Legacy ride

Discussion in 'Cymbal Talk' started by mfryed2112, Dec 1, 2018.

1. lossforgain

lossforgain Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

This thread made me track down and buy a Legacy crash. I was looking for a 19 but found an 18 instead. Will report back when it gets here.

RickP likes this.
  2. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

Well they have arrived and I could not be more amazed at how Flippin awesome these cymbals sound sound. I'll give a good review later but one thing I will say is that the 20 inch HH crash is a great fit for the HHX legacy 19 inch crash. After playing the whole set for 10 minutes I can tell that these are life time keepers!!!

DWSlingerland45 likes this.
  3. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

Ok, let's start here, for the past 30 plus years I have been playing cymbals like this
    Zildjian ping ride,18 inch medium crash and rock crash,13 and 14 inch new beats,A splashes oriental china trash. Then going to A custom crashes, 15,16,17 and a custom splashes. All nice, all bright and fast. I moved to sabian and settled on paragon splashes and china, AAXtreme crashes, xcelerator hats and the rbdr for the ride, I like these a lot better than the Zildjian's that I had played for so long. All of these are basically replacements of the zildjians I was playing(for the most part) I use these cymbals on a large Neil Peart style setup. I recently bought a really nice thermogloss ludwig kit from the late 70's, 14,18,24 8x14 snare and the cymbals I own were not fitting in with what I wanted to go along with this kit.
    I was watching a Sabian video on Facebook one day that was showcasing some crashes, they did not list what the ride was so I asked and sabian replied quickly, it was the legacy heavy. So I watched some YouTube videos and I really wasn't all that impressed but I kept going back to the Facebook video from sabian. then I stumbled onto the legacy cymbal pack video from Sweetwater. And that brought it all together, I had played a 20 inch HH crash before and I knew it would be the perfect match to go along with this cymbal pack.
    All cymbals are loud, all cymbals cut! They are all made out of a metal alloy of some sort. Some are just made to sound and play different. Compared to what I have always owned, these do just that. The term lush is a good description. The hats and the ride play lighter than what I'm use to, softer, very nice and pleasant, not bright and not real dark, right in the middle in the best way. the open/close sound on the hats is great. The full open sound of the hats is rockin and not over powering, the ride is fun, it has a great wash and wobble to it, after crashing it you can immediately ride it and hear the stick on it, the wash that's left over doesn't over power. The bell is great and cuts through nicely. The legacy crash is thinner and slightly brighter than the HH thin, they play really well together. I'm super happy to own these, I would call them great all around cymbals that could blend in well in any setting. At the end of the day, I would say I'm a classic rock type drummer, and these fit that bill perfectly.

4. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

Lush, I like the term a lot, I was playing sweet waffles with strawberry ice cream and some ready whip , now I'm playing really good buttermilk pancakes with some chocolate chips mixed in and a really good coffee Porter to wash it all down with, lol.

funkypoodle and DWSlingerland45 like this.
  5. lossforgain

Sounds awesome Mike. I hope they keep you happy! But if by some chance you decide to sell that 19, keep me in mind!

6. Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer Very well Known Member

Perfect description of this line, I hope you enjoy them for years to come.

7. DWSlingerland45

DWSlingerland45 DFO Veteran

Im heading to order this same pack on Sunday morning. Hopefully it won't be a long wait.

8. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

I would see if you can find a video that might show the difference between these and the brilliant

9. DWSlingerland45

10. DWSlingerland45

Well......today was supposed to be delivery day for my Legacy cymbal pack. Unfortunately I just found out last night that Sabian is out of the 22" heavy rides when the order was placed so .....we wait another week or so. So instead of playing with new cymbals while the boss is at work tomorrow I'll ne returning to our regularly scheduled programming of gutter cleaning lol!

11. lossforgain

So I received the Legacy 18 crash. It’s nice, has a good middle of the road tone somewhere between HH crashes I have played and some of the more buttery Ks I have had. Actually it reminds me a lot of a K Dark Thin 18 I just sold to blueshadow. While that’s not a bad thing, it’s redundant for me so I guess I will put it back up for sale soon.

Sorry to hear about your wait and your gutter cleaning DWS!

12. DWSlingerland45

Well Jeremy, it's my own fault with the gutters .... too stubborn to pay someone to do what I can do myself, and too busy work wise to get them done. Snow on Sunday predicted so.....

13. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

Lol! I hate cleaning gutters! I get up on the roof with the leaf blower and go to town!
    I knew that these cymbals were a close relation to certain K's, the 15 inch legacy hats remind me a little of the 15 inch K light hats, but it's been a while since I've played a pair of those so my assumption might be off.

14. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

Just showing off a little

Attached Files:

15. DWSlingerland45

Beautiful set up you have there!

mfryed2112 likes this.
  16. funkypoodle

funkypoodle DFO Veteran