Kent drum kit purchased - revisiting my youth and 1st drum kit in 1968

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by Tama CW, Nov 3, 2018.

1. rpludwig

rpludwig Very well Known Member

Memory fails me these days, but, IIRC, my folks bought the kit as 5-12-13-20 kit w/no floor tom, early 60's...and it came w/2 W&A rail mounts installed...go figure.

I sold/traded the 12 for the 15 floor tom so I'd have a more traditional 4 pc kit (hindsight shoulda kept the 12 and dumped the 13)...can't recall how/where the Gretsch floor tom leg and cymbal mount brackets came into play, but it was not from Kent, think from a local drum dealer's parts since I was not fond of what came w/the kit...

Still recall the glue odor at the plant on Military Road in Kenmore, (they were very liberal with their glue, as you may see inside most Kent shells.)

The kit still exists as you see it, in my brother's studio...I am pleasantly stuck with my last kit, the Slingy in my avatar...

Recut those edges, you won't regret it!

(btw, pick up some Kent lugs for that Mercury floor, convert it to a wannabe Kent and I'll send you a repro Kent badge for it...no one will ever know, 'cept those here on the forum!)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018 at 12:55 AM
    Tama CW likes this.
  2. Tama CW

Tama CW Well-Known Member

Thanks RPLudwig. I'll start keeping an eye out for Kent parts and see what I come up with. Maybe I'll run into a real Kent silver sparkle floor tom?

Why do you consider the 12 a better option than the 13? I wouldn't mind that extra height and width to make that a little easier to hit. Guess I like the bigger sound of the 13 as well. With modifying a drum, years down the road when it's out of my hands, someone will end up believing they have a KENT floor tom...and pay up for it (vs a Mercury). I'm good with having a floor tom in the same finish that was purchased not longer after the original kit was.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018 at 3:22 AM
  3. rpludwig

regarding the 12 v. 13, for some reason, some, including me have found 13's more difficult to tune, don't know why. My primary concern was/is the added weight, making the kick more tippy with those short spurs and your type of mount (or a rail mount) in a one up setup, non-issue in two up.

I've always used a bass shell mounted ride which helps to balance the weight, problem solved. Additionally, I've always favored a 12-20 over a 13-20. 13's belong on a 22 IMHO.

Don't take that floor tom comment too seriously!...and certainly not meant in a deceptive way towards a future buyer...just a half assed afterthought, nothing wrong with that Mercury, blends great with the rest of the kit and Kent floor toms are pretty scarce in any color, no need to change what you have!

BTW, I think it was Mouse who supplied me with an E.W. Kent logo for the bass reso head, adds a nice touch to the kit...might wanna look into that...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018 at 1:14 PM
  4. Tama CW

No need for a E.W. Kent logo on my bass heads. They are are both original Kent heads with logos....and the reso head is really nice. The Mercury heads look original too...though not labeled.

The kick could be more booming....and the short throw Kent pedal doesn't help any. The 12" is sensitive to snare rattling. But, I found a tuning position that sounds ok and avoids most of that "buzz."

So far the cymbals I like best with this kit are a 20" EAK RIDE (2575 gm), a 1960's Krut light crash (1257 gm), and an original pair of late 1950's/early 60's Zildjian hats in 'new beat' weighting (810/1225). So still working on the sound I want. I see in another post where Mouse put a Powerstroke 3 on the kick batter. I'm trying to keep it original but maybe that's the way to go...and preserve that KENT batter side head. The previous owner looked like they once used a square black patch for beater muffling - with crusty old glue and patch remnants now left behind. Lighter fluid wouldn't take that residue off. GooBeGone might be next.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 6:17 AM
  5. rpludwig

old school, try a moleskin patch on the batter & a rolled up towel tween pedal and batter...then felt strip on reso, then on to dampened heads, I like PS3 as well...

6. Tama CW

Thanks for the suggestions.

This kick probably had a beater patch on it for most of its life. I'm already using the equivalent of rolled up towel in front of the pedal...helps a little bit to reduce the ring. Felt strip already on batter head. Maybe I'll move that to the reso head? I did push up a towel against the lower reso head, but it muffled it a bit too much. This drum has a nice echoing boom when the attack is good....such as with a drum stick butt end. I'd like to have that sound all the time.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 6:46 PM