I'm in love!!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by AustinFitz, May 31, 2018.

1. Tama CW

Tama CW Very well Known Member

Interesting comment. I just had the same result with a recently acquired 20" vintage kick that's been giving me fits. I was about ready to give up after 2 weeks of tweaking...and almost always trying to go lower on the tension. I just decided to try a full turn higher on both sides. The drum woke up. So I went a bit further. More booming....a bit of echo...and easily heard over the other drums. I was happy as now it sounds like a 1960's kick. Maybe your post planted that seed in my head?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    AustinFitz likes this.
  2. AustinFitz

AustinFitz Well-Known Member

That's awesome! I'm happy to hear you finally got it sounding good. I was definitely surprised by how much of an improvement tuning up a little bit made. In the past I was actually terrified of tuning. I was always scared that if I experimented I wouldn't find any better sounds, and then I wouldn't be able to get it back to where it was originally either... That was mostly just because I had no experience though. I eventually came to my senses and realized that in order to gain the experience I needed, I was going to have to experiment! Since then I've been having a blast playing around with all kinds of different tunings. My bass drum is a perfect example of how there can be an amazing sound just one turn away from where you're at, but if you never experiment you'll never know!

3. funkypoodle

funkypoodle DFO Veteran

At the beginning of the summer I rented out my 2 Rogers kits as backline for a Sons of Kemet show. When I got them back home I set up the kit with the 20" kick. As soon as I hit the kick I heard something totally different. I tapped each bass drum head independently & realised that the reso head was cranked way up. It's something I wouldn't have instinctively done & I really enjoyed the tone & clear, controlled feel. It's one more tuning recipe I'll keep in the cookbook for sure.

4. AustinFitz

Another small update on my progress with this beautiful kit. Still loving it more and more each day! I've been doing a lot of experimenting with tuning again, and I now have no need for the DIY isolation feet I had under the bass drum spurs to combat rack tom choking!

I'm finally getting to know the kit enough to find out what it likes and doesn't like, and now both of my rack toms are singing like birds even with just the slightest tap. Turns out I didn't need RIMS mounts, or anything at all really! I just needed to spend a couple of hours with a drum key working on tuning while the toms were both mounted. I'm so excited! I'm over the moon that I'm now getting the resonance I want out of these old school shell mounts. I really prefer the look of shell mounted toms.

The choking issue was really the ONLY complaint I had about this kit, and now that it's no longer an issue I couldn't ask for any more! It really feels like I found my soul mate!

funkypoodle likes this.
  5. Marquisjohnson22

Marquisjohnson22 DFO Veteran

The local GC has a kit just like this one for sale... I might bite on it and put it on layaway. I love these older Pearl kits.

AustinFitz likes this.
  6. AustinFitz

Post some pics if you decide to go for it! I'd definitely buy more if I could afford to. It would be nice to find a snare, and maybe a 12" or 15" toms in matching Walnut lacquer. I can't seem to say enough good things about mine lol!

7. AustinFitz

I'm getting ready to replace both of the heads on my Jupiter snare, but I'm not sure what to go with. I'm thinking maybe a Hazy Ambassador snare side, but I'm totally undecided on a batter head. Anyone have any experience, or suggestions when it comes to these old COB Jupiters?

8. equipmentdork

equipmentdork DFO Veteran

A garden variety coated Ambassador or Emperor. Avoid "dry" heads. These drums don't like them at all.

Dan

9. AustinFitz

Thanks for the tip! I've been considering the Ambassador, Emperor, and CS reverse dot. Still haven't decided though.

equipmentdork likes this.
  10. AustinFitz

Finally got around to ordering some new heads for the Jupiter. I decided to keep it simple and went with a coated Ambassador batter, and an Ambassador Hazy Snare Side on the bottom. I'm excited to really clean this thing up before I put the fresh heads on. I'll post some pics once it's all done!

11. drummerjohn333

drummerjohn333 DFO Veteran

You made the right choice. Coated Ambassador on top is right for a huge majority of snare drums - for a reason.

AustinFitz likes this.
  12. AustinFitz

I forgot to mention that there are a couple minor dents in my brass Jupiter shell... None of them look very severe, and I don't see any creasing anywhere, so I'm hoping I'll be able to "massage" them out once I strip the shell of hardware. Looks like it was probably dropped at some point because the main dents are 1 behind the throw off, and 1 behind one of the lugs adjacent to the throw off.

Anyone have any experience removing dents from brass, or suggestions on how I should go about trying to straighten everything out, and make sure the shell is in round? I might would just have it repaired professionally if I could afford to, but I can't. I'm usually more of a DIY kinda guy anyway, and I've got plenty of tools!

I'm thinking maybe a plastic/rubber mallet, some soft towels, and possibly a sand bag?? I'll try to strip it down and get some pics of the damage soon. Any help is greatly appreciated!