Is DFO Dying Out? ...Nope!

Discussion in 'General' started by EvEnStEvEn, Oct 29, 2018.

1. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

Seems like we've seen less activity here lately.

EDITED (8 days later) Nope. After 12 pages of replies and opinions I'd say that confirms we're not actually "dying out" here, just a slowdown and everyone still visits when they can according to many postings.

Naturally there's a slight drop in participation every year during the summer months due to family vacations, better weather, outside activities, etc.
    But has anyone noticed a significant change in the number of topics, postings and general overall participation here lately? Seems to me like it started around the time advertising was implemented awhile back. A number of folks mentioned annoying pop-up ads or trouble viewing the board and it's content on their phones, tablets and PCs. Many longtime members no longer post or have left entirely.

Right now at 11: 45 am forum stats show 98 actual members online

Total: 717 (members: 98, guests: 461, robots: 152

Weren't the number of members online much higher on an average weekday morning? I remember when they were.

I don't know if new postings and overall participation dropped after the software upgrade on 10/12 but it seems like it did. I can remember a time when we'd have 200+ members online during almost any weekday morning, that's actual members not including 'Bots' and 'Guests'.
    The New Topics page used to be a lot longer before, too.

I'd like opinions, guys. What do you think?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Mr B likes this.
  2. BBeyer

BBeyer DFO Master

I think that maybe the drummers groups on Facebook might offer people a different place to post questions

Elvis likes this.
  3. amosguy

amosguy DFO Master

Not sure, but I am holding up my end with a couple of visits daily...

4. EvEnStEvEn

Could be, since FB offers specific groups like Rogers owners, Slingerland Fangroups, Ludwig Groups, Specific cymbal groups, etc, etc..
    Except DFO always had a large membership of daily loyalists before and well after those FB groups even existed.
    I'm not seeing that now, sometimes it's like a ghost town around here. Where'd everybody go?

lanebune and shuffle like this.
  5. Nacci

Nacci DFO Veteran

My guess is that if we allowed more political rants on the Main page things would liven up some.

Mongrel likes this.
  6. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

My guess is that the political rants, thread crappers and people who generally bring down the forum are why people are leaving. Rants and complaining have all but killed the fun here.

7. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

I took a several month break. It's definitely down since then. I joined a couple various groups on FB but I've finally solidified my opinion that FB makes a crappy forum, and forums make crappy social media. They're not the same thing even though the marketing weenies like to pretend SM is the latest replacement for <insert previous format>. Especially since FB does a lousy job of segregating populations/interests.

ARGuy and tommykat1 like this.
  8. lossforgain

lossforgain Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

I'm busier than I've ever been but I try to be online at least a few times each week. Compared to other drum forums though, this place is still booming. Most online forums for drumming that I belonged to in the past are either completely shut down or have only a handful of people online at a given time. I do agree that there has been a change in tone here over the past few years and the ol' regular members we are missing here seem to be more active on the Facebook groups.

drumjinxjr likes this.
  9. Nacci

Nacci DFO Veteran

Possibly, though maybe it is the fan boys and cult of positive thinkers. Something to explore. Are people leaving? I hadn’t noticed. Are there stats to show this or is the observation subjective. Maybe a fraction of a percent has something to do with the malware you encounter when using certain device? Or some Boomers are suffering mild depression because Ringo just won’t play any of his drum parts.

polycrescendo likes this.
  10. EvEnStEvEn

Back in the early 2000s when Harry Cangany owned & ran the DrumCenter Of Indy forum (which eventually morphed into DFO) he did have a specific section for "other" topics, but that never worked out well due to: political arguments, 911 conspiracy theories and debunking arguments, vitriol, meanness, name calling, threats, back & forth, on & on & on.

Sure, it may have garnered a lot of curiosity views but was never a healthy environment for an activity specific forum. It became completely out of control so Harry removed that section, and for good reason.

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic, Nacci, but "allowing Political rants" isn't a good way to "liven-up" a drumming-specific forum, especially a well-respected community like ours here at DFO.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    drums147, drumjinxjr and Mongrel like this.
  11. APelletier

APelletier DFO Veteran

I've noticed the change as well... and yes, coincides with the change in forced advertising and the purported spyware that some have experienced. I used to frequent a fishing forum that had thousands of members... today it's a total ghost town.

drumjinxjr likes this.
  12. the_dude

the_dude Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer

I'd leave this place fast if that was the case.

harry, HosaMogami, drumjinxjr and 5 others like this.
  13. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch DFO Veteran

Where Black is the color, where None is the number
    Political ranting has been the death of larger and more active forums than this - there was a great guitar building one attached to ReRanch that would easily do a full new page or more of topics any given day. Now stuff over a year old hasn't fallen off the bottom of the first page - People just kept being allowed to drill holes in the boat, then everyone bitched about how it kept taking on water. And now the guys who ruined it have blithely moved on to ruin somewhere else like the exhausting idiot internet drama vampires that they are. May their every step be onto an even bigger Lego.

"Lively" and "Exciting" are also words that describe what happens if you throw M-80's into a Porta-Potty.

If I want to scream at people about how wrong they are, I know where to go. If I want to deal with middle-aged men with a bottomless well of emotional neediness and don't understand the difference between "good" and "bad" attention, I'm related to plenty of those, and if I hang out with them there's a chance they'll pay for lunch.

14. Grooovepig

Grooovepig Very well Known Member

Seems to have corresponded with the software update. At least that's my observation.

1966bmx likes this.
  15. jbonzo1

jbonzo1 DFO Master

There's always drumsmith!
    Oh, wait...:laughing6:

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  16. dtk

dtk DFO Master

Personally...I'm posting less because of less disposable income and the lack of frequent gigs (that aren't marching band related).

But I'm checking in at least 1x a day during the week...often much more. Weekends a little less.

And here's a wild theory...it seems that the prices in our For Sale section are up in general...would more lower prices/bargains mean more people? People do sell thru FaceBook now too.

17. EvEnStEvEn

Just my hypothesis, but it could be a combination of reasons why this board appears to have less activity:

1. Tech upgrades ( some were frustrated with overall forum changes and simply left?)
    2. suspected "malware" issues with certain devices, operating systems or browsers?
    3. Some members have retired from drumming or collecting altogether
    4. Some got frustrated about the ads here or other tech issues
    5. Some got butthurt over a certain member or members and simply flounced away in a cloud of talcum??
    1. More than a few of our frequent senior-aged contributors have passed away
    2. Facebook drumming groups lured 'em away permanently?

What do y'all think?
    ...or was it something I said, specifically?
    I mean, I once virtually cleared out a room at a party with one sentence! :D
    Hey, where'd errbody go? ;)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  18. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

I still try to check in a few times a day, don't post much though, it's all been covered, still like to see nice vintage finds though. And I really enjoyed the orriollo drum topics.

19. musiqman

musiqman Well-Known Member

It is the case on other fora as well. PDF, our Dutch Drummers-Forum. A lot of (young) people don't really want to spend the time on fora, and if they want to socialize on line, FB and the FB is it.

Also people have so much to choose from in their lives, especially now with all the online platforms and outlets.

And for me the new update isn't really working well too.

20. Rhyma Hop

Rhyma Hop Well-Known Member

Where are these ?? I am not saying you are full of it.. but where ? I check in here daily and I don't see much of that.