Ludwig Stainless Steel kit

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by blikum, Mar 7, 2019.

1. blikum

blikum Very well Known Member

I just picked up this Ludwig Stainless Steel kit, 13 16 22. Needs a little love, but really in pretty great shape. What's my best option for cleaning up the shells a bit? I don't want to use anything that'll harm the finish.

IMG_1202.JPG

2. GoJaskill

GoJaskill Very well Known Member

Nice!! I just picked up a stainless kit myself, and I'm really excited about it. How do you like yours so far?

Let's see if we can use this thread to get all the Stainless Steel knowledge we can out of this forum! I'll start: For straight up cleaning (not repairing), I used Noxon 7 metal polish, which got them to a mirror finish. Problem is, now you can see all the scratches!

When I was done cleaning them, I put allllll new heads on everything (24-13-14-16-18 ). They sounded huge and amazing! Now a week later, I can't tune the 14 to save my life, and I'm worried it's out of round because it sounds really choked and dead at any tuning. I SWEAR it sounded as good as the rest last week, so I'm not sure what's going on, but I'd love some advice!

(Here's a pic if you want to see, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread)

Attached Files:

3. blikum

Not hijacking at all! I'd love to see everyone's SS kit. Sweet kit! And Nice pic! Thanks for the info on the polish. I just picked this one up, haven't played it yet at all, but I'm itchin' to!

4. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

Regarding your kit picture: I can remember being a teenager and living with the Ludwig catalog and wishing/dreaming/longing for a kit like that. Just imagine - two toms up top and two floor toms! Having that kit, I was convinced, would make my life perfect. And all that chrome was mesmerizing.

One of my dreams was that somehow somebody at Ludwig would hear about how much this teenager longed for one of their kits, and would take pity and send me a drum set just like the one you now own.

Hey, I guess it's not too late - are you listening, Ludwig????

GeeDeeEmm

blikum likes this.
  5. Rotarded

Rotarded Well-Known Member

I refinished abused 70's marching shells into a 12,14,18 bop kit. After planishing all the dents out, I used 300, 400,600,1000,2000 grit wet sand paper, then a buffing wheel. The 2nd pic shows 3 stages of refinishing on one drum. It is a LOT of work which I will choose not to do ever again.

20190306_141026.jpg 20180227_223122.jpg

Trilock_Gurtu and blikum like this.
  6. sksmith-1

sksmith-1 Well-Known Member

An old friend of mine has a mid 70's 22/13/16/18 SS kit.
    Greatest sounding Ludwig set I've ever heard. I've been trying to get them from him for 30 years or so, to no avail.....
    Sorry, can't help with cleaning tips, but I don't believe there is any type of protective coating on them.
    If not, I would think a good buffing would be enough to make them shine.
    Steve

blikum likes this.
  7. APelletier

APelletier DFO Veteran

Look closely at the bearing edges... I had a stainless Quadra-Plus and the 14 and 15 concert toms had snare beds crimped in the batter side bearing edges. Didn't upset me too much because I got the whole kit for $375, which has long since been flipped. I used Cape Cod Cloths on mine and they came out gorgeous!

post-9695-0-14580100-1414693604.jpg post-9695-0-30700400-1414693599.jpg post-9695-0-59880800-1414693579.jpg post-9695-0-77253100-1414693608.jpg ...

8. blikum

Cool kit! I've inspected all the bearing edges, no issues thank goodness. I'm gonna try and get the kit together this weekend.