinFitz Well-Known Member

Thanks! I think so too. They're the best sounding drums I've ever played that's for sure. I wish I had the equipment to record a sound clip I could post.

2. AustinFitz

Just did some research on dating Paiste 2002 hi hats and found that my 14" 2002 Sound Edge hats are from 1981. I wonder if they've been with this kit the whole time!

3. AustinFitz

Working on giving the bass drum a wipe down tonight. It's very dusty, but also covered in a super fine mist of white paint overspray. Looks like someone was spray painting too close to the drums. Luckily it's coming off with a little elbow grease. The finish looks amazing underneath besides a couple of little chips and scratches. This pic doesn't do it justice. It's so deep and glassy in person. I can't wait until I have the time to completely break them all down to bare shells and really clean them! This will have to do for now though as I have practice tomorrow. I just love everything about this kit though! It keeps getting better and better!

Also, does anyone know if this 1 black hoop is original? It looks exactly the same shape as the walnut lacquered one, and is obviously old, but I'm not sure if it came that way or not. Almost looks like the kit in the catalog has a black batter side hoop too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. wayneonthedrums

wayneonthedrums Well-Known Member

This is my favourite post Ive seen here in a while. Genuine stoke on your drums.
    We all need to appreciate what we have and get a bit of your enthusiasm.
    Congrats on the find. Nice tubs!

5. Fullerton 9/72

Fullerton 9/72 Well-Known Member

Now that's a classic 2-up, 2-down rock set, in true rock sizes: 13,14,16,18, 24!

No beer-can sized toms hanging off of cymbal stands here! :)

6. DWSlingerland45

DWSlingerland45 DFO Veteran

Man that's a GREAT kit and price! I'm curious is that a Tama throne too? Looks like one I drooled over in the music store when I was a kid.

7. AustinFitz

Thanks guys! I really am that excited about them! I've never been so in love with a drum set before! The sizes and configuration really are absolutely perfect for the '70s style classic rock, and jazz/funk influenced stuff I like to play. I've always played a 6 piece kit, but I've never had a 24" kick or an "18 floor tom before. I'm loving them though!

I can hardly walk past the kit without having to sit down and play for a while! Then every time I get up from them I smile and say to myself "Man, I love these f***ing drums!!!"

I found out the black hoop is not original though, so now I need to either find an original 24" Pearl maple hoop in Walnut lacquer, or strip the one I have and try to refinish it to match.

8. AustinFitz

I'm not sure what brand the throne is. It's definitely old though, and stamped "Japan Pat. Pending". Seems high quality being double braced. I'll get some better pics of it for you.

9. Skyrm

Skyrm DFO Master

Yes, that is definitely an 80's Tama Throne. Owned one for years - very comfy and built to last.

10. AustinFitz

I love the way it looks, and it's definitely heavy duty, but man is it uncomfortable! I think maybe the foam under the cover has just really deteriorated or something because when I sit on it my ass bones sink straight down to the hard base. It feels like sitting on a piece of bare plywood! I was thinking about trying to remove the cover and replace the foam. Like I said, I love the way it looks! The brown matches my drums nicely too.

11. AustinFitz

Man, there's really just something special about this kit to me. I wouldn't trade it for anything! No matter how bad of a day I'm having, a few minutes behind these big maple Pearls and I'm grinning from ear to ear! I just can't get over how awesome they sound! I feel like I definitely have my dream kit now as far as drums. Just need to work on upgrading my cymbals and getting a few more stands!

12. SKSMITH

SKSMITH Well-Known Member

AustinFitz, I feel the same with the USA Maple Pearls that I have. Same sizes as yours, but I added a couple of concert toms.
    They are really sweet sounding drums.
    Steve

13. AustinFitz

Yeah I figured they would sound pretty good, but I was not expecting to be totally blown away! From the very first day I got them home though I knew I had found something special. I've always dreamed of finding that perfect kit that becomes like my signature, and I believe I've found that in these Pearls!

14. El Larry

El Larry Very well Known Member

Great kit you scored there! I am in the process of trading my Granstars to a friend I sold my mid eighties Pearl DLX's to. I have missed the DLX kit since I sold it, glad to be getting it back though. I found my Pearl kit at a local pawn shop as well. I knew the owner, old family friend. He wanted 750 for them. Walnut finish with a good amount of scuffs/dings. All parts were there, I gave him $300 and took them home.

15. AustinFitz

Thank you, and that sounds awesome! You're really lucky to be able to get them back. Most people don't get that chance once they've let something go. I couldn't imagine parting with mine. I bet playing them again will feel like reuniting with an old friend! Post up some pics once you have them. I love to see '80s Pearl stuff, and I'm a real sucker for Walnut lacquer finishes! That's another reason I was so excited to find mine.

16. El Larry

El Larry Very well Known Member

This is the kit before I sold it.

Attached Files:

17. AustinFitz

Nice!!! Really pretty grain on those. I bet they sound heavenly!

18. Troyh

Troyh Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

Congrats Austin. The Pearls from that time period are overlooked gems.
    Great looking set.

19. AustinFitz

Thank you! After getting this kit and absolutely loving it I started checking out other Pearl stuff from the late '70s, and early '80s, and I really liked what I saw! I don't really see a ton of them for sale though. I'd bet that's because people are still playing them! I'd love to eventually find an all fiberglass kit from around the same time as my Maple kit to add to my arsenal.

20. Houndog

Houndog Very well Known Member

So , I take it you really like this kit .......This is awesome to read your excitement !!!