INDe Mounts and the Power They Yield Over the Sphincter

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by Mcjnic, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Mcjnic

Mcjnic DFO Veteran

I love the INDe tom mounts. They work ... very well.
    But, when you have to drill a brand new tom ... you second guess the value as you deal with the stress of wielding a powertool over your pristine tom.

I didn't lose much sleep over the PDP Concept Classic tom drilling. I figured, if I made a mistake ... oh well. Order another tom.

IMG_6574 (1).jpg

But ... a couple of brand new Noble & Cooley Horizon toms ... different story altogether.

I do not have an appreciation for the new RIMMs kinda mounts they designed ... for the same reasons I don't like other RIMMs mounts. Oh sure, it's cool that you can just lift the drum out of the receiver ... but it's still a RIMMs mount thingy. Don't have a deep love for them.

Enter the INDe mount.

I kept starting the project and stopping it. I lacked the courage to hit that first tom with the bit.

After well over a month ... I created the measure card ... and then waited another two weeks.

IMG_6646.jpg

Then I pulled up the big boy pants and got the easy release tape and went to work.

IMG_6645.jpg

I wanted the mounts in very specific locations ... in accordance with how I mount and setup. Measure measure measure measure ... think about it ... measure again ... think a bit more ... you get the picture.

I finally drilled today.

You'd think four little holes would not be that big of a deal ... but man, they stressed the heck out of me.

IMG_6647.jpg

After the drilling and the filing cleanup work, the holes looked very clean and were precisely where I wanted them. I installed the INDe mounts.

IMG_6648.jpg

I have a big ol' smile. They work great ... as always. Such a cool design ... and doggone it if they don't allow the drum to sing like crazy.

Josh, you are an incredible engineer. Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  2. El Larry

El Larry Very well Known Member

Looks like they belong there. Nice work.

3. Mongrel

Mongrel Very well Known Member

Beautiful! Great job...

More importantly perhaps-congratulations on giving yourself permission to release the drum from the oppressive idolatry of "thou shalt not" and elevate it to "an item created to bring joy through the best use of it"!

4. zenghost

zenghost DFO Veteran

Nice work sir!!

Though I think N&C does the best job of utilizing the RIMS mount - making the best of it as far as downsides - I am with you on preferring the INDe mounts overall.

GeeDeeEmm likes this.
  5. fun2drum

fun2drum Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

Did you mean for them to be angled slightly to the right?

Okay just kidding! They look great! I just love INDe mounts - they are so versatile and look like they were custom made especially for every drum I've seen them on.

squidart, GeeDeeEmm and Mcjnic like this.
  6. cutaway79

cutaway79 Well-Known Member

Nice job! Very "clean" looking. I would've gone for the one that replaces a lug, personally (no drilling necessary). But I'm weird about drilling the previously un-drilled... They get too clingy afterward ;-)

GeeDeeEmm and dboomer like this.
  7. Pimp-a-diddle

Pimp-a-diddle Very well Known Member

Congrats on the success! You did it pretty much the same way I would; measure, measure, measure, and keep a steady hand. A couple of questions if you please:

1) Do drummers not like RIMS anymore because of the look? The hassle of finding a case that will fit? I always liked them for the resonance boost and that they seemed to add a little "bounce" to the toms which felt good to play on. I've noticed that almost all manufacturers now have their own variation on the theme that supports at the lugs rather than the hoops, but some of those mounts look far more "busy" than the original RIMS. For instance, the new Tama classics look so covered in metal it's like, "is there a shell in there somewhere"?
    So what gives?

2) What makes the INDe mount so cool?

8. Mcjnic

Mcjnic DFO Veteran

Thanks.

From only my perspective ...
    I don't like the way the RIMMs "hug" the tom ... they are never perfectly formed and when I try to manually "fit" the arc to the tom, it is never perfect ... drives me insane.
    Also not crazy about the increased difficulty in tension feel when I'm trying to seat a head.
    The spacing issues presented with the excess metal make it difficult to place two toms in a very close proximity.
    There are a few other items, but you get the idea.

Josh's design is beautiful ... simple ... and oh so effective. The drums sing. He is a drummer first ... and then an engineer. That combination is so freekin powerful. His design is genius. I can use these on different posts, different hole patterns, different angles, different sized toms ... it's all completely adjustable. These allow me to "dial in" the best resonance ... tone ... whatever I happen to be seeking.
    And they are NOT obtrusive and eyesores. They have a tendency to just blend into the drum and compliment the existing hardware. That's an insanely cool accomplishment.

For me to drill a couple of brand new Noble & Cooley toms ... that right there speaks volumes on the quality and effectiveness of these mounts.

Pimp-a-diddle likes this.
  9. Pimp-a-diddle

Fantastic. Thank you for the information! Isn't it great when we find something that just works?

Mcjnic likes this.
  10. repete

repete This one goes to eleven

I play a 1 up 1 down but do a 10” and 12” for those moments. The RIMS keep the two drums apart about 1” - I did take them off of one kit and drilled for DW tom brackets. I like the closeness I get between the toms. It’s that much closer I can get my hihat as I set up both toms on one side of the bass

11. Ray Dee Oh King

Ray Dee Oh King Very well Known Member

Great job on the drilling they look great! I'm curious why you didn't go with the non-drilling BR3?

12. Mcjnic

Mcjnic DFO Veteran

Thanks. Appreciate the words.

Why I went with the drill kind - mostly because I have a supply of these and I know that I know that I know ... they work.

Beyond that ... my cat won the staring contest and got to choose.

squidart and Ray Dee Oh King like this.
  13. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

Josh accidently sent me BR3's instead of BR2's on my last order and saved me a week of looking for my drill bits, distraction, delay and procrastination. Plus I was initially planning to sell one of the two toms i bought.

I will say that the drilled version has an advantage in shallow toms. My 10" rack tom is 7" deep. The BR3 fit, but the lugs bump. The drilled mount isnt lined up with the lug below so has more space. Otherwise, I'd say BR3 by default in the future, and BR2 for shallow toms.

14. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I am surprised you drilled new drums to add mounts to the shell, but they look professionally done...good job!

15. Pimp-a-diddle

I spent some time last night researching INDe and Josh, and I have to say that I walked away VERY impressed with what he is doing. You have to respect the time, money, and research he has put in to his company and product. There a lot of people making drums based on what they FEEL is a correct way to approach the building process, or they are taking some concepts they are familiar with and putting a few twists and turns on them to suit the client's needs. And that's okay. At the end of the day, it's all about getting that sound in your head turned in to reality and being inspired to play every time you sit down at the kit.
    That said, I don't see many if any people truly asking the question, "what can we do to get the very most optimum sound out of our shells"? It's a question that Josh has certainly answered, and I would LOVE a chance to play one of those kits! And they look great too! I love the minimalist approach he's using.

Awesome sauce.

16. Ron_M

Ron_M DFO Veteran

The quote option seems to have disappeared on me? To address Mcjnic's comment:

"I don't like the way the RIMMs "hug" the tom ... they are never perfectly formed and when I try to manually "fit" the arc to the tom, it is never perfect ... drives me insane."

This is true with most rims-style mounts, the Gauger mounts being the exception. They can be adjusted to properly fit the drum without any binding. I used these for years, worth the extra money if you like a RIMs style mount.

I fell out of love with RIMs for some of the reasons cited, and now just use standard mounts. My intention was to replace them with Inde mounts, once they were released, but never got around to it. I'm happy with sound as-is. Maybe my ears aren't as picky as they used to be. Suits me fine :)

17. cutaway79

cutaway79 Well-Known Member

You can also mount the RIMS upside down on the bottom lugs. That allows you to get two toms much closer together. And also frees up the top rim for a clip-on mic, if needed. Also great for when you need to change your batter head.

IMG_20180926_174558.jpg

ARGuy and repete like this.
  18. Pimp-a-diddle

I've never seen those kind of lugs on a Tama kit before. What series is that? Thanks!

19. squidart

squidart Very well Known Member

Well done! I’m gearing up to perform some drill hole blasphemy myself. Took advantage of INDe’s 3 pack deal going on now. Thanks for the extra shot of courage. :)

Mcjnic and shuffle like this.
  20. xsabers

xsabers World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

I did the deed long ago after getting some guidance from Josh on his thoughts on the vertical placement of the INDe mounts. It was easy and the results were outstanding I am not a handy person.