Ludwig Psychedelic Red Canister Throne- does it exist?

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by el_37, Jun 4, 2016.

1. el_37

el_37 Very well Known Member

Finally getting around to detailing not one but two Psychedelic Red Club Date sets that took me years to put together.

Having recently come in to possession of s Slingerland Oyster Pink Pearl setup with matching canister throne- I started wondering if a Psychedelic Red canister throne exists.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of one floating around? Since bongos and congas exist in Psychedelic Red, possibly a canister does as well?

Thoughts? Comments? Wonder if citrus and orange mod canisters exist as well.

2. el_37

I guess nobody has ever spotted one?

3. rikkrebs

rikkrebs DFO Master

Here's one I spotted years ago.

Attached Files:

Murat likes this.
  4. wflkurt

wflkurt Deafus Maximus

I have a pic of one somewhere. Not bigfoot but they do exist. I will see what I can dig up.

I have a 1970 canister throne in mod orange and Bun E Carlos has another one just like mine. I also saw a late 60's keystone badge one once that belonged to Frank DeVito. I think just about the only canister throne I have yet to see is citrius mod. Not sure if one of those exists.....

I will zip through my pics and see if I can find that pic of the psych red one as I used to keep a collection of pics that I would find that was either mod orange, psych red or citrius mod.

5. Osahead2

Osahead2 DFO Master

Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
    Hmm, I've not seen one myself... sounds pretty cool but in place of that, I actually have a next to impossible to find 1969 canister in factory thermogloss that goes with my two Keystone kit(s). So, I'm sure a psych red one exist.

6. wflkurt

wflkurt Deafus Maximus

Up until a few years ago I had never seen or heard of a natural finished one. The first one was actually one I saw in a pic from 1968 that Mitch Mitchell was using with Hendrix. It's funny because in later pics of Mitch where he is using the maple set, he seems to be using a silver sparkle throne from his earlier set. It makes me wonder if the maple throne was either damaged or lost/stolen. The set was gifted to Robert Wyatt from the soft machine and it looks like the set does not have it's matching throne.

I actually saw another maple throne in a CL ad for a maple Bonham sized set from the late 60's. I have even seen a maple cortex canister, a butcher block canister and I even owned one that was blue/silver/blue sparkle that matched a set I had from the 60's.

Attached Files:

squidart likes this.
  7. wflkurt

wflkurt Deafus Maximus

So I found these pics. I don't think I have ever seen a keystone one but I would bet one is out there somewhere....

I have no idea who owns this stuff or even where it came from. These are just pics I grabbed from various places years ago.

Attached Files:

8. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

Way to go Kurt!

9. wflkurt

wflkurt Deafus Maximus

C'mon Mike.... I bet you have hidden pics of back galaxy and sky blue sets going back years! I can't be the only freak that has been stalking pics of other people drums! Lol....

10. Osahead2

Osahead2 DFO Master

Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
    You are not the only person to collect other people's drums because I do it too...

11. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

Yeah...I save all kinda cool drum pics when I think about it. Lately have even been trying to note where the pic came from when I can.

I just wish I had known sooner( Kurt actually told me first) when Ludwig quit making canister thrones. I would have gotten at least a couple more since the vintage ones can be so hard to find.

I always wonder if a Ludwig dealer has the ability to run a locater search to see if another dealer has an item in stock, even if discontinued. Harley dealers can do this as well as GM parts departments. Can be really helpful.

Mike

12. wflkurt

wflkurt Deafus Maximus

Honestly Mike, I would think that making a custom canister throne to 60's specs might not be all that hard. They are a three ply shell that is 12x24" high and technically if you are going custom you could probably get it at any height you wanted. I think Keller could probably make the shell at least. The old ones look they have cork board for the bottom and the hardware on some of my old ones look like the latch from a tool box. The only thing I am unsure of is the metal rings on the outside that they use on the top and bottom. The other odd thing Ludwig did back in the 60's/70,s was put the badge right where the seam of the wrap is going up the whole shell. That always seemed odd to me....

13. el_37

Thanks for the pic- now if I could only find one for sale.

14. snaremania

snaremania Well-Known Member

omg that is FUNNY!

15. retrosonic

retrosonic DFO Veteran

Ive got a set of metal bass drum hoops with the psychedelic inlays if anyone is interested.

16. grumpy409

grumpy409 Very well Known Member

Greetings Everyone, I have a psych. red canister but is the later style re-issue wrap.

Attached Files:

17. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

Things of beauty! Love it. Thanks for the pics. That green sparkle sure is tasty looking.

18. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

I'm thinkin' you get some bumwrap psych red and rewrap/make your own

19. CSR

CSR Member since May 2000

Not mine...from my files...

ludwig 1968 psych throne.jpg

20. atomicdave

atomicdave DFO Master

Yep, if you're gonna make a reproduction, may as well make it to your preferred height...and, if possible, make from PVC pipe for lighter weight, as well as durable enough to actually put stuff inside for transport (not sure if many folks do/did put hardware in the throne, but certainly wouldnt with a vistalite canister throne :O )
    What is the diameter of the factory canister? There was a short lived custom snare manufacturer, called Ugly Drums, that used PVC, and their stock for shells was all 13" diameter.