Just got back from the worst concert in my life !

Discussion in 'General' started by drawtheline55, Mar 15, 2019 at 1:43 AM.

1. equipmentdork

equipmentdork DFO Veteran

I saw Motley open for Aerosmith, and it was painful, just trash. It's a shame, 'cause I was ready to be impressed. I think Vince sang maybe 50% of the lyrics that night. He kept stopping halfway through lines and foisted the mic at the audience "YOU sing it!". No Vince, you're the rassin frassin lead singer. I paid to hear you, not them. Maybe you should have stayed home.

They also had political junk playing on their rear projector and took an eternity between songs, during which we were "treated" to a ground hum problem which featured what sounded like phase, flange, delay, reverb, chorus, and probably 12 other effects. It was never corrected. They stank on ice.

Aerosmith then came out and effortlessly pummeled them into the ground with, you know, a performance.

Dan

2. Topsy Turvy

Topsy Turvy Well-Known Member

Oh man, that is a fantastic response to people bitching about people talking politics at shows. What they really should say is, "I don't like this singer or that singer talking about things that I don't agree with!" If they were at a show where the artist made comments which supported their political viewpoint, I wonder if it would be something these people would be bitching about years later.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 11:18 AM
    LFBarfe likes this.
  3. Topsy Turvy

Moving on... the worst show -without a doubt - was the Black Crowes. They were "jammy" in the worst, bad Grateful Dead kind of way. They were stoned out of their mind, played like cr*p, and had "songs" go on for 10 minutes. I walked out for the only time in my life. They. Were. Terrible.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 11:28 AM
  4. Topsy Turvy

Almost 100% guarantee he was being sarcastic. I saw an artist years ago who was passionately vegan, and they ranted about meat eaters, killing animals, etc... I didn't/don't agree with some of the things they said, but it was their right to say what they wanted, as it is my right to boo or to leave. Same as at a sporting event, where people boo if their team is giving a lackluster effort. But...I don't begrudge the artist from sharing their opinion.

5. orvilleb

orvilleb Very well Known Member

Most creative artists reveal their ideology in their music. There are many artists that make great music and I like them for the melody and harmony...the lyrics, not so much. I can like their music, but not their views and still support them. Prefer they do not use the stage as their soapbox. Yes, they have a right to say what they want. But, at a concert any dialogue should embrace the whole audience. The music already expresses your positions. Attendees are there because they like your music.

lrod1707 likes this.
  6. doubleroll

doubleroll Very well Known Member

Actually it would be more like this, during a sporting event the team stops playing sports and starts a lecture ;-)

7. Ely

Ely Very well Known Member

Big +1 on him. When I saw him it was after the car wreck and he had fired all of his band. He came on stage with just a backup singer and a drummer that would sometimes get up and play bass instead of drums. Worst show ever.

8. LFBarfe

LFBarfe Very well Known Member

I doubt anybody's worldview is going to be changed utterly by Christopher Cross.

lrod1707 likes this.
  9. LFBarfe

LFBarfe Very well Known Member

Sometimes a singer I like comes out with an opinion I disagree with vehemently, and it makes it harder for me to like them. I'm oddly interested in this, though, because I genuinely have no idea where Christopher Cross would be on a scale of Woody Guthrie to Ted Nugent. He could be anywhere along that scale.

10. Tornado

Tornado Very well Known Member

If the singer said things I agree with of course it would be easier to take. FOR ME. A good 50% of the audience would disagree, and that makes it just as inappropriate. Nobody deserves to be subjected to a sermon when they paid way too much to see a music show. It's not one bit wrong for people to expect to get what they paid for.

lrod1707 and Nacci like this.
  11. lrod1707

lrod1707 Very well Known Member

Maybe or maybe not it was sarcasm. I won't go by that 100% guarantee because we don't know. Since forums are just text based, we can't truly ever know what the person is writing unless they respond with a rebuttal. I'm typically pretty good at perceiving sarcasm but in this case it didn't sound like it. And honestly whether it was or wasn't, it doesn't bother me. I respect his position and he's entitled to it because this is a forum but I was just responding with my position. And our forum is the correct place for that. But at an entertainment venue, not so much and that takes me to this: About the artists vegan position, it goes back to what we posted this week (cant remember if it was here or on another thread), I don't need to go to a show (especially paid) and hear an entertainers position on anything. I paid to hear music and not on whether he's a vegan, meat eater etc..
    That's to be discussed elsewhere. If an entertainer wants to talk about what he feels, he can do it in a forum, blog, webpage, news interview etc.. Do you know why? Because thru those means, I'm not paying but at a show I have paid for one thing and one thing only: To hear his entertainment!
    As you stated, I don't begrudge anybodies opinion as well. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The issue is in what venue you state the opinion. I think the example of the sports team is flawed. It goes back to the same thing: I'm paying! And yes I can get up and leave but guess what, I leave and still payed. So I lost my money!
    If I go to a restaurant and the food stinks, I payed for it right?
    Who has the right to complain about the food, me or the waiter? How about if you have to sit and eat and hear a server rant about political views when your paying to eat? No way!
    When money is involved, only one side is entitled to boo, complain, rant etc.. I paid for the product or service and not the provider. Their is a time and place for everything and under certain circumstances usually one side might be the one entitled (in this case the one who paid for the service, product etc..)
    Conclusion: An entertainment venue and you're an entertainer, just entertain! In a forum, blog etc.. Say what you like and I will listen!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 5:36 PM
    doubleroll and Tornado like this.
  12. Bri6366

Bri6366 Very well Known Member

That would have been Vinny Appice with Dio. I probably saw the same tour, but Pat Travers was opening. He was pretty good. Aerosmith was ok...it was when Perry and Whitford were out of the band. It certainly wasn't the Aerosmith of the later 80s with more energy. The one saving grave was Joey Kramer. He was really good.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 6:52 PM
    JRF likes this.
  13. Trommeslager

Trommeslager Member

I pay for books. If these books have ideas I don't like, I burn them! That way, I never change my mind.

14. Mcjnic

Mcjnic DFO Veteran

“Yes, Martha ... I believe this horse is in fact dead. Beaten to death, it appears.”

Ely likes this.
  15. ARGuy

ARGuy DFO Master

A fantastic response response if you're a mind reader and can speak for everyone that posted, which you can't. How about the idea that they paid to see the singer, I don't know, SING? Unless the concert was promoted as "A chance to hear your favorite songs AND the singers' views on politics and the world", I don't expect to hear it, much less want to.

lrod1707 likes this.
  16. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

My first class in college, English 101, the professor said that the more emotional a person is about his opinion, the less educated he is. Seems to be true. Ace

AustinFitz and KevinD like this.
  17. lrod1707

Wow! That's definitely a unique way of looking at things. So you are absolutely not open to thinking different based on someone elses experiences? My career is based on dealing with many many different mindsets and I'm also an educator in the Aeronautics field and I can tell you that I have never dealt with somebody that has that thought process. But OK, I guess it exists and I respect who you are. Good luck!

18. lrod1707

For the most part that is very true. Intelligence in a response is usually measured in the persons ability to use logic, reasoning and articulation. The only flaw in that is that you can't generalize everybody under that label. Because: If somebody hits a hot button (for example. they insult a family member) then intelligence is thrown out the window and emotions take over. So it depends on the argument being presented. When you feel that you need to defend yourself (or somebody close to you), you will use emotion even if your IQ is off the charts. Also note that emotion and articulation is not meant to be compared equally. I can write you a short emotional response and at the same time I can write you a logical & rational book long response using zero emotions. So the recipient needs to be the one to decide if it's emotional or rational.

19. lrod1707

By the way, Member Trommeslager responded, see post #73 (and you can see my response in post #77). He was not being sarcastic so the 100% sarcasm guarantee you stated didn't work in this case. He was just being honest in expressing how he thinks. That's why I said, never be to sure about something when something is being expressed solely in text. That guarantee can only come when you are talking to somebody face to face because you get to see their expressions and you also get to hear what they are projecting verbally.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 9:37 PM
  20. lrod1707

Yep! Imagine that.