Ludwig Bronze/Brass Identification?

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by Bongo Congo, Mar 17, 2009.

1. rsq911

rsq911 Very well Known Member

Hi-
    It’s 3154353

2. veggo32

veggo32 Member

P1010025.JPG P1010027.JPG P1010031.JPG
    Thanks, now I'm a bit closer to actually "dating" my Bronze Black Beauty.
    I''m really enjoying this snare. it just has that thwap that doesn't quit and the tuning range is ridiculous. It sounds great tuned up or down and t's a very versatile drum.
    I don't think I would need to look to the 6.5 version as this 14x5 can go very deep and sound like a much deeper drum.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  3. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

On my bronze BB, I have triple flange brass hoops which give it too much ring. I think I am going to go back to die casts to cut the ring and give me the fundamental woody bronze tone. On my bronze Supra, though, triple flange chrome hoops work just fine....odd......

MikeyP likes this.
  4. veggo32

veggo32 Member

You have nothing to lose by experimenting with the die cast. Maybe you'll come back to triple flange down the line? maybe not.
    I noticed in its sweet spot it is a bit ringy but I don't mind it, at least its musical sounding. If you tune it up a bit higher it starts to dry out a bit but in a good way.

5. Pepins

Pepins New Member

MikeyP likes this.
  6. Hop

Hop Very well Known Member

Looks like a post-1984 drum...
    I've taken some screen shots of several of the Ludwig catalogs over the years featuring that type of drum for your reference.

Ludwig_BZ_1982.JPG Ludwig_BZ_1984.JPG Ludwig_BZ_1988.JPG Ludwig_BZ_1994.JPG

7. MikeyP

MikeyP Member

Hello old thread. Just to add to this. I bought my hammered "brass" supra 6.5 in 1992; I was told it was brass, however, it is bronze I believe. Can someone confirm from looking? Just backing up what Jazzdrumguy stated, mine has the supersensitive holes but is set up with standard wires. The serial is 325xxxx. It has the reverse B above the tone dial. It was a little aged when I bought it, so I believe it was a late 80s model. I will attach photos. Happy NY. Mike

I have an idea, can one of you elder Ludwig wizards set up a Gofund me and get a PHD on this subject? Seems that there is a gap in info on the between the 70s-90s. Maybe someone needs to be paid to interview the factory guys and girls before they pass. Is there an up to date source on the dark ages of Ludwig serials?

Attached Files:

8. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

That looks like hammered brass and tarnished a bit. I need better pics of the inside and bearing edge.

MikeyP likes this.
  9. MikeyP

MikeyP Member

Cool- really? I'll add a few more. So, to clear it up- brass oxidises and turned a bit green and bronze not? A previous poster claimed the opposite. I know that bronze should corrode much less as it's used on ships etc. Thanks in advance ;) Pics below

Attached Files:

• 9@0.jpg
      9@0.jpg
      File size:
      37.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4@0.jpg
      4@0.jpg
      File size:
      47.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5@0.jpg
      5@0.jpg
      File size:
      34.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2@0.jpg
      2@0.jpg
      File size:
      37 KB
      Views:
  10. MikeyP

MikeyP Member

If it is brass, then I'm even more confused about the bronze/brass dating issue. I guess, the snare could have been a 91 or so. I bought/traded it in a second hand drum warehouse, so provenance was not assured. This snare has seen a few gigs, so it's been through quite a bit as you can see. These photos were from a strip down from a few years ago. The snare is with one of my kits at a friend's house atm.
    Cheers,
    Mike

11. MikeyP

MikeyP Member

One more pic I found. Apologies for the newbie machine-gun posts :)

Attached Files:

• 7@0.jpg
      7@0.jpg
      File size:
      53.1 KB
      Views:
  12. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

The dark lip and inside shell (pics 4/5/7) makes me 99.9% sure it's bronze.......

MikeyP likes this.
  13. MikeyP

MikeyP Member

Cheers! I should get a test one day but I think the dating and visual evidence suggests bronze. It sure is an almighty snare. I will never sell- it has an incredible dynamic range. Maybe I'll have to get a brass 6.5 to compare one day ;) Thanks again!

14. Hop

Hop Very well Known Member

You've certainly got a Bz shell there. These things have a pretty high copper content which makes them readily identifiable.
    I brought mine to work and did a PMI test and the material composition was 88.7% Cu / 10.21% Zn. My earlier Black Beauty (~'79/'80) is 64% Cu / 31% Ni / 5% Zi, which pushes the alloy into "German Silver" "Cupronickel" territory, and despite this much copper it is not yellow but silver in appearance.

I'd be curious to see what the Ludwig "CopperPhonic" PMI result would be.

MikeyP and steveblack like this.
  15. mlucas123

mlucas123 Very well Known Member

MikeyP, that drum is bronze.

MikeyP likes this.