Jasper 8-Ply Shells

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by Glassman, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Glassman

Glassman Member

Hello. Long time lurker, infrequent poster.

As the title suggests, I have a question regarding Jasper shells. I have it on good authority that the manufacturer of a small boutique line of snare drums out of California in the early 80s sourced 8-ply shells from Jasper. I have found almost no references to 8-ply Jasper shells.

Second, I have a Corder snare I picked up a few years ago and there are references to Corder using Jasper or Keller. At the time I received the snare I noted it does not have 6 plies and assumed it was a Keller shell. Looking back now and comparing the shell on the Corder to the shell on the other boutique snare, the plies look the same. I compared it to an early 80's DW with a 6-ply Keller shell and the construction of the Keller looks completely different.

I have been researching for a few weeks now and cannot find much of anything so I am hoping someone here can shed some light. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Peterk256

Peterk256 Very well Known Member

I'm counting 7, not 8 plys.

3. Glassman

Glassman Member

There are 8 plies. The picture makes it hard to tell but there are plies of nearly identical color side by side that in the right light you can see it is 2 thinner plies and not 1 thicker ply.

4. Bri6366

Bri6366 Very well Known Member

Corder started out using Jasper shells, but then used both Jasper and Keller.

5. dtk

dtk DFO Master

i'm thinking yeah that's jasper. I think Keller would be plies of maple only (though they did a few 'recipes')

6. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

I agree those would probably be Jasper , Keller 8 ply as in Rogers xp8 shells were all maple plies during that era

7. Ron_M

Ron_M DFO Veteran

These may all be maple plies, though. The orientation of the ply may show dark because of endgrain. Not saying that's the case, but a possibility.