Ludwig UFO Case latch fix

Discussion in 'Resto and Rehab tips' started by drummerjohn333, Sep 24, 2017.

1. drummerjohn333

drummerjohn333 DFO Veteran

The plastic UFO cases with the latches that are part of the molded plastic - which inevitably break off....then what to do to latch it.

I just spent about 20 minutes searching for a fix on here and through about 5 pages of Google search results - to no avail.

Is there no such fix?

I find it hard to believe this topic has not been flushed out already....but perhaps it has not - and could it be because there is NO FIX?

Let's also PLEASE see pics of the repair.

Thanks in advance.....

2. atomicdave

atomicdave DFO Master

Ive had dozens of these cases...ya, some molded, some are steel hinges, riveted on. Non an easy task to attach metal hinges so that each half meets up properly to close the case, but I think its possible.

3. drummerjohn333

Not the fix I am referring to......I suppose I should have been more clear.

I am talking about latching it shut. Yeah - people have suggested velco and bungee straps and stuff like that. I would really like to repair the latch on the left and right of the handle. Some have had metal latches there. I have seen a NOS kit sold (I missed it) as a kit to install metal latches there. Did any such thing ever exist - and if so, why in the world would they (Ludwig) ever stop making them!?!

4. 1bignordic

1bignordic New Member

Could you by chance post some pictures of your damaged case. I've repaired thousands of cases over the past 35 years. I mainly repair band instrument cases, but I've never seen a case I haven't been able to repair. Hopefully I'll have some tips for you.

5. drummerjohn333

Sorry it has taken so long to respond....pics coming up in the next post.

6. drummerjohn333

There used to be a plastic molded latch hanging off the edge of the top. They inevitably break off. Lip on top edge.

Attached Files: